Tinnitus??

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Jitterlegs

Tinnitus??

Post by Jitterlegs »

Do or have any of you had tinnitus from medications? I have had it for YEARS, but it seems to have gotten so much worse--especially after neurontin--which I am no longer taking. I have it all the time now, and it is really becoming quite annoying. I remember as a child when we would come home from somewhere and be in the car for a while, I would lie down in bed and my ears would ring like crazy. I never complained about it, just accepted it as I did most things including RLS. Am I getting wimpy in my old age or just plain OLD??? :(

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Mine comes and goes. Some meds definitely have made it worse here and there. I think it was tramadol that was getting me most recently.

One thing to look out for is opioids+acetaminophen. Long term use of this combination can apparently damage hearing, and tinnitus is supposedly one of the hallmarks of growing hearing loss. That's one of several reasons why those of us who take opioids try to get them with little or no acetaminophen.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

I also has some "high pitched" ringing in the ears for several months after starting neurontin. However, after several months the ringing disappeared and has not returned even though I am still on neurontin--approaching 2 years.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Neco

Post by Neco »

I've had tinnitus since before I got RLS as far as I can remember, but don't really recall any medications making it worse..

For me one of the killers are the high frequencies when you listen to music, etc.. Anything in the high range I become either sensitive to the longer its on, or it causes pain right from the start..

Had to tell my friend to turn down his stereo / trebel quite a few times when he first got his car and stereo system.

HeatherB

Post by HeatherB »

I have had this for years as well. I find a semi idling close by will make my ears go nuts. I get ringing and a hard vibration in my left ear.

Jitterlegs

Post by Jitterlegs »

Thank you so much for the replies--kind of sounds like it is common for RLS sufferers?? Have any of you seen an audiologist for it?

Neco

Post by Neco »

I had my hearing checked years ago before I lost coverage under my parents.. Not sure if I saw an audiologist but I went to a place where they tested my hearing and everything came back fine..

I don't get prolonged ringing episodes or anything but do get that ocassional ringing from nowhere, or a drop in hearing from one ear.. The cause of my tinnitus is likely from my TMJ

Jumpin Johnny

Post by Jumpin Johnny »

I have had tinnitus for about a year now and wondered if it was related to the acetominphen in percocet 5/325 I have been on for several years. I tried to find info relating to the aceto. but could not find any. I did ask my Dr. if any of the meds I was taking had an effect and she said no. If anyone has a site I can go to to validate this and possibly go to Oxy without the aceto I would love to hear about it. This ringing is driving me nuts.
I have put off going to an ENT due to the distance I have to travel to see one.
Thank you so much for posting this, I probally would have spent alot of time and money without reading this.
Thanks, Jumpin Johnny
Jumpin Johnny

Jumpin Johnny

Post by Jumpin Johnny »

I got a little excited about posting and forgot to mention that my Dr had me see the dentist and have a night guard for TMJ. Did not work, also have taken riboflavinode and meclizine suggested by my pharmacist along with flushing ears with hydrogen peroxide followed by olive oil. nothing has worked.
Thanks, Jitter legs, Aiken and Zach
Jumpin Johnny

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Tinnitus and noise sensitivity can be treated by speech therapists or occupational therapists. There is a program called "The Listening Program" based on the Tomatis method. You listen to modulated music once or twice a day for half an hour. The CDs become progressively more challenging as the weeks go on, but to most people it's just "listening to music."

My daughter is working through the program because of her sensory integration disorder, but she's an extreme case, and it may take one or two runs through the program. It takes about 3 months on average to be completely cured. It's possible to need a refresher after a few years, but most people complete the program and are fine.

For high frequency noise sensitivity, there's a "pink noise" CD available from the hyperacusis society for $15. It teaches the brain and ears to turn down the volume on the higher pitched noises.

Doctors don't know much about these treatments, and aren't likely to pass on the information.
Susan

Neco

Post by Neco »

That's interesting information, thanks.

