melatonin?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
keana

melatonin?

Post by keana »

I have been taking melatonin at night but it is not effective at the 5mg. per night. Does anyone how much I can take w/o causing myself any problems.
Need to sleep.
Keana

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

=( I have no idea, I'm sorry.
Someone cares about your sleepless nights

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

5 mg is about the maximum. It's considered a "very high dose." Do you take it right before bedtime? It's generally considered to be more effective it you take it 6-8 hours before you go to bed. Somehow it primes the body to sleep, and you need a much lower dose.

My theory on taking hormones is that if they don't work, you probably aren't short on them in the first place. Instead of taking more and more, I'd try to find something else that does work.

But I'm not a doctor, just a biology-chemistry major with an obsession with pharmaceutics. :wink:
Susan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Susan said exactly what I'd say, but I still wanted to reinforce her post:

- That is a high dose. Most people take 1-3mg.
- You do want to take it at *least* three or four hours before bedtime. Melatonin starts a cycle, but that cycle doesn't produce sleepiness right away.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'd echo the part about....if it isn't working, it isn't likely to. That's what the research shows about melatonin. Only people who are lacking in it get any benefit from taking it. So, if it doesn't work at the recommended dose, it isn't going to work, most likely.

It's the find of what does work that can be very, very hard.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.