MIRAPEX MAKES ME HUNGRY

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
lyndarae

MIRAPEX MAKES ME HUNGRY

Post by lyndarae »

Just wondering if anyone else is going through this??? I take my mirapex at night about a half hour before I plan (PLAN) ha ... to go to sleep. I swear I am not the lest bit hungry and within 15 minutes of taking it I get hungry and have to fight with myself not to eat. When I first started the Mirapex my doc was concerned because I lost over 10 pounds, well guess what folks I have now gained over 10 pounds.

I am uncomfortable with this weight gain but I saw an add on telly that said if you loose one pound it takes four off the presure of your knees....interesting. Guess I need to lock myself in the bedroom at night becuse my belly is winning the fight~~~~~~~Lyndarae
You cant be brave if you have only had wonderful things happen to you

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

YES!!!!!

I was like a robot programmed to eat....eat.....eat.....eat.

I put on 50 pounds. I lost 35 of it when I went off of it. Recently I've been trying to see if I can tolerate Mirapex occasionally. I've found a schedule that works (2 nights on, 3 or 4 nights off) without causing augmentation. BUT, even with this little amount, I've started being an eating robot again.

I made the decision last night that I just can't go near that dratted drug. I wish I could - nothing for me works better for the PLMs.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

HMMMMM Well I have been thinking about cutting back on it, years ago the clonapin worked fine for me alone, but that was years ago!!! But I think I am going to cut back by 1/2 tab every other night for a week and see how things go...
I hate being this uncomfortable in my own fat skin.........
You cant be brave if you have only had wonderful things happen to you

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Good Post Lyndarae and Ann. I also take Mirapex and did not feel like that in the beginning and then all of a sudden I was always hungry but thankfully now it has tapered off and not doing bad.

I have just noticed since last Wednesday afternoon that I started getting symptons in my right arm. It starts from the shoulder and goes down to my hand. I first thought it was something that I have done as in the beginning it was just a dull ache all day long. Now when I take my meds at night it stops within the hour after taking my meds and then it starts up again around noon the next day. It is not a the creepy crawly feeling just a constant ache. Can this be rls? I know we are not drs and cannot give exact answers but just wondering if other ones have this feeling.

Last night it ached so bad that I had kept rubbing my arm and hand and did not get any relief until I said when I took my meds it stopped.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Hi Charlene
Yes i get it in my arms i have an ache all evening and then goes to needing to move it all the time and is soooo painfull

huggles
moonlight x
sleep is not only a dream

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Charlene, I so hope you aren't augmenting.....you're pretty sure it's RLS pain?

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Seems like a lot of us have aching with the RLS. I also hope you're not having augmentation issues, Charlene. It seems like you've had a really good run with your meds being effective and all.
Susan

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Susan and Ann. I have never had it in my arm before and I take such a low dosage. I will be seeing my neurologist on the 11th of April and see what he says. I know I will not up the meds. Now right now they are fine as I am typing. I really hope that I am not augmenting as I have been doing fine for quite a while.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I hope you are not, too. I hate to say this, but I augmented on the same dose you are taking. For some of us, it just doesn't matter. And, then again, it could easily be something else. I hope it is something else - like you slept on it wrong or something.

Now, it sounds like your RLS is usually the creepy crawly, though. Do you ever have pain? If this feels a lot different, I'd think it wasn't RLS....but I suppose you could have it feel different in different areas.

Managing Your RLS

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Thanks Ann for your post. I myself hope that I just slept on it wrong. I have always had the painful rls. Never had the creepy crawlies. I am keeping a watch on it as it usually starts up again around noon time. It is actually a ache that will not go away until I take my meds at night time. That is weird as I take half of the .125mg around 4pm to stop any onset of rls but it does not stop it, of course it has been aching since around noon.

Just thought of somethng too if I was augmenting why would it just me in my arm and not my legs? In fact, it is 8:15 am and my right arm is getting that dull ache. I just do not know what to make of it.

Last night it did not bother me as we had the chat line and was on it for almost three hours of non-stop typing.

I know that we have talked about not sleeping good too. Well last night was horrible. Went to bed around 10 pm and woke up at 12:30, 2:00 am, 3:00, 4:30 and finally around 6 am I just got up.

I appreciate all of your input.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I hope so, too.

You know, if it is augmentation, I wonder if there is any "rule" about what it does....I do think that mine first became more frequent/more severe in my legs before it moved to my arms, but I'm not positive. And, I don't ever want to go through it again to be able to be sure!

Managing Your RLS

KBear

Post by KBear »

Here is a tip for those late night food cravings, try eating a handful of raw almonds or walnuts then wait 20 minutes. It might help to find something to keep you busy I know how hard it can be to fight off the desire to eat something. Maybe drink a glass of water too.

Apparently the proteins and amino acids in nuts help to shut down food cravings by sending a chemical message to the brain. The water will help to fill your stomach. I got this from the book "You on a Diet" and I probably didn't explain it that well. It's worth a try and raw nuts are good for you (in small quantities).
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Thanks Ann and Kathy for all of your tips.

Well today did not have any sensations in my arm at all today. So maybe it is something else. I sure hope so. I know that I was messing around with my meds taking less of this and am sure that did not help. I know it did not help my sleeping as last night was bad too. Hope for a decent sleep tonight.

Thanks for listening to me.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

sandrala

Post by sandrala »

Oh my gosh, it never occurred to me that the Mirapex was making me want to eat, but I've been going crazy. I find myself circling the kitchen looking for something to eat - and I know I'm not even hungry - I just want to eat! This is something to ponder: is the Mirapex craving stronger than any inner resource I have to call on? I'm just afraid it is, but I'm going to try working both sides to the middlel! I hate the idea of another medication search, but does anyone for whom Mirapex works for the creeps know of a med that could take its place without this nasty side effect? I thought falling asleep on a dime was bad, but combined with the urge to eat constantly, it's too much. Requip didn't do it for me; Neurontin seemed too heavy duty. I've tried some others whose names i can't remember. Nothing seemed to work as well as Mirapex. At least I'm not gambling - yet! All I want is the perfect solution! And to lose these pounds I've been gaining ... and to stay awake when I want to ... zzzzzzzz.
What are you grateful for?

scootermom5

Mirapex

Post by scootermom5 »

When I first went on Mirapex, within 3 months I had lost 25 pounds. I was SO excited. Now I am eater and have gained 12 back. I did go off other meds that I was taking for something else because they were supposedly making my legs worse. I wonder if the combo is what made the weight come off. Hmmmmm.... :lol: