IRON SUPPLEMENTS?????

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
lyndarae

IRON SUPPLEMENTS?????

Post by lyndarae »

hEY ALL, MY youngest daughter is 6months pregnant and has RLS. I just got an email from her today and she told me she has been taken a prenatal iron supplement and now a seperate iron tablet and it has helped her rls like never before. I had the blood work done to check my Iron and they(gatekeepers) called and said it was fine!!! But I dont remember getting a number and Im calling tomarrow about that. My question is to those of you who do take Iron can you give me an idea on what types doage ect......... I think I should take some Iron but I want to be cautious about it thank for your help as always~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

325 mg of ferrous sulfate 3 times a day is what the neuro prescribed to me and the pharmacist said that's what they give pregnant women. BUT, taking iron without knowing your ferritin levels can be dangerous! If you know they are below 50, go ahead, but monitor them every month or so. If they get too high (200 to 300) you can get toxicity from the iron.
Iron is hard to take - lots of stomach and bowel issues. Here's the "too much info" part: It is terribly constipating. I'm intolerant of dairy and it causes the opposite problem, so I've started pairing them together. I take the iron and a few hours later have some dairy. Together it makes everything seem to be sorta "normal." :oops:

Ann

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Thanks for the reply Ann,I called the clinic and they checked it for me and my ferritin level is 52 so I guess I don't need to be taking any iron. Im glad I finally got off my duff and called to find out tho. thanks again~~~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

SUGAR

iron

Post by SUGAR »

Hi there. I got my lab results yesterday, I have had my iron checked soooo many times before. it has always been low but no one seemed to notice. She said I need to take iron 325 mg twice a day and also my B-12 is low so take that also. This is going to be hard for me, (I can't remember to do anything, expecially take pills) So added to Mirapex, Vitamin E, Magnesium I get these two. I know, I am being a baby but I find it really hard to remember these. I even used one of those little box things that have the days of the week, no help. Any suggestions? Also she said if you take Iron with orange juice, it will absorb better. Just in case you didn't know. Anyways, all my rambling is done.
Love ya
Sugs

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I bought a watch that has multiple timers. It goes off, I take some meds. They also sell medication timers, too. I keep it simple: Iron when I wake up - first thing in my mouth. All vitamins after breakfast (I know throughout the day in divided doses may be better, but I won't remember). Then the timers for the Mirapex, clonazeam, neurontin or whatever I'm taking at whatever time. Then Iron again last thing before bed. The watch saves my life - without it, RLS sneaks up on me because I'm late taking the meds.

Ann