Getting Off Requip

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
larussell57

Getting Off Requip

Post by larussell57 »

Hi...

I am new to the board but have visited the site many times over the years.

I have been on requip for a couple of years now and wish I had never started taking it. I really want to stop taking it and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions or personal experiences on the best way to do that.

Thanks,
Liz

Jodee

Post by Jodee »

Hi Liz,
I went off Requip about 2 months ago with the help of my doctor. I had augmentation so I quit the Requip cold turkey but took Methadone to help with the withdrawal. For me it was hard and I couldn't sleep or even lie down for 3 straight nights. I had to keep increasing the Methadone until I finally got relief. Hopefully you won't have it that bad...my doctor thinks my reaction was related to my very low ferritin level. Have you had that tested? Bottom line: do it with the help of a knowledgeable doctor and don't go cold turkey without using other meds to help you get through it.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Liz,.

Jodee had some great info/advice.

May I ask why you want to stop it? I am guessing that your RLS is worse. That's what Jodee meant when s/he said "augmentation." If your RLS is worse, stronger, lasts longer, starts earlier....it's augmentation most likely. And, as Jodee said, it can be a bugger to get over.

Usually the RLS gets even worse when you stop the Requip - this lasts from a few days to several weeks. During that time, you can feel as if you'd rather be dead - you likely won't sleep or be functional UNLESS you get a good doc who knows how to help you. While we vary, things like oxycontin and methadone, maybe Vicodin, are drugs that help you through this. After the RLS gets back to normal, then you can get off the opioid and try something else.

As Jodee said, a low ferritin level is now considered a major reason that people have trouble with Requip and Mirapex. But, I think some people have trouble even if their ferritin is not low.

Do you have a doc who knows a lot about RLS? I know that was the biggest challenge for me.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

l57, Think the others posts are more than I could add on the subject soooo, just keyboarding in to say "hi" and welcome to our rls family. Glad you found us.

Best wishes,

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

happyfeet

Augmentation?

Post by happyfeet »

what dosage were you taking when you stopped?

Augmentation while being treated for rls? Could someone clarify what is meant by this?
Anything I write down is my own opinion and not to be taken seriously. Just ask my husband.