Off Requip and on Ropinorole - Want to try Hydrocodone

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
nik.sego

Off Requip and on Ropinorole - Want to try Hydrocodone

Post by nik.sego »

I was taking Requip since it came out for my RLS. It seemed to work pretty good for me, enough to get me through the night. Right before my menstrual cycle and believe it or not, during full moons, it didn't work as well, but I lived. Recently, they came out with a generic of Requip, Ropinorole, but I do not feel it works well for me. My RLS hits me pretty hard at night, even in my arms, and I'm a huge crab the next day.

I've been having issues with coughing the past 6 months and my doctor prescribed Tussionex. Oh my goodness! This stuff is wonderful. My restless legs are gone completely. I found out it has hydrocodone in it which I am presuming is probably what has helped. Has anyone else taken hydrocodone and if so, what dosage, for how long? I called my doc just now and left a message about it. I'm hoping he'll consider it. I feel great during the day and great at night.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Hi n and welcome.

I currently take a cocktail of neurontin and vicodin (hydrocodone) as needed but usually a 5/500 tab when I do. I have used hydrocodone off and on for about 4 years but at a relatively low dose and/or in combination with something else. Opioids can be a good treatment for rls when others meds fail. Unfortunately, many docs will not prescribe it particularly if another med such a the requip is working. I'm curious as to how much hydrocodone was in the Tussionex? I think others have found some relief from cough syrups which do not even contain hydrocodone. Were you or did you take your requip on the same evening (s)? If so, it could be that the combination of the requip and Tussionex is what was effective rather than either by itself. Anyway, hydrocodone, like all meds, comes with its own set of problems/cautions. I would try to control your exhuberance about the hydrocodone with your doc as some docs, not all, might take this as an attempt to obtain "narcotics." Actually I discussed the possibility of an opiod for my rls with my doc quite a few months before we decided to give it a try. So we both had time to digest the idea and kinda knew it was coming when other meds failed or were not enough. Have you read the Mayo Clinic Algorithm? You might mention to your doc that you noticed how hydrocodone is sometime effective in treating rls and that you noticed some response to the cough syrup which contains it and that you were wondering if that could be a consideration.... or something like that. Your doc may know this already anyway. Guess what I'm saying is the "Doc, I just gotta have this." approach is sometime misconstrued.

I hope you will do more reading, particularly the Managing RLS sticky. May be some additional ideas there.

Once again, welcome. I'm glad you may have "stumbled" on something which will help you rls and quality of life. I hope this will lead to a better treatment plan for you.

Best wishes,

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Interesting, I thought all prescription cough syrups only contained codeine, never heard of one with hydrocodone.

It will work great for RLS, though as mentioned a lot of docs go psycho about opiods for anything but a broken limb, etc..

I think the dosing guidelines I've seen called between 5mg - 30mg as a normal dosing range for patients with RLS, depending on symptoms.

You can also ask about tramadol (Ultram), which is not a controlled substance and although technically not an opiod, it does act on the same receptors and can provide relief for RLS. There is a small seizure risk when combined with certain medications like anti-depressants, however (I had one).

eastbayrls

Post by eastbayrls »

I was taking codine and vicodin.

My doc took me off vicodin, cause he says long term it will hurt my kidneys cause of the tylenol.

So I am taking just codine, but it doesnt work as well. I dont know what to say to him, without looking like a drug seeker.

Any suggestions?

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I use hydrocodone in the evenings. A 10/375 norco broken in half and taken about 4-5 hours apart, as that's about the useful dose duration for me.

When it comes to opioids, hydrocodone or oxycodone are good if you have limited-duration daily RLS. If it's all day, you'd probably want something longer lasting, either a long-half-life opioid or maybe a continuous-release opioid.

