Gabpentin/ Neurontin

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
erinhinze

Gabpentin/ Neurontin

Post by erinhinze »

So my doctor just started me on this drug 7 days ago and I was originally taking it only at night- today I started taking it morning and night. I feel like a drunk. Luckily, I just found an RLS study that's being done in my area- so I think I will call that studyand see if I can be involved.

In addition- I always just thought I was allergic to narcotic pain killers and things like tylenol pm and all that- but I think now, it's just a worsening of my RLS symptoms...like they are just all over my body. It's always something, isn't it?

becat

Hi

Post by becat »

Hi Erin,
Maybe a little time to adjust is what you need, I couldn't tell you for sure. I took one or two doses of the stuff.......Neurotin and could not handle the intense headaches. There are plenty here that find good results from it though.
I agree with you on Tyenol, I can't take that either. And they put it into so many different medications. I'm just careful to steer clear of it. There's other pain medications, maybe you can try a different kind. I had to convince (2 1/2 yrs) my doc, I could take the stuff. He finally got it and we found alternatives.
Good Luck.

erinhinze

Doing better

Post by erinhinze »

I'm certainly doing better today and my legs are much improved. I figured out that I took yesterdays dose on an empty stomache (duh!) and that I took them too close together. I am seeing increased appetite, I will have to watch that...I have a small frame, can't afford too many extra pounds! :?

bobbyd

Post by bobbyd »

generally, unless you take 3-4 grams of neurontin you won't derive the best benefit for RLS. What all should be taking now is REquip. It was approved recently with excellent clinical trials. RLS may be cured as a result for many.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'm sorry Bobbyd, but I just can't agree with you. It does NOT work for everyone. It still DOES cause augmentation and rebound for some people (yes, less than with the other DAs). It is a good option for many, but NOTHING is a cure-all with RLS. If you try it, great. If it works, great. But IMHO it's essential that we temper our enthusiasm for what works for us individually with the knowledge that what's good for the goose is NOT always good for the gander.

Ann

Dr.Neuro

Post by Dr.Neuro »

I agree completely with BobbyD. Requip should be tried by all with RLS since it holds the greatest promise. It can indeed remove the symptoms for most people although their can be some rebound etc..in some people. It is still promising enough to warrent that at least everyone try it. Thanks for the information BobbyD. Hopefully everyone will follow your advice.

becat

hmm Doc

Post by becat »

Hmmmm a Doctor around these parts is mighty strange........But most welcome.
Doc. N. I hope you know that your liable to take alot of heat just for your profession around here. We've had our share of the medical community that hasn't listened or down right ignored this disorder. Try not to take offense to it, you'll learn so much from the people that post here. Just the daily living with RLS. Knowledge, some doctors tend to not pay attention to.
There's many opinions about treatment and the one we stress most often...."You have to find your own and it may be a combination of things that helps. Everyone of us is different." Trial and error seem to be the norm..
I have to agree with Ann, the word CURE is not something we use around here. I have resisted posting something along the same line to BobbyD. I'm glad it works so well for him, that's something, but to say it works across the board....hmmmmm nope not there yet.
I haven't tried Requip as yet. I'm not to trusting of the newness of it. I would like to know a bit more about the long trm effect before I run out and give up what is working. I'm finally on a good treatment path. I was an angry, sleep deprived, in pain RLSer until last Sept.. At that time I stumbled unto a medication that worked. Stumbled, well I did my research and tried it on my own. Thankfully my doctor of almost three years agreed to let me extend the trial. It's worked great for me....for the most part.
I have had this all my life in a painful form. A genetic gift from MOM and DAD, MOm's side being the worse levels and number of sufferers. Three of us have had a sevre form all of our lives. My growing pains never went away. This is also true for my Grandmother 88 and my oldest brother 50. My 17 yr. old niece is going to have it like we do, she's showed signs for many years now. Thankfully, one of my sons has it in a mild form.
There are so many here just like me, life long suffering. So when anyone uses the word cure, we tend to get our hackles up. WE do encourage the exchange of ideas, thoughts, and knowledge. Mix in compassion and cyber hugs. WE learn from one another around here.
BobbyD I'm so happy this works for you. I hope that you'll keep us posted.
Doc. hope you stick around too, we need all of the medical community we can get.
cybers hugs to all.

