First day with Requip--interesting...

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Jitterlegs

First day with Requip--interesting...

Post by Jitterlegs »

So, after having bad side effects from Mirapex with no results, I have switched to Requip. I woke up at 4:30 this morning and took it while still in bed as my symptoms start as soon as I am up and about. I layed in bed for a while--even took a little nap--OOPS! Didn't want to fall asleep, but it was so quiet and comfy. Anyway, I was afraid of the nausea side effect, so I put some crackers and water on my night stand to go along with the Requip. No stomach issues whatsoever. I did feel a little "strange" about 8 hours after taking it, not sure if it was really the drug or what, but I was kind of dizzy and felt a little out of it. I was shopping, so I was a little nervous getting into the car to drive home as I have read all the warnings about falling asleep unexpectedly. But, I made it home fine. I have to report that this is the VERY interesting part--- I have been sitting at my computer for quite a while and I have no urge to bounce my legs! :D :D It is almost as if they feel heavy. I just can't explain it! Is that what is is like??? Now, I still have the tingling in my legs, but I don't have the "jitterlegs"! :P Can someone please tell me if this is how they felt when medication was working?? It really is something I never remember experiencing before--being able to sit still for 5 minutes! I can't tell you how apprehensive I was about taking Requip after my experience with Mirapex (that stuff gave me side effects that freaked me out!). It would be nice if the tingling would leave too! Okay, I know, I am being just a tad bit GREEDY! :oops:

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hey Jitterlegs, isn't that a great feeling?! I had that the first few days I took Requip and the first few days on Mirapex. It was the feeling of NOTHING in my legs. No urge to move, no creepy crawlies, just nothing but total relaxation. It was heavenly.
Susan

Jitterlegs

Post by Jitterlegs »

Hi Susan. What do you mean the first couple days?? Didn't it continue? I still have the tingling, but at least I am not bouncing all over! I am only on the starting dose, though, so I will increase it and see if it helps the tingling too. I sure hope so! I do have to say that I feel a little "foggy" on it, though, but am hoping that improves.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Susan, yes I got the impression that the relief didn't last too long for you.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Scarlett46

Post by Scarlett46 »

Odd how everyone's symptoms are just a little different...

That "heavy" feeling you describe is how my legs feel when RLS is about to go full-on.

I'm glad to hear that you're getting some relief though. That's great! I hope it lasts for you.
"After all... Tomorrow is another day!"

happyfeet

Post by happyfeet »

so far I love my requip (.50) 'cept on the 25 my legs started up again, so I added a .25 and all was well.
Anything I write down is my own opinion and not to be taken seriously. Just ask my husband.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

It's true, the relief didn't last long for me. It took about 2 weeks to start to have augmentation on Requip. I take a tiny dose of Mirapex now, and it helps with the jerking, and some with the circadian rhythm disorder (obviously not too much 'cuz it's 3:20am, LOL) but I'm too scared of augmentation to take enough to really knock out my symptoms. But my symptoms are well controlled otherwise and I'm fairly comfortable in my body most days.

Jitterlegs, I hope you continue to get that great relief! Everyone is different and the odds of having killer augmentation in the first month are pretty slim. Just be careful not to increase the dose beyond what you need to control your symptoms. And hopefully you'll be one of those people who can take the Requip for years and years with great results.
Susan

Jitterlegs

Post by Jitterlegs »

Thanks Susan. I am very excited about the possiblity! But.....I have been experiencing pain in my calf today. Just this on and off stabbing sort of pain. It isn't terrible, but I am so nervous it is because of the Requip and I think thet the requip is really helping my RLS. Nothing can be easy, can it?? I will just continue to take it, though, unless it gets worse or doesn't stop. I will be eating bananas too! :wink: I am supposed to go up from .25 to .5 tomorrow--haven't decided if I will or not yet. I have to work and might just postpone the increase for a couple days. We'll see how "brave" I am in the morning. I don't want to take the medication and then hop in the car to drive to work an hour later. It hasn't seemed to make me sleepy yet, but doubling the dose is a big increase and I'd rather be home the first time. It would be so much easier if I was taking the medication at night and could just go to bed.

