Scaired I'm addicted

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Estelita

Scaired I'm addicted

Post by Estelita »

Okay, I'm a bit worried that i'm addicted to Vicodin. I was just taking one 7.5 mg everynight and it worked like a charm then I was having to take another 1/2 in the middle of the night then I went to taking one before I went to bed and then another in the middle of the night. My problem now is that during the day I'm feeling bad. i don't want to eat, feel sick in my stomach, ache all over like I have the flu, can not concentrate on crap, actually thinking about taking the vicodin during the day and i don't need it.

i don't know what to do here. its the only thing that lets me sleep and keeps the rls undercontrol during the night. Has anyone else had this problem? if so what in the hell do i need to do? I really think that I'm having a problem here and having withdrawls. i know if I talk to my dr. about it he will take me off of it all together and i would just die if he did that. I would never sleep. please help with any information any of you may have for me.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hi Estelita. You're taking 2 7.5mg tablets a night? That just doesn't seem like a high enough dosage to develop much of a dependency, let alone problems with addiction. But the symptoms sure sound like withdrawal. I really don't know what to tell you. Have you ever tried Tramadol? If that works for you perhaps you would have less issues with dependency. Otherwise you may need to switch to a longer-acting opioid like MS Contin or Oxycontin, or something like methadone. Otherwise it sounds like you're going to be doing a lot of white knuckling.

It's really too bad that doctors freak out at dependency issues with these medications - after all it is a medical condition as well.

Best wishes with it and please keep us posted.
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I hope Josh pops in soon; he'll have a pharmacist's perspective. From what you said, it doesn't sound like an "addiction" - that is when you start craving it in your mind, too, and start doing things to get it - lying, convincing yourself you'll only do it this once, etc. But, Susan mentioned dependency and that sounds more similar - this is when your body gets used to it and goes through a withdrawal when it isn't in your system.

I don't know much about this, so please take this as it's intended - just something to think about, not advice or even real knowledge. Vicodin is a short acting opioid - every 4-6 hours is the dosing, if I remember correctly. It could be that your body got used to that and is simply saying, HEY, GIVE ME MORE! In that case, I think you probably would want to switch to something else. Chances are very good that if Vicodin worked, other opioids will work, too. As Susan said, a longer one might work better in your system.

Writing a letter to Dr Buchfurer at www.rlshelp.org might help get some good answers, too. I think the email addy is somno@earthlink.net.

Good luck, estralita. It may take a bit and you may have to try another drug or two, but you should be able to get this all straightened out.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

I don't really know what to make of this situation...

First and foremost, I have a lot of experience with Vicodin, and I am a recovering addict currently taking methadone for my RLS (and as a benefit it manages my addiction / vice versa depending on how you look at it)

What you are going through in some parts, is normal.. In some parts you need to examine your situation. I started out the same as you, only I took the 5mgs not 7.5's. At first one or two would do it, and then it took 3, and then 4.. My first mistake was taking too much trying to knock myself out. My RLS started out as a night thing also, but then it progressed into full blown 24/7 refractory RLS.

Then I started taking it to feel good, because there is just nothing like what Vicodin does to you that I have ever experience before. So I was hooked.

Now, it may be possible that you just have the flu or some kind of virus. These things do happen, but from what you have told me your dose is extremely low to be getting full out withdrawal symptoms including flu like symptoms.. It could be that you just react differently than most people, or I may be ill informed as to how much it really takes to induce those kinds of withdrawals.

Personally I had a 100mg/day habbit at one point. I had some bad leg aches, but I never got the flu like upset stomach. I did get hot and cold flashes though.. I guess it all comes down to everyone being different.

But my understanding is also if you are simply feeling this way waiting for your daily dose, then I dunno.. You truly could be sick. Are you taking any other medications? Although unlikely it could be something you are taking is forcing an opposite reaction and sending you into opiate withdrawal very rapidly. But probably unlikely.

Please answer honestly though.. Do you enjoy taking it? Does it still give euphoric side effects? Do you see yourself trying to lower your dose or at least be vigilant about it, knowing you would eventually not get a buzz (if you still do - to be fair)

This can be a hard issue to discuss with your doctor also.. I'd be scared to lose the stuff quite frankly, because even if you ASK about or suggest you have a problem, most doctors would stop prescribing right there..

