Tramadol information

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Polar Bear

Tramadol information

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Everyone
I have never had proper control of my symptoms, probably because I have been reluctant to up my medication and just tried to 'work through/walk through' the symptoms that didn't go away. Of course, they are nothing like as bad as before medication. And the medication has helped me so much, and I reckon I was afraid of change.

However, I have decided to try and improve my symptoms. I wrote to Dr B for his advice before I go and see my GP. Dr B suggested I increase my ropinerole slightly and also take it in 3 doses over every 24 hours, rather that in smaller and more frequent doses that I was using. I did this and it has helped a lot during the day.

Now, to my question, Dr B. said that codeine (30 mg prescribed tho I often took 60mg on a bed night) was not the best opiate for rls. He suggested Tramadol. I got several Tramadol 100mg extended release from a friend who has them for a back injury. (I know this is frowned upon - sorry) I took one a day at 4pm and found it a great help. My evenings and nights were so much better, just a little symptoms, even helped with other aches. For several days, that is, then last night was a walkabout night for a while, but not as bad as before.

I go to my GP in a couple of days and wanted to be able to know if the Tramadol was of any use to me before I ask for a prescription.

Can anyone tell me how long the benefits of a Tramadol extended release will last. Would it last 24 hours. i.e. Is one pill per day sufficient.

And also is a dose of 100mg extended release daily, sufficient for rls. I suspect perhaps not, but know that we are all so different. I don't know how my doctor is going to react to me asking for Tramadol.

Zach, I reckon you will know how long the benefits of one dose would last, also how long it would take after I take a Tramadol for the medication to take effect. I'd like to be a little aware so that if my doc gives me the Tramadol, I can discuss how and when to take it having received some advice from those who use it, or have used it.

Thanks for your help.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Recently I was pm'd asking for Dr B's email address. I pm'd a response but my 'sent box' did not show it. I don't know what I did wrong, and don't have time to work it out as I'm in work.

So for information: Dr B's email address is:
somno@verizon.net
(I hope this is correct) It can be checked on the So. Cal site but going through the procedure to send an email via the site page, but not actually using the site page. I usually then revert to my own email account to email him.

Hope this is clear.... its a bit garbled....
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I have been on Tramadol Retard (100 mg)for almost 2 years, before that I was on Tramadol regular (pills and liquid formula); in total I have been on T 8 years and it still works. I use it during daytime for getting some energy. It is not as potent as the narcotics though. I think it lasts 12 hours, can't really say, because after 8 hours I take Oxy.

I suffer from PLMW's in daytime and T doesn't adress these problems at all, but the narcotics dont' do that for me either. In my opinion it is great for RLS, but not PLMD.

Hope this helps a bit.

Corrie

Neco

Post by Neco »

Oh gosh.. I took it so long ago, its hard to say when it will kick in. I'd give it 30m to an hour, but I know very little about how the time released version works. I did get some Ultram ER samples, however being the little b****** that I am, I chose to crush them more often than not (oh my god, hardest pills EVER to crush with a spoon, too stiff for blades) for the immediate 100mg dose.

As far as I know its supposed to deliver 100mg over 12 hours or something like that. So you're getting a little less than 10mg per hour under ideal circumstances, which should cover you pretty well I think.

I know whether or not it is considered an opiate is up for debate and depends on who you ask, but I would advice you to regard it with the same amount of respect, regardless. I would assume you could take up to 4 of them a day, as the recommended maximum for Tramadol is 400mg/day. Even without conflicting medications once you go over 400mg the risk of seizures or other side effects goes up a bit.

It's hard for me to give a hard comparison vs Codeine, but I would gamble it is a lot more effective and definitely lasts a LOT longer, even in the instant release form. So there is a good chance you could get by with one Ultram ER every 12 hours.

Again,I seem to be very different from you guys and most any medication I take will hit me within 15 minutes, and then peak around an hour for that particular dose.

Waiting for my methadone to do that right now... I was up all night too, woke up around 11pm, but my dad goes to bed around 8 and he recently moved my meds and my mom doesn't know where they are.. He's given me funny looks lately, although a couple days ago I counted my pills and I could take an extra every night right up to my appointment if I really wanted.. But wasn't about to go wake him up and listen to him growl at me, heh...

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thanks Corrie, it is really the evenings that I would need it for, taking it at possibly around 4pm.... depending on how long it takes to feel the benefit.
Betty

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thanks Zach, you have been very helpful.
Betty

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Today I saw my GP. I went armed with the Mayo Algorithm and copies of Dr B's emailed responses to me. I had been rehearsing in my mind, for several days, how I was going to put it to him that I wanted to try Tramadol, and also should I tell him I had 'borrowed' a few from a friend, to try!! (I even had extra notes in my bag regarding my rls pattern over the last 10 days with and without Tramadol. Also that it helped my joint pain and my tennis elbow (don't laugh :lol: :lol: ) which was diagnosed today !!

I was totally prepared to make a case for myself, and if necessary defend myself.

At the appt I decided to be honest and told him about the borrowed pills...... he didn't even blink.

Wow.... he looked at the emails and said ' well, do you want to try this?'.
He looked at the Algorithm on daily rls and the recommendations and dosages.
He reckoned immediate release 50mg Tramadol was a better option that the slow release as I'd get more medication when I need it i.e. evening/nighttime. He told me to take them as necessary, i.e. one or two in the evening, gave me 30 pills to see how I got on with them, and if I do ok, just phone him for another prescription.

Dr B's email also mentioned my burning was likely neuropathy and to try the anticonvulsants ...... doc saw this on the email, mentioned this and said if it was ok with me, he'd like to see how I got on first with the extra requip (we think my dosage has never been correct) and the Tramadol, see where we are, and then add the anitconv.... Just so we know what is what before adding another medication to the mix.

He had said previously he was no rls expert, indeed had little knowledge at all... But he is willing to pay heed to Dr B.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You are a lucky woman, Polar Bear. While we'd all love to have a Dr B ourselves, having a man or woman who LISTENS TO OTHERS is worth his or her weight in gold...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Hope the Tramadol does work out for you.. Not so sure about your continuing Requip as it would be redundant if the tramadol by itself would take care of it, if it works out.. But go with what you think is right. I'd just say if you find yourself in a situation where you suddenly need to start increasing your Tramadol, remember the requip and consider reducing it over time to see if you even need it..

I'm guessing you might get a flare up as you reduce it, but its better to not have it at all if you don't need it, so you don't end up with augmentation and not realize it as you keep adding Tramadol or more Requip, etc.

Well hope that wasn't confusing, heh..

jumpy

Post by jumpy »

On my last visit to the pain clinic I asked if I could try Tramadol. I would really like to take something less than Lortab. She did not hesitate to write me a script. It was .5 3xs a day. I might as well been taking candy pills. No help at all. Back to the Lortab. Hope it works for you...Pat

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes, Views, I agree ... I'm pretty lucky with my doc.

Zach,

For 2 years I have taken 2mg requip spread over 24 hours, and supplemented with codeine in the evenings. It had certainly helped me but had never given good relief and I feel the dosage was never correct. But I had fought against taking any more meds or higher dose meds and just walked a lot. Recently I just felt, surely I can do better than this.

About the Tramadol (immediate release). I have rls 24/7 and now use the requip 1mg x 3 daily (at 8 hour intervals). Started this 10 days ago. But it is not quite enough for the evenings/night time even with 30 mg codeine previously prescribed. The plan now is that I take 1 x 50 mg only in the evening. Doc says I can take two if necessary but I hope that one will do. I had previously used the codeine (30mg but 60mg if I was desperate) in the evening. The requip has gone up from 2mg to 3mg over the 24 hour period. The Tramadol is an evening supplement, not over 24 hours like the requip.

Thanks for your comments - and for keeping an 'eye on me. :lol:
I do appreciate it, and welcome any advice given.

Believe me.... It took a lot, and a long time, before this increase of requip took place, and as I said, I never did have proper relief and think that the dose was never enough from the beginning.

This evening has been excellent, and if it continues good with the Tramadol (immediate release), then it could be an option that I try cutting from the 3mg down to 2.5 mg over the 24 hour period ???

You guys are my listening board and I wouldn't dream of any change in meds/dosages without discussing it here first.

Ta Zach.... and I don't find you confusing at all.

I think you're a gem.
Betty

eyeofskye

Post by eyeofskye »

Polar Bear, have you started on the Tramadol yet?

I just wanted to say to everyone that Tramadol can have unexpected effects. In my case I tolerate it very well but having spent some time in a pain support forum and from personal experience I know that some people don't. My personal example is my partner.

I use 250mg a day for pain, it's the only thing that works for me, so when my partner started having problems with a slipped disc I foolishly gave him one of my 100mg sustained realese tablets. As a result he was vomiting for 2 days straight during which time he could not stand for lack of balance and was halucinating as well. I have since heard that a lot of people have this sort of experience and it often comes with a general intolerance ( not an allergy) of opiates but Tramadol seems to be special.

Just something to be aware of. Also, some doctors seem convinced that Tramadol does not create dependence, it does and the withdrawal symptoms can be very bad, in my case not dissimilar to RLS on the one occasion when I tried to change to another drug.

That said I could not be without it as a pain killer.
Brian

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

my first experience on tramadol was when I had a back strain. I can't remember if it helped my back, I think it did, but mentally it was great, my husband could do no wrong. I always thought that was a wired response. Do any of you think that's a sign that I could eventually develop addictions?

BTW I've lived a very sheltered life. I've never even seen drugs of any kind in Real life. I've never drank, never smoked, never had coffee.

I also wanted to give a shout out for Dr B. It was here on the RLS foundation that I listened to his online taped conference. OMG it was like he was talking directly to me. It reconfirmed what I was going through. God bless him!
Someone cares about your sleepless nights

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Woodsie, I imagine that any drug that changes your mood is a potential for becoming psychologically dependent. It's not quite the same as what some of the big gun drugs do that makes people become addicted, I don't think.

It functions a bit like an antidepressant in some people. That's one reason it's good for RLS during the day: lifts your mood, awakens you a bit, etc.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Tramadol is probably one of the more mellow drugs I've had experience with. It has a very mild buzz that doesn't really overpower you like say, Vicodin, Codeine, Morphine, or Heroin. Those drugs tend to produce extreme physical and psychological euphoria with a very heavy chemical (but not in a bad way) feel.

Tramadol is more of the kind of feeling you have once in a while in life when you slept real good the night before and you wake up, not really tired not yawning and very content to start the day. Most of the feel good is probably the anti-anxiety/anti-depressant properties some people report giving them a quick "perk you up". In that respect you don't really get anymore addicted to it than you would an extremely effective SSRI. However it still does bind to opiod receptors, and still does produce feelings unique to opiate highs. So there is always a risk of dependance or addiction. It is usually regarded as very low with Tramadol compared to other full fledged opiates however.