Can I just take iron supplements?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ladybug

Can I just take iron supplements?

Post by ladybug »

This may sound like a stupid question..but...would taking iron supplements help with rls????

I know this is too simple but hadn't seen anything about taking iron supplements......could be my brain fog.
I've been through some terrible things in life, some of which actually happened (Mark Twain) :-)

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Ladybug
Before taking any iron supplements, I would see your dr first and see if your ferritin leven (iron deficiency) is below 50. Talk to your dr and see what he says.

Remember no question is stupid. We are all here to get info and support and we learn from each other.

Take care and hope to see you on the chat line tomorrow night.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ladybug

Post by ladybug »

Hi Charlene,

I will call my dr tomorrow. I took a 1/2 of the ropinirole instead of a whole table tonight...I don't think my dr's gonna like that but oh well.

Did you ever feel a coldness in your legs? I live in the deep south (louisiana)..it's not cold here right now...but my legs just feel so cold tonight (this started before I took the ropinirole so it can't be that).I've been putting a heating pad on it. Is this a common leg sensation of rls?

Thanks for replying to my posts. I feel so blessed that this forum is here with people like you on it!!!
I've been through some terrible things in life, some of which actually happened (Mark Twain) :-)

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

I have not ever taken the parkinson meds, but have read many many times on this message board to start out with the lowest dose possible, so if taking a whole one make you feel so awful, I think you are very wise to try only 1/2 tonight. With the parkinson meds you can augument or rebound( rls happens earlier and more intense) so most have found that starting out with the lowest possible amount and slowly building up when you need to is best with these meds.

I am sure there will be other who have or are taking requip that can explain it alot better than I.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Ladybug what mgs are you taken with the ropinirole? With these meds it is smart to start out with the lowest dosage.

I know when I took requip they started me on the starter pak which went from .25mg up to 1mg. When she filled my prescription she did it for 2mg and that is when I started to augment (having rls anytime of the day or night). Needless to say, I am no longer seeing this dr.

I did cut the pill in half but then it was too late as I was augmenting too bad. I am glad that you are cutting the pill in half. You have to do what works best for you. If taken 1/2 of the pill is working for you then I would continue to do so.

I never felt a coldness in my legs. When you read the posts, some of the members said that the heating pad worked for them and then some of them used ice cold water. So it all depends on how your body reacts to things.

Alot of times my feet get real hot. I have alot of tile in my house so I stand on that for a while to get relief and at times it does help.

Please keep me posted and hope that you find what works best for you.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Scarlett46

Post by Scarlett46 »

Definitely talk to your doctor about the coldness in your legs.

I don't know if it could be RLS related or not... there are so many variations of symptoms. But you never know... it could be an unrelated circulation issue too. And you'd defintely want to get that checked out, anyway.

On top of RLS, I am a migraine sufferer too. When I take Imitrex for a migraine, one of the side affects is that I feel a "moving" sensation of cold in my head, down my neck and into my shoulders. I describe it as if the blood inside my head had suddenly turned cold, and I can feel it coursing through the veins in my head and back down towards my heart. Odd, I know... Don't ask me why I'm telling this in your thread... except that your description of "cold sensations" reminded me of it... LOL
"After all... Tomorrow is another day!"