Am I in a parallel universe?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Zach, hey, you made the first step - the next one may not be as hard.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Way to go Zach!
Susan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Zach--

Good stuff! It's good to see this remains important to you.

I wonder if a support group like NA would help you when you're in dire straits, like back in January. Most people think those groups are for stopping addiction, but they're really mostly about keeping it stopped.

You're in a particularly tough spot, where you have a medical need to keep taking the hair of the dog, but without eating the entire dog, so to speak. There are bound to be other people in the same boat, somewhere, who might have good ideas to make your life easier.

If nothing else, it'd be people to talk to who understand you, and that's always worth a lot.

Just an idea. Meanwhile, good work, and good luck. :)
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Neco

Post by Neco »

It is an interesting thought, but I'm not sure that I need something that drastic at this point.. I guess I feel like I have identified my problem, and I'm taking steps to help it along on my own, and have been pretty successful so far.

I feel like I have a different mindset lately.. I am thinking that week of hell made something in my brain click, and I don't intend to go through something like that ever again in the near future.

I've always maintained that ever time I have to go long periods without meds, even if it's something I've wanted to do, I walk away with a diminish tolerance for the agony. I came very close to cracking up and going temporarily nuts, otherwise I don't think I would have ever dared to brave that blizzard of a storm like I did, just to get my medicine as soon as legally possible.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Zach--

Yeah, a group like NA probably feels drastic when considering a first visit (it would to me too), but from the close family member I know who attends such meetings, it's not really like that. It's a lot more like the atmosphere here, with the supportive second family sort of feeling, but with a little more structure to it than our own cooperative anarchy. :) I've developed more respect for the 12-step style programs as I've heard more about how they work.

Thing is, that sort of thing only works if your heart is in it. It has to be the way you want to do it. If you're most comfortable handling it the way you are now, then that's where your heart is and that's the way you should do it. I'm sure you know that, you're no dummy.

Anyway, it's nice to hear about your new, improved outlook. :)
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

Zach wrote:I feel like I have a different mindset lately.. I am thinking that week of hell made something in my brain click, and I don't intend to go through something like that ever again in the near future.

Awesome to hear! Yes the "been there, done that, never again" mindset is the foundation to succeed with support and accountability partners to reinforce it. Keep up that mindset and it'll soak into your heart.

lorabell

Zack

Post by lorabell »

Hi Zack,
I am so happy to hear you are having anew mindset. Sounds like you are getting yourself pulled together, and I will speak for all of us when I say , " Good Deal Buddy'. We are all pulling for you.
Lorabell
aka
wowobl
Always remember, if you cut off your limbs, you'll have phantom rls and nothing to rub .LOL