Pain Management Clinics

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Johnny2

Post by Johnny2 »

Hello allen, I just wanted to offer a word of caution with hydrocone, i know alot of people have great success with it (i did) how ever i had an ever increasing dosage. it is a short acting drug cut with tylenol which really does have potential to cause liver damage, so it is not an ideal longterm solution. have you tried any other opiates? did your doctor suggest another course of treatment or simply blow you off to the pain clinic? you may consider asking him for a different med to supplement your hydrocodone, talk with him about "drug holiday" supplement
where as you could get the increase you need but rotate in another
drug for a few days a month in place of the hydrocodone, that would probably avoid the need for future increase (i'm sure that would have helped me) . I should have payed better attention to your post but if you
are sticking with hydrocodone maybe ask for norco 10/325 which is alot better for your liver.
Is it nap time yet ?

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Johnny, that's an excellent point. I think most people are aware of the hazards of Tylenol, but there probably are those who are no. I believe the daily limit of acetaminophen/paracetamol is 4000mg per day, but certainly don't quote me on that. Above that limit, or when it's combined with alcohol, it can trash the liver.

One of the British folks on another forum said something about this that I thought was interesting. She said that Americans seemed to try to totally eliminate the paracetamol completely, while the British tend to push the upper limits of the safe range. I don't know if it's true, but it does seem like we Americans really do tend to think more in terms of "geez, that stuff can be toxic in large doses, so let's not take any at all."
Susan