Amitriptyline. Could it work for you?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Andy

Amitriptyline. Could it work for you?

Post by Andy »

Folks I was diagnosed with suspected RLS about 10 years ago. Tried a lot of the drugs discussed in this forum. Also tried a lot of the non drug related therapies. While I sometimes got temporany relief none were a permanent solution so I just lived with the pain.

Roll on 10 years and the pains were getting so severe that I took my problem to another doctor. After completing all the standard tests he sent me to another neurologist. He did not reckon I was atypical RLS and recommended Amitriptyline. The drug is usually pescribed for depression but is found to work for pain relief.

I have been taking the drug for 3 months now and although I get the sensations I do not get any pain. I have gone from waking in pain every 2 hours at night and a number of times during the day to zero.

As I was diagnosed as not atypical RLS this information is probably not relevant here but the information might be of use to some of you.

This site has been of great comfort to me over the years knowing that I was not the only body with unexplained symptoms. Good luck to you all.

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

Thanks Andy!

This was the first medication I used for my RLS. It was better then most but sadly I was not able to continue on the medication, due to side effects.
Someone cares about your sleepless nights

Neco

Post by Neco »

Glad that it appears to be working for you.. