If you have non-RLS insomnia and need a sleep aid?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
pedrime

If you have non-RLS insomnia and need a sleep aid?

Post by pedrime »

Do you ask your general practicioner or your RLS doc for a prescription? I get this once in a blue moon to the point that I really do need temporary relief.

Thanks for your time.

Meg

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Mine is one in the same...so, guess I'd ask the GP/RLS doc, lol.

I think if I had both, I'd ask the RLS doc first. Just seems that he or she would have more understanding, but then again, he or she might relate it to RLS and then it would get confusing....

What was your inclination before you posted?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Depends on what your RLS doc does as a specialty. Me, I'd probably ask my sleep/rls guy if I needed something. Get an as-needed prescription for something like ambien, sonata, lunesta... one of those hypnotic variants, anyway. If it's really infrequent, you could even get away with a benzo, I'd think.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

pedrime

Post by pedrime »

My RLS doc is a neurologist...I am definitely inclined towards him. Just wanted to run it by you guys first...as always thank you for your input!! I seem to recall yrs ago taking Temzamepam (sp?) in the same situation & no negative side effects. Only for a week or 2 as needed. Thanks again!