Dr. Neuro

Post by Dr. Neuro »

Individual susceptabilities, symptoms, and reactions to drugs differ widely as we are all aware for many reasons; for RLS among all other disorders/diseases. However, in a recent article in the J of Neurology, promising data regarding the ability of Requip (.25-3 mg) to manage the symptoms of RLS was extremely promising. My colleagues have also reported great success with Requip in patients who have not responded well to other treatments. I am sure not all individuals with RLS and variants of the disorder will respond favorably to Requip but the published data, and clinical experiences strongly suggest we have somthing very positive to offer those with RLS. If you are being managed well with other drugs-great. Do not alter your regimen. However, for those who may not be satisfied with their treatment management, it would be wise to at least try Requip (titrate up slowly from .25 till symptoms disappear). Requip does not offer a cure. However, I believe it is the best the medical community can offer those with RLS at this time.

jan3213

Welcome Doctor Neuro

Post by jan3213 »

It's Jan

I appreciate you coming onto this forum to offer information and advice about Requip. I also welcome you! Like Becat said, we can use all the medical help we can get.

However, I have a problem. You see, unlike, perhaps, yourself, many doctors are not willing to listen to patients regarding medications we may hear about. I had a recent problem with Effexor, which my neurologist prescribed for me, to help(?) my fibromyalgia. In fact, I'm not sure WHY he prescribed it. He told me to let him know IMMEDIATELY if it effected my RLS. I did--in about 3 weeks--to which he promptly replied that it "was too soon" and to continue taking it. I did, and had a horrible reaction to the drug. BUT, he did not take me off of it immediately. NO, even though he saw a rash all over my stomach, he told me to go to a dermatologist. I did not--but about 3 weeks later, I had other symptoms of a bad reaction: severe RLS, ringing in ears, twitching, agitation, AND a severe rash. THEN, he did something about it. He took me off of it and replaced it with another SSRI. Also, I keep telling him that I'm falling asleep while driving, but he cannot seem to get the right balance between Klonopin AND Mirapex.

I'm just saying all that to say this: I really don't think he would listen to me about Requip. In fact, I mentioned it to him and he told me that it is HIS job to prescribe medications.

So, while there may be other medications that may work, we still have the human factor--doctors. Doctors are human and, I know they spent a lot of money and time to become doctors and obviously know a lot more than I do, perhaps we victims of RLS might just know a little bit ourselves.

In any event, welcome and thank you.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Jan, I keep thinking about you. Based on your last few posts, I was thinking about your relationship with your neuro. In part posts or converstations, you were so happy with him. This has got to be very difficult to lose this relationship.

Are you a member of the Southern Illinois Support group? I had a conversation a few months ago with a woman (she many or may not be part of that group, though) on one of the Yahoo RLS sites. She was also in Southern Illinois and LOVED her neuro. Since, at the time, you were happy with yours, I didn't bother to get any information from her. I've since deleted those emails, but I could post there and see if she responds.

Ann

Post by Guest »

Doc. N. I hope you know that your liable to take alot of heat just for your profession around here. We've had our share of the medical community that hasn't listened or down right ignored this disorder. Try not to take offense to it, you'll learn so much from the people that post here. Just the daily living with RLS. Knowledge, some doctors tend to not pay attention to.

I was finally dianosed with RLS in 1989 but went so many years prior with doctors who had no idea what I had. One even sent me to a sleep shrink what a complete waste of time. So to be honest when it comes to RLS I take input from people who suffer from it equally as high as doctors and at times even more. Requip was a disaster for me with rebound/ argumentation causing RLS symtons to increase. Mirapex caused severe daytime sleepiness and hallucinations it literally screwed up my life for a period of time. The doctor who perscribed it never warned of the these possible side effects. I discovered them byself on the internet by visiting such fine resources like this site.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Guest, I would greatly appreciate it if you would take the time to post your experiences with those drugs in the following post:

http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=1426

I am trying to compile a list of side effects that us RLSers have had with drugs. I am wondering if it is different than what the side effects are that are listed. Proabably not, but maybe. I know that I had some things happen when I took Mirapex that were not listed on the side effect list!

Thanks - Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

AFJ

requip

Post by AFJ »

I'm new to this as well. I've been taking requip for the last 5 months, going from 1 mg -4 mgs., and now ramping down. The higher dose made me pretty ill, and night time symptoms have gotten worse. If you do take it, be conscious of daytime narcolepsy, headaches, daytime restlessness, and night time ineffectiveness....and trust your response, I've waited too long continuing to take it.

Andrew