New FDA Restriction on Narcotics!

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jml945

Post by jml945 »

Understood. I agree.
DX: GAD, Panic Disorder, RLS
RX: Lexapro (30mg daily), Mirapex (.25mg daily), Xanax (.5mg as needed)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

jml945 wrote:
So in order to say anything political we have to back them up with voting records? What about well known, unbiased, bipartisan facts? For instance, Zach mentioned that we are moving towards socialized healthcare. That's a fact, and it's something that Obama promised us all in his campaign. Can anyone disagree with that?

Again, please re-read my post. This isn't about that - take that OFF LINE. My point is that this isn't what we, as a board, are about.

Each forum/board has it's own vibe and philosophy. On some, anything goes. On others, you're zapped if you look the wrong way.

We're somewhere in the middle. We're here to provide support and help each other related to RLS. Discussing the politics doesn't change anything or help us be happier or have better quality of life. It simply causes people to argue their side, regardless of who cites what. It may be fun for some, it may be interesting, but it doesn't promote the enhancement of our quality of life.

Now, Susan's and Josh's posts about what do we do about the problem? Those help us.

Glad we're moving on.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

I want to start by saying I've not read everyones post past page one.

I hate to bring this up but I've been curious for some time now. Are there any statistics about RLS and suicide risk?

Feb 2008, one night, one very horrible RLS night I couldn't take it. I decided I was going to end my life. Not that night but within the week. I know everyones RLS is different, and I pray my eyes out that no one ever has a night like that.

My point is I think treatment and sometimes powerful treatment is needed to save lives.

I agree Doctors need to be very careful and besides verbal instructions written instructions would be good, I can't be the only one out there with a horrible memory.

Back to Feb 2008 for a little added sharing. Instead of ending my life I decided to quit my job, and cut back on anything that I did that required any brain power that wasn't directly related to the direct life and death of me or a family member. It is a much better decision and I'm happy to be here today.

I'm happy I finally have a good smart doctor connection. I'm glad I've finally got treatment options that are not a joke.
Someone cares about your sleepless nights

Neco

Post by Neco »

A couple of us have expressed similar views.. For me, the switch to Methadone has lifted a huge burden and significantly improved my outlook on my RLS and living with it. I have had to come to grips with many things in the few years I've been alive, that it takes many others a lifetime to experience.

But as long as I keep getting my Methadone, I think I'll die from old age

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I don't know of any stats related to RLS an suicide. I think most of us find a way...using forums like this, quitting our jobs like you did, going to ten doctors like I did, flying to see Dr Buchfurer as several people have done, etc.

My grandmother suffered horribly. Truly horribly. I don't know how she did it. But, she did. She died at 84 of kidney failure related to old age. She had no RLS drugs that helped her until she was about 75. Not having to work out of the home was helpful for her, but she was of an age where she cooked breakfast for my grandpa every morning, whether she'd slept or not.

Per the strong medicine side, we talked a lot after Heath Ledger's accidental death. About how important it is to keep our drugs locked away if necessary or give them to a partner/spouse to keep track of, and at the least, count them out early in the day and set them out so you don't mess up on the count.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Metabolic wreck

FDA restrictionw

Post by Metabolic wreck »

I think I'll jump in here now...

First, I don't think it's something I want the FDA deciding I can or cannot have. I think that's a medical decision, not a political one. And I WILL contact my representatives--fortunately, my congressman is a physician.

However, I would like to point out that physicians have a lot of information to keep up with, so I don't know that it's a particular hardship to require some specialized education to prescribe. I work in a hospital, and we have lots of requirements for particular activities.

As for cost--there may be a cost for receiving a certificate, but I'd be willing to bet that the pharmaceutical companies will provide the training at no or little cost. After all, it's in their best interest for the doctors to be able to prescribe.

There's generally some way to meet the lettter of the law, if not the intent. But, there are enough stupid laws out there that complicate life, we certainly don't need more!

The Wreck
Do not take life too
seriously; you will never
get out of it alive.
--Elbert Hubbard

Metabolic wreck

FDA

Post by Metabolic wreck »

I also need to apologize--my note needed to go in a couple of pages ago. I discovered after I posted it, that I hadn't followed the thread all the way through.

My apologies...

The Wreck
Do not take life too
seriously; you will never
get out of it alive.
--Elbert Hubbard

Neco

Post by Neco »

You don't have to apologize.. You didn't derail the discussion