RLS meds

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Nan, hang in there. I don't know if your combo will work, but stopping Mirapex is tough for some people. Symptoms can intensify for about a week. When I stopped it, I thought I'd rather be dead :( . About the 8th day, it was like a miracle happened and it just went away.

Getting the right combo can be soooo hard and frustrating. When the DAs don't work or can't be used, going to opioids it what the Mayo algorithm recommends. A very low dose one like T-3 may not be enough for you given how much Mirapex you were taking. I tried a couple of low dose ones and Ultram before the doctor decided that he needed something with more 'Oomph." I know it's not for everyone, but we looked at the research, the algorithm, and what some of the RLS Foundation board members prescribe and chose methadone. It's been incredibly wonderful for me so far. My only complaint is that my doc doesn't want me to do a drug holiday. I don't want a holiday, but I do think it would be better. I'd rather avoid a messy withdrawal from it as I do know I will become physically dependent on it.

Ann

Nan

Post by Nan »

Hi Ann, thank you so much for the words of encouragement. I have been dropping my dosage down by .25mg every week....this week lower than that to .125 mg 2X an evening, combined with the 750mg of Keppra and 1-2 tylenol# 3.

There are nights when I just feel like I am not going to make it.

I hope that I have the same experience that you did, that it just clears up suddenly!

My neuro is pretty good and pretty supportive, but a little hesitant about the opiods, although clearly I am getting the tylenol#.

We'll see what happens.

Best regards.

Nan