I hope you just caught a bug.. But if not, you should search yourself and ask why the increase? If you truly feel its only for relief of the symptoms then that's your story.. Consider asking the doctor for a longer acting medication. There IS Tramadol as some people have noted, and it does come in a time release form, but it is brand name and will be expensive if you don't have insurance..

I can't ethically suggest time release Oxycodone (Oxycontin), because that stuff is THE DEVIL - in any form. If you think Vicodin is bad....

I personally am happy with Methadone, but a lot of doctors may balk at such a suggestion. But it's not just for drug addicts, and people can be ignorant sometimes about that.

I suggest asking your doctor about either standard or time release Tramadol (Ultram).. It is not DEA scheduled and you only need a prescription to obtain it. Don't believe the hype that it is non-narcotic though. I CAN be addictive just like other painkillers, and it DOES act on the opiod receptors (so the good news is it should work for your RLS).

There IS a seizure risk, especially with anti-depressant. I personally had one, and then suffered from micro/mini seizure for as long as I stayed on the drug after that.. But that's not the typical experience.

Hope I have helped somewhat. Honest is the best policy with your doc.. But its ok to stretch the truth a little.. Let him know you have had problems with waking up in the middle of the night.. That could easily justify a long-acting medication. And really the benefit of long acting medicines aside from their duration, is the fact they leave your body more slowly and your body "comes down" from the drug more gently. Keeping bad feelings to a minimum.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Forgot to ask... Do you ever feel your RLS in the day? even if its just a little bit? Or have you ever had sudden attacks in the daytime?

That would also explain your urge to take it during the daytime, even if it were say, a subconcious urge.

Estelita

Zach

Post by Estelita »

Yes I do have it at times during the day. it doesn't bother me during the day though becasue i can get up and move around. At night i just want to go to sleep and as you know it will not let you. Sometimes in the afternoon I will take another vicodin to get rid of the upset stomach and feeling bad. After I take it it all goes away. This is why I feel as if I have a problem with it now. I went to my dr two weeks ago and did tell him that at night it stops working and I take another half or another whole vicodin. he then gave me a script for Lorazapam to take when I wake up. Yea right. That just makes me tired as hell and my rls keep right on going. i mentioned something to him about a longer lasting medication and he said that the vicodin 7.5 should be strong enough. my fear is to push to much and he take me off of it all together then I will really be screwed. They just don't seem to understand what this is like. he has made me feel like a drug addict from the very beginning anyways telling me that he will only give me 30 a month and it can only be refilled once a month. What happens to me is that I end up running out because I take that other half or whole vicodin some nights and then I end up loading up on sleeping pills and feeling like sh** all day from not sleeping, to much sleeping pills and no vicodin. yes, i have though of going to another dr. and faking back pain or something to get more because I have ran out. I just want to sleep thats all and nothing seems to work other than vicodin. I have tried the tramadol/ultram and that stuff did nothing for me at all after about 3 weeks of taking it with the vicodin. I have always had a high tolerance to pain meds and I guess that causes the problem too.

Another thing is that my husband is a police sergeant and I want to talk to him about how I'm feeling but I don't feel like I can. i feel like he is going to look at me as one of the addicts he deals with on the streets. LOL I feel like I'm just trapped here.

The methadone you speak of.....where do you get that from? would I need to go to a clinic for that? I have said something to my Neuro dr. this past appointment about that and he still feels like the vicodin should be good enough with taking the lorazapam during the night.

To answer your question, sure I like how it makes me feel who wouldn't? however, I do not take it until I'm getting ready to get into the bed so I do not feel the effects of it unless I take one during the day. What I'm fearing is that I take one during the day (not everyday) just because I know the bad feeling that I'm having will go away. This is what I'm feeling like and it has been going on for about a month now. I'm sick in my stomach (like a wrenching), don't want to eat, feel shaky, dizzy feeling, can not concentrate very well, short with people, don't talk much don't laugh much don't smile much either, my body aches all over my back being the worse of the ache. Once I take that vicodin it all goes away but will start back up later in the evening. Not long after that i'm getting ready for bed and that is when I take that other vicodin to go to bed and I'm sure it goes away after that kicks in.

I just don't know what to do about it or where to turn. I really want to talk to my husband about it but I'm afraid he is not going to understand. he thinks its terrible that I'm even taking it to sleep.

you say your a recovering addict....were you addicted to vicodin? If so how did you get off of it and how did you feel getting off of it? I'm thinking I may just need to go away for a few days by myself and leave my pills behind to get off of the all together.