The one thing you have to be certain of is that you are capable of managing your dosing with an iron fist. It doesn't take much careless misuse to turn into a slippery slope of abuse. You can't play the "I'm on vacation and I can afford to sleep longer, so I'm going to take a third dose each night this week and feel really good while I'm off," game, because the following week your usual two doses will no longer be adequate. You have to be firm with yourself.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Neco

Post by Neco »

I find it interesting he took you off the Vicodin because of the tylenol issue but keeps giving you codeine... Do you get pure codeine or something? Because as far as I'm aware codeine is either distributed with cough syrups or with aspirin/ibuprofen/acetaminophen("tylenol #3")

Although the tylenol in the doses may be a little lower, there are still other solutions such as 10/325 Hydrocodone, which is 10mg hydrocodone and only 325mg acetaminophen. Versus the typical 5/500 and 7.5/750 etc combinations

eastbayrls

Post by eastbayrls »

I guess it is pure codine.

How do I go about asking about the 10/325 without coming off as a drug seeker??

Neco

Post by Neco »

Well what I would do is this..

First ask him what is in the prescription for codeine, and then lead into the issue.. so a conversation might go like this..

"I had a question about my medication?"
"Ok"
"I was wondering about the codeine, doesn't that also contain tylenol?"
And from there say something like

"Well I understand the concern about the tylenol issue but from my experience the hydrocodone worked better for me, isn't there a different preparation we could try with less tylenol?"

Exactly how you go about this is your business and personal style of course, but something like that should suffice.. If you get accused of being a drug seeker for telling your doctor a different medication worked better for you, then you have a couple problems.. One is your doctor, because any doctor who prescribes you opiates for a condition and then calls you a drug seeker for simply communicating what you feel works the best, is likely an idiot in the long run..

That being said, if the conversation turns that way, become assertive. And being naturally offended at such a suggestion, make it clear. On your face, through your posture, tone of voice.. Just sit up straight, lean inward (towards the doctor) subtly, and try to keep a stern tone.. It's not guarantee he will cave, but if he doesn't at least appear apologetic then yeah.. probably an idiot in the long wrong.

Now I don't know your doctor, so you may have a good relationship with him, have seen him many years, etc.. So you can handle it how you want. The only other advice I can give you is, don't feel like you owe him anything, or like you should bite your lip because he says your this and that, just don't feel intimidated or ingratiated is the bottom line. Your doctor works for you, not the other way around.

And most of all, don't go in looking for or expecting the worst. Appear calm and normal, smile and greet them like normal, etc..

There are many combinations out there also.. If he tries to say something like 10mg is too much for one pill, ask why you can't just receive less pills and split them in half.. I assume if before 5mg was doing you fine once or twice a day, you wouldn't be getting a huge prescription and still get even LESS tylenol per dose than with the codeine. And I honestly think there has got to be some tylenol or other OTC pain killer in there somewhere.. I don't think its legal to distribute them without it, or at the least very difficult.

Gotta warn you too, unless you have insurance, 10mgs can be pretty expensive pills depending on your pharmacy and how much your are given per filling..

I wish you good luck and hope everything works out for you

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

East-- how many milligrams of the codeine and vicodin were/are you taking? Codeine is much weaker then vicodin, and depending on the dose-- you may just not be getting enough narcotic.
Josh

Neco

Post by Neco »

Yeah I forgot to mention that..

Although I have to admit even in my case, to get what I would have considered genuine relief, I probably would have had to take quite a bite, probably somewhere in the 200mg range.. If I recall correctly your body can only efficiently process about 400mg daily anyway.. Thats nearly half the useful limit and I think a quarter of the way to the lethal dose.

The stuff has its uses but I know in my case I never really got more than 90% relief unless I would have decided to start taking dangerous amounts, couple with my personal issues that would have ended badly for me if I had stayed with it.. I think its one of the only drugs I've taken where I actually felt "what is the point if it takes so much and there is a limit to what I can process a day?" etc.. Which is a good thing because its certainly responsible for its fair share of ODs within my demographic..

That's just an extreme personal example in my case, however and you can take it with a grain of salt.. I guess I just feel there are more safer, efficient drugs out there when it comes to opiates. And not saying it applies to this situation.

eastbayrls

Post by eastbayrls »

Thanks guys!!

The codine is 60 mg

I was taking thr 5/500 of the vicodin.

My doc told me to take up to 5 a day of the codine, but if I take 3, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

I dont have to tell people here, how much it sucks when it doesnt work.

I'm not going to lie, I liked the vicodin better, but it just worked better.

Plus I am going on a 5 hour plane ride soon....not looking forward to codine NOT helping then.....

booth205

Prescription pain meds for RLS

Post by booth205 »

Hello All RLS Sufferers,
I have a question... I have an appointment with a doc tomorrow and was wondering what he is likely to put me on. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 6 years now and I have had 2 losses. Everything that I have read about the presciptions such as Mirapex etc said do not take if pregnant or intend on becoming pregnant. We will start fertility trreaments again in a few weeks. But, this pain and not being able to sleep is killing me.
Any suggestions anyone on how to approach this with the doc. I don't want to come over as if I only want narcotics but I am going insane. I have had to quit my job and have 2 adopted children I can't even spend time witrh b/c I am so sleepy and ill all the time.
I need help and suggestions... PLEASE!!
Thank and God Bless!!

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

hi b and welcome. I did not see your post yesterday... sorry. I reposted yours inquiry in the Special Populations Forum. Typically, we do not double post but because your appt was today I thought perhaps you may get a reply or two that would be helpful. Also, I think the nature of your post perhaps got lost in the "hydrocodone" thread. There is also a sticky in the Special Populations forum called Pregnancy and RLS. You may want to read that and perhaps it will be helpful... if you are able to get to it in time.

After your appt., please give us a post in the New to RLS forum and tell us a little more about yourself if you would like. A post in the Special Populations forum regarding what the doc said might also be helpful for others.

Best of luck,

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Neco

Post by Neco »

60mg codein up to 5 times a day, yeah is quite a bit.. Though if you're allowed up to 5 a day have you ever tried taking that many?

I could understand why you wouldn't want to of course, but yes if hydrocodone works better for you, then I don't see what his reasoning would be to dismiss the issue. Just make sure you communicate that you simply get better relief from the hydrocodone.. Avoid saying anything like "I like it better than the codeine" though, no matter how innocent or benign the statement may be to you, Doctors are taught to look for certain words or phrases all the time and assume the worst.

Just explain that you feel the codeine is not working adequately and that you felt the hydrocodone was more effective in controlling your symptoms/RLS discomfort etc.. Just curious, when you were taking the hydrocodone how much were you taking every day and how often?

It might help to compare it to him also, and just say you feel more comfortable with 10 or 15mgs (or whatever reasonable number) of hydrocodone a day than 150 - 300mgs of codeine. Reitterate that you understand his tylenol concern and that you feel like breaking a "10/325 hydrocodone in half, for example" doesn't bother you and will have the benefit of keeping the tylenol amount low, stuff like that. Hell it will probably be less tylenol than if you were taking the codeine anyway, if it does have an OTC mixed in with it.. (if you can post what your label says for the drug name or post what text or symbols are on your pills I can tell you whats in it)

Overall just stress that you received better relief of your symptoms with Hydrocodone compared to codeine, maybe discuss a trial period, to recompare the two, etc..

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

East- 30 mg of codeine is equivalent to around 5mg of hydrocodone... So in this case it appears that this NOT related to dose of narcotic but rather the type. Codeine is what we would call a natural narcotic - as opposed to a synthetic narc, like oxycodone or hydrocodone, etc. Some people respond better to natural narcs and some respond better to the synthetics... It's very random.

Since it sounds like you responded to 1 vicodin tab and are NOT responding to 60 mg of codeine (which equals 2 of the vicodin tabs respectively)... I would tell your doc you want to take the least amount of narcs possible and suggest going back to the vicodin. If he/she pushes back-- ask them for another suggestion. I have found that synthetic narc responders tend to respond to other synthetics-- percocet or oxycodone might be another viable option. (Some docs won't touch vicodin with a 10 foot pole due to abuse rates...)
Josh