Can't wait to go to work tomorrow and see if my co-worker notices I am sitting MUCH more still! :lol:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Jitter, one thing I strongly believe is that each of us responds very differently to these medications. So, if .25 mg is helping, don't increase. Also, don't feel you need to follow that schedule. Allow your body to tell you if it's time or not or if you even need to.

In terms of Requip, some people are fine with .25. For a long time. Some people need 5 mg from the start. While the average might be about 1 to 1.25 mg, that doesn't mean you need to be there (or anyone else).

I would watch that leg pain, though. Hopefully it's complete coincidental and isn't at all related to Requip. And, because you are having it, I certainly wouldn't increase at this time. Wait and see.

It may be that you get partial relief from Requip but can't take more of it than .25 of maybe even half of that. That's cool because you can likely find another option to help resolve the rest of it, like Ultram, which often works well for people who need something in the daytime.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Jitterlegs

Post by Jitterlegs »

Ann, thanks for your reply and I completely agree. I just want to see if increasing the dose will improve the tingling feeling I have in my legs still. If it doesn't, then I know that this is good as it will get and will take the minimum dose possible to get the best results. Today I still took the .25 and it really worked this morning, but by noon or so, it was wearing off (I took it at 4:30). I might try overlapping two .25 mg about 4 hours apart. Do you think that would be a good idea? I figure it shouldn't hurt as I am at the point of increasing to .5 anyway. That way maybe I will see the results of what .5 would be like for a couple hours or so, and then the effect should last longer too. On Wednesday I will probalby try the .5mg at once. Oh, and so far today, no leg pain! Yay!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Not sure - I do know that they say Requip lasts about 5-6 hours and Mirapex about 7-8. Requip takes at least 60 minutes to work, Mirapex 90. So, I'd use those numbers to guide me if the doctor wasn't able to provide enough input. I know we're not supposed to self-medicate, but I also know that we don't always get the guidance we need and we have to find a way to make it all work!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

BonnieB

Post by BonnieB »

Hi Jitterlegs, glad you're getting some relief on the ReQuip. I have been taking it for months now and am just about ready to wean myself off. I don't know how you are able to take it during the day. One hour after taking it I feel like I'm in the twilight zone, actually fell asleep in the lawn chair and was talking in my sleep. That's scary to me. Also, I don't like the way it makes me feel during the day - sort of detached and fuzzy. My legs are starting to bother me during the day now (only at night before)and my feeling is that if Requip is working I shouldn't be having more symptoms. I feel totally discouraged at this point and frustrated. My doctor has offered to change to another medication but to what? I'm hoping there's an answer out there somewhere.

Jitterlegs

Post by Jitterlegs »

Hi Bonnie. I was very "zoned" yesterday, and am today too. I don't know if I will be willing to continue it either. I also wonder if it is really worth all the risks because I still feel like there is an electical current running through my legs even if I don't have the urge to jiggle them as much. Hmm, jitterlegs or side effects and still having bothersome legs...I have to work and it takes concentration I don't seem to have. I was hoping it would get better with some time. Have you tried Mirapex? That did nothing to me until I got to .625 and then got scary side effects with no relief for the legs at all. I was so excited to feel some leg relief with the Requip, but now I'm not too excited--more concerned. Last night I was lying in bed and I had an itch on my leg behind my knee. I went to scratch it and couldn't get to it! It was like it was INSIDE my leg. I'd touch my skin where I felt the itch and it did nothing. It was so strange and hard to explain. Of course right away I was blaming Requip. That has never happened to me before and I hope it never happens again! It was almost like a panic feeling of not being able to scratch where it itches! :lol: I will definitely be talking to my dr. on the 16th about day time alternatives. At least with jitterlegs my brain could still function!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Bonnie,

If your legs are now bothering you during the day, it's possible (likely, even) that you have augmentation. It's when the drug itself makes the RLS worse. There is information about it in the "sticky" notes in the Pharmaceutical section. Stopping the drug and switching to another (all with your doctor's help) is the solution if it is augmentation.

Managing Your RLS