One more thing I forgot. I have been taking vocodin since Nov. I started off on the 500mg and within two months went to the 7.5 because the 500 were not holding me all night. now the 7.5 is not holding me all night. I just feel like I'm screwed with this stuff.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Estelita--

If you continue taking hydrocodone at a dose higher than 5mg a day, you should get it in the form that has the least acetaminophen per hydrocodone. You should be able to get it in a 10mg/325mg combo, which is a lot better than the 7.5mg/500mg combo I think you're taking. Acetaminophen can harm your liver over time (get a blood test periodically!), and there's also a theory that taking significant amounts of opioids in the presence of acetaminophen can harm your hearing. I gather this is how Rush Limbaugh lost his hearing.

As for me, I typically split one of those 10/325 pills into two doses a day myself, one for evening and one for bedtime. It's true that you wake up kind of hung over, and frankly, I think that's exactly what's happening. You've basically been high for 8-10 hours, and now you're crashing. You and I need it only in the evening, so we concentrate our doses then, but that does mean there's a daily rollercoaster of meds in our system, with predictable consequences. You're taking more than I am, so your symptoms are becoming a problem for you, whereas mine tend to fade away once I eat breakfast.

If you're having real problems with the crash/rebound, you should definitely switch to something longer-acting, like oxycodone or oxycontin. It's way better to take something stronger and longer-acting than to get into a vicious cycle of increasing dependency with something weaker and shorter-acting.

There's also the methadone that Zach mentioned, which has a super-long time of action (half-life sometimes up to a day or more, vs. 3-6 hours for hydrocodone), but which has its own issues. For me, it caused me to be too drowsy at work, and messed with my word recall. You should wait to try the methadone until after you've tried other things. If you do need it, a doctor can prescribe it for you. You don't need to go to an addiction treatment clinic. (In fact, that would be bad, as the clinic would give you way more than you need for medical purposes.)
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

cmoore1958

Post by cmoore1958 »

I don't know anything about addiction but my daughter just took vicodin every 4 hours for 2 days after her surgery and was sicker than a dog. Every time she stood up she got dizzy and the nausea and flu symptoms were horrible. The doctor said it was a reaction to the vicodin and her system cannot handle the medication.

Just thought I'd through this out there to you as a possible issue with the vicodin -- a reaction to the medication, not addiction problems.

Best of luck to you in your search for relief.

Cyndi
Even when we are by ourselves, we are never truly alone.

My motto: It's MY pitty-party and I'll vent if I want to.

Estelita

Thank you

Post by Estelita »

I really appreciate all of the information. I just hate to know that I have to even be on this crap. I'm only 35 years old and in order to have a normal life I have to take pain killers. It really plucks my nerve. I dread it everytime I go to the dr. because I feel like he is thinking in his mind that I'm a drug addict. LOL I just hate it thats all. Thanks again!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You've got all my sympathy on the perception concerns. I have been searching for a new doctor for over two years - not because my doc isn't great, he is, but because he's so far away from me.

I've called 15 doctors. NOT ONE will take me as a patient because I take methadone. NOT ONE!!!!!!!

I stopped calling. Recently, I decided I'd just start wasting $30 co-pays and change my doc every month until I found one who would work. Fortunately, it seems as though the first one will work with me, but not without a lot of work on my part. I'm willing - no question - it's great just to know she is considering it.

But, really! To have to go through this is unbelievable - all because of a condition most people don't even think is real. Geez it's a lot of work for something that isn't real :shock:

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Estelita

Thanks

Post by Estelita »

Is really does not make any sence to me either. Why will no dr. take you because of you being on methadone? I'm not understanding that?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Because they won't prescribe it and think that it shouldn't be used in my situation. They don't "get it" that it's the only drug that has worked out of about 10-15 I've tried. And, because they don't know me, they won't let me explain it. They're afraid of the methadone because doctors can get into trouble for prescribing these drugs in the wrong ways or if I start abusing. The system makes it really hard for them.

Managing Your RLS

Estelita

Post by Estelita »

Got ya! i hate having to be on any of it. Do you get the feeling when you go to the dr. that they are thinking that you are just an addict trying to get pain killers in any way that you can? That is how I feel. I have never taken any pain killers in my life except for when I had surgery 15 years ago and now I feel like an **** everytime I go in there. My dr. always reminds me that if I loose my scrip or my pills in my bottle or take more than one a day and run out that he WILL NOT refill or give me another script also he makes sure he tells me that I CAN NOT EVER get a script for the same medication from another dr. or he will not EVER prescribe them to me again.

Makes me feel like a child being lectured to and I hate it. I tell him that one is not holding me and that I end up running out because I take another half or sometimes even another whole pill in the middle of the night so what does he do he gives me lorazapam which makes me a fruit case when I get up in the morning to go to work. I'm completely drained of any energy at all for like the first 4-5 hours of the day from that stuff and I even break it in half and sometimes break the half in half. It really jerks me off bad. I hate to ask him to write the script for more because I know he is just going to think I'm an addict which at this point i may be but I really have no other choice but to take this crap. I have to be able to get some good sleep at night and I have to be able to function at my job. i'm an event coordinator for a builder's association and if I can not do my job right 100% of the time then I will have no job. Of course my husband is a cop and he doesn't think i should take the stuff at all and can not understand why requip and the other medication works for most but not for me. He has even questioned me about taking pain medication. Its bad enough that my dr. makes me feel like an **** but its even worse when my husband doesn't understand and make me feel like one as well. i just feel like I'm up against a wall all of the time. Like everyone is looking at me saying "shes just a pain pill junky". LOL

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It really sux, doesn't it? Yeah, I get some of the same stuff, but fortunately hubby totally gets it. I am so grateful for that.

One thing that might help is to take in some info from respected places. Like the Mayo Clinic Algorithm or maybe buy some of the RLS books. Not sure about the Hoakum one, but the one by Buchfurer, Hening and Kushida talks about how opioids may need to be used. It normalizes it. This is published by the American Academy of Neurologists or something similar, so it has legitimacy, you know?

If your hubby or doc read some of that, they might let up a bit.

Managing Your RLS

Neco

Post by Neco »

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, been busy with other junk I guess.. It seems like you got a lot of the answers you needed though..

To answer your question, yes Vicodin is what started my addiction.. I don't really look at is as being addicted to a specific medication, as I have taken many opiates. I've taken Codeine (tylenol #3), Vicodin (Hydrocodone), Oxycodone, and of course, Methadone and Tramadol. All of these except for the tramadol are chemically opiates.

I was on Vicodin for several years before I finally got off.. I went through periods over that time where I tried other non-narcotic medications like Requip, Mirapex, Levodopa, and like you I was given some Lorazepam early on to try out. It also did zilch for me, even stopped making me tired.

Eventually I went in one day, quite early for my next refill and told the Doctor I couldn't take it anymore and I wanted off.. Then I went back and forth between all the other stuff, sometimes I would be OK, then I would fall back into my addictive tendencies.. It's a very weird place to be. I have very often stared at my pill bottles or pills on my hand and scolded myself, cursed at them.. Knew I should only take what I need. But I reached the point where I just stopped caring. Period. I used to toss back 14 or 15 Vicodin sometimes at once, knowing I could kill myself, and it would be slow and extremely painful. You don't typically die from an O.D on Vicodin - you usually get sick and puke long before you O.D. But the acetaminophen (tylenol) content WILL kill your liver and kidneys once they become overwhelmed. Organ failure is extremely painful and can take up to two weeks in the case of acetaminophen poisoning. That used to scare me into taking no more than 8. But like I said, you just stop caring.

Eventually I wound on on Tramadol, and while I still had problems it is not DEA Scheduled and is prescribed in larger quantities, much more laxly. But I ended up having a seizure because of another medicine, as I mentioned early, and continued to suffer from seizure like symptoms and complete loss of control, resulting in physical injury several times.

At that point I pushed my doc hard for methadone, and was able to satisfy him with an brief article I found in a source he gave me to research. Methadone is not a first resort method, and I don't advocate it that way. But for someone in my position it is a great ally. It gives me the chance to treat my RLS and manage my addiction at the same time. As far as I am concerned, it is a completely legitimate form of treatment, and for those patients who can't control their meds, should be a serious consideration.

It's got a lot of contraversy behind it unfortunately.. I've recently discovered the social group of people who want it banned because it killed their loved ones or whatever.. These people think its outright dangerous and clinics should be closed down, etc.. Usually they are rationalizing with their grief and not their brains tho.. Most cases of methadone death involve interactions with other medicines the patient shouldn't have been taking, or from accidental overdose during intentional abuse.

Aside from those idiots, you have to deal with an oft naive medical profession.