started methadone

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I just looked up the symptoms of peripheral nerve damage. One thing really stuck out... "changes in the skin, hair, and nails".

I am going to call my internist on Monday. I have been complaining about the leg cramps for years. Not one doctor I've been to has had an answer for them. They don't know what they're from and have no answer. I had them before I had RLS symptoms...long before.

Dale

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

Dale,
I also have leg cramps. at time really bad charlie horse type cramps, and they hurt so bad!!! I learned from others that taking Calicum and mag vits will help those, if I wake with charlie horses in legs and sometimes they hit both legs and that is HORRID!!! I get up and take a couple calcicum and mag, vit tables and it a short time my muscles relax and I can get back to sleep. Well worth a try!!!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Changes to hair, nail, and skin....

Dale, do you have any other physical things going on? You mentioned depression, which can be caused by nutrient deficiency. Hair, skin, and nail problems can also be nutrient deficiency. As can RLS.

In the past few months, we've had two or three people post about their RLS and an eventual diagnosis with celiac disease. I know that not all of us here have celiac, but since 1 in 100 of us in the US have it and 97% of those are undiagnosed, and since untreated celiac can cause many neurological symptoms....well, it's worth bringing up every once in awhile.

Neuropathy, headaches, tooth enamel problems, intestinal issues, anemia, B12 deficiency, nail ridges, skin patches that are red and scaly, are among the over 200 symptoms of celiac. It's so hard to diagnose because there is NO one thing that all celiacs present the same. One can be thin, the next overwieght. One can have all intestinal issues, the next none, but instead all neurological symptoms. Etc.

It's hard to convince a doctor to give a blood test if you don't have a relative with it or what the doctor considers the common symptoms (even though there aren't really many common symptoms, it used to be thought that weight loss and bowel issues were thought to be common, so doctors sometimes still believe that). But, in case you have a good internist or doctor who is willing to think outside the box, you might want to bring this up.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.