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

JJ-- tinitus can be caused by all sorts of things, many of which are not drug related. (like TMJ, meineire's disease, MS, etc, etc). I think it's always a good idea to have an ENT take a peek at you if you find that the ringing is always present and/or worsening in nature.

I did a quick peek on pubmed to see if there were any documented cases of percocet induced hearing loss--- and found very little. HOWEVER- I did find quite a few references to Vicodin-induced hearing loss. And one would expect that if vicodin can do so-- that percocet probably does as well. (by the way, the papers I read said that it's the narcotic that likely is causing the problem- not the tylenol portion of the drug)

From what I read- narcotic-induced hearing loss/tinnitus is usually in one ear- not both, tends to happen most commonly in overusers/large dosage patients, and usually progresses rapidly. Since you've had the ringing for over a year and am assuming you're not taking large doses... the perocet being the cause of your ringing would be unusual. However, there are always exceptions to every rule. If possible- when you see the ENT you should discuss weaning off the narcotic to see if the ringing improves?
Josh

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

FidgetBoy--

I may not have access to the same material you do, but when I originally researched opioids, I had Rush Limbaugh's hearing loss on my mind and specifically looked at the possibility thereof. At the time, the theory out there was that it only happened when you combined sufficient levels of opioids and acetaminophen. Opioids by themselves didn't seem to cause it, and likewise acetaminophen by itself didn't seem to cause it. Both hydrocodone and oxycodone were implicated. However, because both hydrocodone and oxycodone tend to come paired with similar amounts of acetaminophen, even though they are not equally potent, abusers tend to take in more hydrocodone and thus more acetaminophen, raising the risk. Also, hydrocodone is not generally available without acetaminophen, whereas oxycodone is, so the incidence with hydrocodone is higher due to that as well.

This information is probably at least five years old, though, and you may be seeing something more recent. I just wanted to clarify what I had seen in case it helped you.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

copied/pasted from www.mayoclinic.com/tinnitus

Tinnitus

ARTICLE SECTIONS
Definition
Symptoms
Causes
Risk factors
Complications
Preparing for your appointment
Tests and diagnosis
Treatments and drugs
Lifestyle and home remedies
Alternative medicine
Coping and support
Prevention

Causes

CLICK TO ENLARGE
Tinnitus
A number of health conditions can cause or worsen tinnitus. In many cases, an exact cause is never found.

A common cause of tinnitus is inner ear cell damage. Tiny, delicate hairs in your inner ear move in relation to the pressure of sound waves. This triggers ear cells to release an electrical signal through a nerve from your ear (auditory nerve) to your brain. Your brain interprets these signals as sound. If the hairs inside your inner ear are bent or broken, they can "leak" random electrical impulses to your brain, causing tinnitus.

Other causes of tinnitus include other ear problems, chronic health conditions, and injuries or conditions that affect your auditory nerves or the hearing center in your brain.

Common causes of tinnitus
In many people, tinnitus is caused by one of these conditions:

Age-related hearing loss. For many people hearing begins to worsen with age, usually starting around age 60. Loss of hearing can cause tinnitus. The medical term for this type of hearing loss is presbycusis.
Exposure to loud noise. Loud noises can damage your ability to hear. Heavy equipment, chain saws and firearms are common sources of noise-related hearing loss. Portable music devices, such as MP3 players or iPods, also can cause noise-related hearing loss if played loudly for long periods. While short-term exposure, such as attending a loud concert, usually causes tinnitus that goes away, long-term exposure to loud sound can cause permanent damage.
Earwax blockage. Earwax protects your ear canal by trapping dirt and slowing the growth of bacteria. However, when too much earwax accumulates it becomes too hard to wash away naturally (cerumenal impaction), causing tinnitus or problems with hearing.
Changes in ear bones. Stiffening of the bones in your middle ear (otosclerosis) may affect your hearing and cause tinnitus. This condition, caused by abnormal bone growth, runs in families.
Other causes of tinnitus
Some causes of tinnitus are less common. These include:

Meniere's disease, an inner ear disorder. Doctors think it's caused by abnormal inner ear fluid pressure or composition.
Stress and depression. This is an especially common diagnosis when hearing tests are normal and no other cause of tinnitus can be identified.
Head injuries or neck injuries. These neurological disorders affect nerves or brain function linked to hearing. Head or neck injuries generally cause tinnitus in only one ear.
Acoustic neuroma, a noncancerous (benign) tumor. Acoustic neuromas develop on the cranial nerve, which runs from your brain to your inner ear and controls balance and hearing. This condition is also called vestibular schwannoma. It generally causes tinnitus in only one ear.
Blood vessel disorders linked to tinnitus
In rare cases, tinnitus is caused by a blood vessel disorder. This type of tinnitus is called pulsatile tinnitus. Causes include:

Head and neck tumors. A tumor that presses on blood vessels in your head or neck (vascular neoplasm) can cause tinnitus and other symptoms.
Atherosclerosis. With age and buildup of cholesterol and other fatty deposits, major blood vessels close to your middle and inner ear lose some of their elasticity — the ability to flex or expand slightly with each heartbeat. That causes blood flow to become more forceful and sometimes more turbulent, making it easier for your ear to detect the beats. You can generally hear this type of tinnitus in both ears.
High blood pressure. Hypertension and factors that increase blood pressure, such as stress, alcohol and caffeine, can make tinnitus more noticeable. Repositioning your head usually causes the sound to disappear.
Turbulent blood flow. Narrowing or kinking in a neck artery (carotid artery) or vein in your neck (jugular vein) can cause turbulent blood flow, leading to tinnitus.
Malformation of capillaries. A condition called arteriovenous malformation (AVM), which occurs in the connections between arteries and veins, can result in tinnitus. This type of tinnitus generally occurs in only one ear.
Medications that can cause tinnitus
A number of medications may cause or worsen tinnitus. Generally, the higher the dose of medication you take, the worse tinnitus becomes. Often the unwanted noise disappears when you stop using these drugs. Medications known to cause or worsen tinnitus include:

Antibiotics, including chloramphenicol, erythromycin, tetracycline, vancomycin and bleomycin.
Cancer medications, including mechlorethamine and vincristine.
Diuretics — water pills — such as bumetanide, ethacrynic acid, furosemide.
Quinine medications used for malaria or other health conditions.
Chloroquine, a malaria medication.
Aspirin taken in uncommonly high doses (12 or more per day) may cause tinnitus.

PREVIOUSNEXT: Risk factors

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
Meniere's disease
Hearing loss
High blood cholesterol
Arteriosclerosis/atherosclerosis
High blood pressure (hypertension)
TMJ disorders

RELATED
Symptom Checker
MayoClinic.com Bookstore
'Mayo Clinic on Hearing' (Softcover)
'The Mayo Clinic Plan for Healthy Aging' (Hardcover)
ARTICLE TOOLS
Print
E-mail this
Larger type
Reprints and permissions

Jumpin Johnny

Post by Jumpin Johnny »

Thank you all for the information. I am on 4 to 6-5mg 325 acetominophen oxycodone daily regimen. I have also been subjected to high level noise in the work place, shoot fire arms and as I have gotten older (50) I always use hearing protection. In my youth I did not always use hearing protection in areas where I probally should have. I have used a peroxide flush and then soaked the ear canal with olive oil (suggested by my Dr.) and it has seemed to help some. It could be a combination of all the different exposures. I hope to see the ENT in the next couple of weeks and will share my findings.
One of my co workers also has ringing of the ears and like me it is predominate in one ear, he went to an ENT and was put thru the battery of tests and he found nothing attributall other than exposure to high noise levels. The Dr told him that slow release niacin could help.

Painful twitching legs, ringing of the ears and hair loss what next? :lol:
Jumpin Johnny