Cymbalta

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
WAM

Cymbalta

Post by WAM »

Anyone have experience with Cymbalta and/or know anything about it?

Cymbalta was mentioned last Dr. visit, so I think it's coming.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's an antidepressant (an SNRI) that can worsen RLS, so be careful. It might not, but it's a possibility. The generic name is duloxetine.

Here's what the Hening, et.al book for doctors says, "...patients have complained about duloxetine and venlafaxine exacerbating their RLS. It is thought that the SNRI drugs increase levels of serotonin sufficiently to cause worsening of RLS symptoms. In addition, vanlafaxine has been shown to cause as much of an increase in PLM as do the SSRIs."

I read that it's also used to treat nerve damage and fibro, which may be why the doc is thinking it's worth a try.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

WAM

Post by WAM »

I'd rather get back on any narcotic I've ever taken than deal with this crazy drug. Never never again.
I took two....only two pills, one Friday and one Saturday and they had me so disoriented, tired, breaking out in sweats I couldn't hardly funcetion as a normal person. I yawned ever three minutes and my whole body shook out of my shoes.
Felt like I had a sixteen ton weight on me for'ed. It was bad.
I'm done.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I am sorry it didn't work, WAM.

Funny, I was just coming here to post a link about antidepressants.

http://chronic-illness-treatments.suite ... epressants
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

A family member takes Cymbalta. RLS isn't an issue for them, so otherwise they're happy with it. However, they're one caveat... they've run into a dose ceiling beyond which it makes them quite nauseated. I think it's 30mg that's okay, and 40mg that makes life no fun.

That's about all I know about it.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Pairodocs

Cymbalta and RLS

Post by Pairodocs »

I've been on Cymbalta (lowest dose) for Shingles Postherpetic neuralgia for a year while using hydrocodone to control my RLS. I haven't seen any problem at all with the Cymbalta. It controls my nerve pain very effectively with no other side effects.

carolsond

cymbalta

Post by carolsond »

Hi!

I took Cymbalta for about 2 weeks and it made my RLS worse. I had to discontinue it.

Sincerely,

CDol==

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I've been taking 10mg daily for a year and don't have anything that I could blame on the cymbalta.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

veldon7

Post by veldon7 »

I took Cymbalta for several months, it didn't make my legs much worse than they usually are, as long as I took Mirapex. I took it in the mornings, I didn't sleep well on it and it did make me nausiated. I am starting on 75mg of Venlafaxin (Effexor), I hope it doesn't make my legs worse, I tried it before, but was too nausiated. :cry: