Neupro Patch

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ginnie

Neupro Patch

Post by ginnie »

I've found the Neupro patch gives me the most relief from RLS symptoms (mine are severe). I apply it once a day and then take 1 Synamet at night. No longer any problem with long car, train or plane rides or sleeping at night. Doesn't seem to have any side effects either, except I have a slight allergy to latex, so I usually get a hive where the patch has been. A dab of hydrocortizone takes care of it.

The FDA, however, in it's infinite wisdom, recalled the patch and it is no longer available in the U.S. Not because there is anything wrong with the drug. Only because sometimes the patch itself doesn't adequately deliver the medication. SO? Put on a new one! Luckily, Canada is not so rigid and it can still be purchased online from there.

Has anyone else had good/bad/other experiences with Neupro?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I haven't tried the patch tho I have read about it, and would consider it if and when I need some sort of a change. At present I use the requip in pill form.

Glad it works for you.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Ginnie and welcome to thuis group. I have never tired the patch, but am happy that it is working for you.

Yes, I did hear that the US pulled the patch but happy that you can still get it on line.

Please keep is posted on how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

pdullea

Post by pdullea »

I, too, have very severe RLS. Neupro was the only medication that worked without unacceptable side effects. My neurologist says that the Canadian pharmacies will soon be barred from shipping meds to the U.S., and in any case the cost is prohibitive.

A friend says there are Mexican pharmacies along the Mexican border, but that you have to go there -- mail order from Mexico just loses your money. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

Peter D.
Lompoc, CA

ginnie

Post by ginnie »

If I have to physically go to Canada to get my Neupro, I will. I live in New Jersey, so it's a bit closer than Mexico. I'll just hook up my trailer and take a camping trip when I need it. Lots of great campgrounds up there.

My BC/BS Personal Choice program reimburses me for the Canadian Neupro (minus my copay of course). I have to pay for it up front and then send in a paper claim form, but that's a minor inconvenience. You might check to see if your medical insurance will reimburse you as well. And even if it doesn't, how much is it worth to you to get a good night's sleep? I'd take a second job just to pay for it if I had to.

I think the RLS Foundation should lobby to have Neupro reinstated in the US. It's not like the patch is dangerous - only inconsistent in its delivery. Stupid reason to ban it.

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

I just wanted to jump in here and say that inconsistent delivery is actually a very good reason to pull this product. Remember that many of the patients that are using this product have Parkinson's-- and PD patients can actually get "frozen" if their DA wears off or is extremely variable in it's delivery. I think the FDA did the right thing here--- unfortunately, though, now you'll have to wait for them to get the patch matrix fixed! :cry:
Josh

ginnie

Post by ginnie »

I see your point, and totally agree with it. But I wish they would have approved it for RLS (even though it's not yet approved for it) and unapproved (?) it for PD. Anyway, I'll find some way to get it - even if I have to fly to where it's made and take a second job to pay for it.

ed2008

Post by ed2008 »

for as often as the FDA is slammed for poor decisions, this was done correctly. the manufacturer needs to address the release system. medications in a patch have been around for over 20 years, and most have encountered problems from time to time. IIRC the patch form of scopalamaine (transderm-SCOP) (for motion sickness) was unavailable for several years until the problems were solved. it is now available. food for thought

Ed