Reboxetine experiment

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
SquirmingSusan

Reboxetine experiment

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I'm tired of begging doctors to let me try things, only to find out that they don't work after all. So I ordered some Reboxetine online, figuring if it does work, I'll beg my doctor for a prescription at that time.

Well, I got it about a week ago, and have been taking it ever since. It's been GREAT. Yes, it has some yucky side effects - hot flashes, sweats, goosebumps, nausea, headache. But overall I have felt great. The very first tablet I took gave me so much energy, I couldn't believe it. I haven't needed a Provigil since; the morning dose wakes me right up and I stay awake. Late afternoon when I start feeling droopy, it's time for the second dose.

Only problem (well not the only one) is trying to figure out how to not take it too late, or too much of it too late, so that I can't sleep. I was up all night feeling absolutely fantastic - like I could have gone out my door and run a marathon. So, uh, yeah. I'm a bit tired and headachy today, but not falling asleep all day long.

I've done some web research and I've found abstracts from studies that show it's usefulness with major depression, chronic pain, and boosting energy and motivation. The other big problem is that it's not approved by the FDA, so I need to order it from Canada or oversees (which is what I did.) But it's easily available, not controlled, and fairly inexpensive, especially considering that it will replace 3 medications, some of which have huge copays - Effexor, Wellbutrin, and Provigil.

I saw my doctor today and brought in information about the med. She was actually happy with me for finding out about it and encouraged me to stay with it. We talked about Strattera, the US-approved counterpart, but she said that it seems that Reboxetine is a much "cleaner" drug, with less side effects and way less drug interactions. (Strattera has a major drug interaction with methadone, so it's a no go. But she says that MN law prohibits her from prescribing a non-FDA-approved medication to fax to a Canadian pharmacy. Sigh. She did encourage me to check out the Upjohn-Pharmacia site to see if there are any studies in the US, so that I could get the meds free.

Anyway, I am so excited about this. In the last few days I have felt like I did when I was younger and stronger and had energy. For the last several years I've felt like I've been trying to claw myself out of a huge black mudhole. And once again, I have some hope of returning to a normal life.

Of course I still have the RLS and the accompanying circadian rhythm disorder. But what if I only need 7-8 hours of sleep, and then can get up and function? Heavenly.

I just wanted to post and let you know my experience with this. I'll keep you posted.
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Wow, I'm ready to order it tonight...that sounds truly heavenly.

Like you, while the methadone resolves the RLS, I'm a zombie. I'm moody. I'm unhappy because I feel horrible most of the time. I just feel wrong.

I'm about to go to the doctor and ask for Wellbutrin because I can't stand this anymore...and DH is a bit tired of it, too. We're starting a new business and I have no energy. It's all a bad combination.

I'll be reading your posts with anticipation. Even if it doesn't work for me in the long run, it will sure be nice if it works for you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Susan, I saw my neuro yesterday and he mentioned a RLS patient of his that couldn't tolerate Wellbutrin and I said: well, try Reboxetine. He immediately said that that very morning he got some information about that it doesn't work well for depression.

Reading your very positive experience and the fact that I don't need it for depression but only looking for more energy I consider asking for it the next time I speak to him. Thank you so much for your comment: it seems that there is more choice now.

Corrie

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Susan I am so glad that you are getting the relief that you need. I will post later on what I am doing and has made a big difference in my rls and sleep.

Hubby and I are going away for the night because believe it or not today is my birthday and I finally hit the BIG 70. Wow cannot believe but feel so much better.

Hope all of you are getting the much needed relief that you all deserve.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

70 years young!!!

have a great time.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Ann, if you order some and it doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll buy you out. :wink:

Wellbutrin can be a great drug for boosting energy. My problem with it is that by the time I've taken it long enough to get that benefit, it get's to be too much energy. It makes me hyper and agitated, and one of the reasons I stay on antidepressants at all is so that I'm not yelling at the family constantly. I think if I lived alone, I'd be OK without them. But having kids (and sometimes a spouse) who don't do chores and generally need to be screamed at to get them to do anything, makes for a crabby me. So the energy from Wellbutrin can help, but it tends to put me over the edge. And it can take months for the energizing effect to kick in. If they had a bit lower dose in the extended release for, it could probably work for me, though.

Hopefully it will work just fine for you, Ann. And if it doesn't, you could try the Reboxetine.
Susan

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

cornelia wrote:Susan, I saw my neuro yesterday and he mentioned a RLS patient of his that couldn't tolerate Wellbutrin and I said: well, try Reboxetine. He immediately said that that very morning he got some information about that it doesn't work well for depression.

Reading your very positive experience and the fact that I don't need it for depression but only looking for more energy I consider asking for it the next time I speak to him. Thank you so much for your comment: it seems that there is more choice now.

Corrie

That's interesting Corrie, that your neuro said that it doesn't work well for depression. If you Google it, you'll find all kinds of studies that show it works better than most SSRIs, because it targets energy and motivation. There IS a Wikepedia article that says that it's not a good antidepressant, but it doesn't cite sources. Of course we all know that what works for one of us, won't necessarily work for anyone else.

One of the people at the crazymeds.us site says that he's heard that it either doesn't work at all for people, or it "the best thing ever." (Not that they're a reputable source. They're just power users of psychiatric drugs, lol, and have a lot of experience to draw from.) One thing that I thought was helpful that they said about this class of drugs, is that if it works initially, and then you get a crash, to take Tyrosine, because your body doesn't have enough adrenaline to work with. That seems to work for me as well.

Basically, it's a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, so it boosts the effects of adrenaline in the brain. So for energy it's great. And I'm pretty sure I'm ADD, and it does seem to help my brain function better. But for me it's like getting a shot of adrenaline, without the anxiety that usually goes along with a scary experience. I'm awake, relaxed and focused. And it worked with the very first pill I took, and much better than Provigil has worked for me. It's great not to have to fight to stay awake, and mostly lose the battle.

Corrie, you're so right about having choices and options. The more things we can try, the more chances we have of feeling better. I know you've struggled with the same kind of fatigue as I have, and I hope you can get some relief too.
Susan

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

ctravel12 wrote:Susan I am so glad that you are getting the relief that you need. I will post later on what I am doing and has made a big difference in my rls and sleep.

Hubby and I are going away for the night because believe it or not today is my birthday and I finally hit the BIG 70. Wow cannot believe but feel so much better.

Hope all of you are getting the much needed relief that you all deserve.

Thanks Charlene. I'm so happy to see you back "in these parts." I hope you've had a great birthday!
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Ditto Susan - hope your birthday was wonderful.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Thanks Susan, I have printed your comments on Reboxetine to show to my neuro next time (3 months) that I see him. He is always very interested and a top neurologist in my country. You know, it is always so great to read when a new med seems to work for someone. I always get excited, but I must be careful with that of course, because Wellbutrin was a disaster. I tried it 5 days en was crying all the time: bad reaction, so I quit.

Let's hope that it will work for you for a long time!
Corrie

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Last night, about 8pm, I realized that I hadn't taken any methadone yet, and that I only had mild pain. Today, I have no pain or sensations yet. This drug is supposed to help a lot with pain, but do I dare to hope that I might be able to cut down my methadone? I guess I'll find out over time.
Susan

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Good luck Susan... Hope tonight is just as good.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

wow...excellent

Managing Your RLS

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Thanks guys (gals)! I had another good day with minimal symptoms. And my dh looked at me and commented, "You seem to be doing a lot better lately..."
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Boy, what I'd do to hear that comment! Well, I'd give the most to hear that my sunny disposition was back...but I'd take anything the indicated I was more my normal self than my current self.

Managing Your RLS