Gabapentin dosage....feels like augmentation from Mirapex

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
zombie76

Gabapentin dosage....feels like augmentation from Mirapex

Post by zombie76 »

After trying a host of other meds, the doc decided to try Gabapentin. I've already tried Lyrica with little or no success is helping me get refreshed sleep but at this point I'm willing to try anything.
Started with 300mg at bedtime for a couple of days. I didn't notice a difference so I ramped up to 600mg at bedtime. My legs do seem to relax a little more at night and the only weird side effect is if I get up with less than 7 hours sleep I feel kind of drunk.

What is a concern is that my leg pain is now starting in the morning which it hasn't done since I tried Mirapex and Requip and augmented. Since Gabapentin isn't a DA, is this really uncommon? Anyone else have this happen?

thanks

Neco

Post by Neco »

How long ago did you stop the dopamine agonists?

Anecdotal reports seem to suggest augmentation can last a few weeks after stopping the med, or in the worst case you may have suffered permanent augmentation and be stuck with more severe symptoms for the rest of your life.. Though even the experts seem hesitant to believe in such as thing as "permanent augmentation", Ann (Viewaskew)however is one of the people who swears it happens and has suffered from it.

Also if it was stopped recentl you could be going through the period where after stopping a DA, augmentation or not, the effects temporarily worsen..

It really sounds like you need to receive opiates to successfully treat your RLS and get genuine, real relief. Especially after trying all these other meds, you fit the criteria under the Mayo Algorithm to qualify for opiate treatment.. I'm pretty sure we discussed it before, however I can't recall what was said entirely.. Hopefully it won't be an issue for you personally, or for your doc to prescribe them; or you may find yourself searching for another doctor.

zombie76

Post by zombie76 »

It's been several months since I took the agonists. The only thing I am taking right now is Synthroid for hypothyroid and Gabapentin.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hmmmm...is it possible the leg pain is different? It's so hard to tell sometimes, but just wondering....
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

zombie76

Post by zombie76 »

It's always the same...a deep burning in the back of my left thigh. Occasionally the tops of my feet around the ankles get a 'fatigued' feeling but over the past few days, just the burning.

Generally it does bother me during the day but after starting the Gabapentin it seems worse. I suppose it is possible that it isn't the meds making it worse and just a coincidence.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Just a thought but are you having any "swelling" in those areas. Swelling can be a side effect of gabapentin. May be a good question to ask Dr. B. regarding the gabapentin augmentation Q but I have not heard of that... Best of luck. M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

zombie76

Post by zombie76 »

No swelling, just the same pains.

We will see what happens at the doc tomorrow. I had asked him about stimulants at my last visit because I have such a hard time focusing and concentrating plus my energy is so low. He wouldn't rule it out so I thought I would re-visit that. Interestingly enough, I took the adult ADD online test and indications are that it might be an issue. I'm certainly not going to diagnose myself but I'm going to talk with him. Wonder if Ritalin or Adderal might be the wonder drug for me.

Jitterlegs

Post by Jitterlegs »

Yes! I got leg pain with gabapentin. I stuck with it for weeks but the dizziness for me was even worse than the leg pain. When I stopped the gabapentin, the leg pain remained for about a week, then it stopped. I thought I was cured! :roll: Then the leg pain came back after a month or so and I tried Requip again--bad idea, and now I am trying Lyrica. The jury is still out on this one. I want SOMETHING to work without nasty side effects!

I too have wondered about ritilin for daytime use. Haven't said anything to the dr. yet, though.

Let us know what you find out at your appt.

zombie76

Post by zombie76 »

Another dead end...
Doctor said to keep taking the Gabapentin that it may eventually work. Gee, after a week I would think that I would have some results...either good or bad.
Asked him about Adult ADD and if there could be a correlation between it and RLS for me. He basically said I don't have ADD and moved on. I'm not saying that I do or don't but I do have a bunch of the symptoms. I can't say for sure if the symptoms are just fatigue or something more but I'm disappointed that he wouldn't consider something else.

Oh well, guess I get to search for another doctor.