Prednisone/severe allergy treatments

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
pedrime

Prednisone/severe allergy treatments

Post by pedrime »

Hi everyone!

This allergy season is the worst I've experienced in at least 10 yrs. I'm not responding to various allergy meds, so my ENT put me on 50 mg of pred for 5 days until I have a scratch test to help him figure out what to do next.

For anyone who took prednisone--did it send your RLS into a frenzy? Mine is awful 24 x 7 since going on it and my RLS doc was kind enough to give me vicodin to counteract this (just not strong enough but at least it helps a little)

Believe me -- I cannot tell my ENT about the RLS -- great at what he does but I guarantee he would not take it seriously and I don't want to start from scratch (no pun intended) with another ENT.

What do those of you with severe allergies take long-term and how does itr affect your RLS?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That sounds awful. I haven't a clue about this, hope someone else does.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Hell, yes. I did a week of prednisone to clear up a blocked eustachian tube last year. It was miserable. As I recall, I barely slept.

It also raised my blood pressure and, since it lowers resistance to disease, promptly allowed an infection to get through the reopened tube and settle in my ear for six months, because the tube closed right back up again behind it.

Great stuff, prednisone... :roll:
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

becat

Post by becat »

Perdime, there are better allergy meds out there.

Type 1 or a
Type 2 or b

The new classes of allergy meds are not suppose to cross over into the brain. I'd at least ask a pharamcist to see if that is correct or not.

And if they do not know ask your new RLS doc about it.

I'm certain my doc and I had this talk about 2 yrs ago, so I think there might be hope.

I hope!

Lynne

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Pedrime, I need a round or two of prednisone/cortisone (depends on the doctor's mood, I guess which) every year by the end of hay fever season in the fall. Usually by then my asthma is so bad that I can't breathe, so not taking it really isn't an option.

I must be one of the lucky ones who doesn't get the bad side effects, though. It doesn't even make me hungry or hyper or give me worse insomnia than I normally have. It hasn't bothered my RLS that I've noticed either, but I'm on methadone, and not much does bother my RLS.

For long-term allergy management, I take Singulair, and either Claritin (not supposed to bother RLS) or Zyrtec (IS supposed to bother RLS) depending on how bad it gets. I switch to Zyrtec during the fall allergy season because it works much better for me.

The inhaled steroids - either nasal or bronchial - can be quite effective, but I don't like using them because I always get colds or sinus infections or bronchitis when I use them. But I'll use them if things get bad enough.

So the last time I went to the doc to get my asthma meds refilled I begged for Intal. I used that for years and had great results with it. It's not a steroid, but has a long track record of safety and effectiveness. There used to be a nose spray as well that was OTC - Nasalchrom - but it's not around anymore. It wasn't as effective as the steroid nose sprays, though, for me.

I'm just glad I only get bad allergies in the fall. I'm a walking pharmacy during that time, and it takes months for all the residual sinus infections and bronchitis to clear out.
Susan

psychick

Post by psychick »

I hate taking steroids - they mess with my sleep, my emotions, ugh.

But my RLS is aggravated during allergy season in general. I was just diagnosed with RLS last september, so right now is the first bad allergy season that I've been "aware" of it...and it's really bad right now. I'm jitterbugging through my days and not sleeping well at night, even with the neurontin and lunesta. I'm allergic to everything that grows (and dust) so I take singuliar and zyrtec year-round, but I generally have to supplement those with a decongestant at this time of year and august. Which of course makes the jimmylegs worse. But being able to breathe kind of takes priority, as Susan mentioned!