Resisting Sinemet

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Heronak

Resisting Sinemet

Post by Heronak »

I picked up my prescription yesterday for a low dose of Sinemet and for some reason last night I was resisting taking it! Instead, I suffered through another night of little sleep. I've read about the possible side effects and they worry me a bit, but I think it's more about taking a 'serious' medication or being tied to meds that bugs me. Of course I've never resisted taking pain meds following surgery or antibiotics as needed, so why do I see this differently?

Can anyone give me their perspective on taking this med? Many thanks,

Heron

becattx

Post by becattx »

Hi, I'm a lifer RLS. I find this an easy question to answer in my mind, but not always in my heart.
Although I want relief, of some kind, in the worse way, I resist alot that is offered.
Let's face it, Medicine is Science......Experiments. It has become an exceptable practice to have side effects that make your present condition worse. Doctors can offer treatment.
I AM THE ONE THAT HAS TO LIVE WITH THE RESULTS.
I am considered a difficult patient. I OFTEN SAY NO TO UNNECESSARY TEST AND MEDICATIONS. WORST OF ALL, I TRY TO BE INFORMED. I ASK QUESTIONS. I EXPECT ANSWERS.
GOD BLESS AND GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR JOURNEY.

sardsy75

RE: Taking Sinemet

Post by sardsy75 »

Heron

All I can say is be very wary of this drug - it is notorious for its rebound and augmentation (don't I know it!!!! - my "diary" can be found under the "Prescription Drug Side Effects" thread)

If you haven't done so already, read the section on Sinemet in the Medical Bulletin on this site. Also, check out the information at: http://www.rlshelp.org/rlsrx.htm and http://www.jmjudson.com/Medications.html

However, if you only have a mild-moderate form of RLS then you should be able (with careful monitoring from your doctor) to use this drug quite effectively for quite a long period of time.

If you are really concerned about taking this drug, talk about it with your doctor!

The only real side-effect I had from Sinemet (and Madopar) was blood pressure that "bottomed out" at the drop of a hat (for the most part, just don't stand up too quickly!). I also had a bit of nausea, but nothing too bad.

Give it a go....you never know, it could be your "magic potion"!

Take care and let us know how you progress.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Woodsey Not Owl

I spell relief - SINEMET - not rolaids

Post by Woodsey Not Owl »

I've been suffering for 30 years. On Sinemet for 3 weeks now and I can sleep at night with ZERO PAIN.

This drug has been wonderful for me!

TRY IT !!!! It is not too expensive, and it works!!!!!

I had suffered about 5 nights a month since age 10. About 8 months ago the pain came every night and even during the day too. I was going downhill really fast with so little sleep.

I'm told by my Neurologist that the drug is taken up to 1400 milligrams by people with parkinsons. I started with two 100 milligram pills and sometimes use three each night. I take one after dinner and one as late as possible in bed. I still take some Darvon too, but have cut that way way back. I do wake at about 4 or 5 in the morning sometimes with minor pain creeping in, and one more Sinemet is enough to let me sleep the rest of the night.

PLEASE TRY THIS DRUG IF YOU SUFFER THE WAY I DO.

My Dad had this pain too, but he was only ever given pain pills. He took them for 40 years till his death about 5 years ago. They did not do much for helping him at all.

David Wood
davidwoodtravel@cs.com

I do not work for any drug company - e-mail me if you like.

Signed,

Pain Free !!!

David

Heronak

Sinemet Update

Post by Heronak »

Thanks for your replies, info and encouragement. I have been taking the generic Sinemet CR (25/100) for the last week and have had great success. For two nights I took only 1/2 a pill and that wasn't quite enough, so back to a whole one last night.

So far the only side effects I've noticed are some daytime drowsiness and headaches the last 2 mornings, which go away after an hour or so.

I'm thrilled to be sleeping again!

Heron

RJ

brand new to sinemet

Post by RJ »

I, too, was extremely leary of trying a new medicine and one that sounded quite daunting. In addition, I've previously had serious reactions to a few medicines, so I tend not to be very trusting of any drug or any doctor.
However, after a few years, of sleep deprivation, I felt like I was heading myself toward either a stroke or a fatal trip over the cat. So I got the Sinemet with some trepidation.
Even though it is fairly low dosage (25-100 mg), I took just one-eighth of a tablet as a "test". Call me nuts, but I could feel the effect within minutes and slept decently for once!
Second night the same.
Third night-- since I felt like I could feel the effects of this stuff all through the day, as well as the effects of having had two nights sleep, I actually skipped the 1/8 tablet approach and still slept well.
I don't necessarily know that monkeying around with dosage is recommended, but given my prior history and sensitivity to drugs, I'm very glad I made my own compromise. I'd used this approach as before, such as with Neurontin, and had concluded to never try that medicine again.
I've only done a small amount of research on Sinemet but it seems to be the drug of choice for all the anti-aging growth hormone activists.
All in all, I think being sleep deprived has much more serious consequences than trying this medicine. I'll keep the warnings in mind, but in the meantime, I got all my windows cleaned today! :D

Regards,

rj