klonopin

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
autume

klonopin

Post by autume »

does anyone know if you get headaches from withdrawing from klonopin

slee

Post by slee »

Yes, you can get headaches, nausea and other side affects. I ended up in the ER with a migraine from dropping my dosage too fast. You probably need to drop it by a 1/4 tablet a week at a time. I was almost off and due to some other things I going on I had to go from .25mg to .5mg temp., but started last night lowering my dose again. Good luck!

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Autume, you can get very severe withdrawal from Klonopin. Please talk with your doctor about withdrawing slowly.
Susan

D4

Post by D4 »

Another name for this drug is Clonazepam. There is a very long thread about withdrawal from it.

I went through withdrawal from it a year ago and it was horrible.

Helen518

Klonopin/clonazepam

Post by Helen518 »

My Aunt is on 2mg clonazepam for RLS at night, but lately it has not been working too well for her. I don't think she has tried any other meds for it. Is this usually one of the first medicines a doc would try? Should she ask for something else?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Helen, I highly recommend reading the Mayo Clinic Algorithm (follow the link in my signature to get to a thread; you'll find a link to this in that thread). It explains all the drugs that can be used.

No, Klonopin is not the first choice. It used to be, but it wasn't as effective as was hoped, but it was about the only option people had then. Now that the dopamine agonists are available - Mirapex and Requip - these are what are used first when DAILY treatment is needed. If occasional treatment is needed, then Sinemet is often used.

Klonopin works for some, but tends to work better (in reading posts here) when used in combo with other drugs). But, it also has strong potential for withdrawal issues, another reason it's not the first drug of choice. That's not to say not to use it if it works, just that there are better first options. And, many better second options, too.

My second recommendation, if you are going to be helping your Aunt, is to get one of two books that discuss RLS treatments in detail. They can be used with your doctor or to ensure you feel what your doctor is doing is "right". One is Restless Legs Syndrome by Buchfurer, Hening and Kushida. The more clinical one, written for doctors but easy to read, is Clinical Management of RLS by Hening, Buchfurer and Lee.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.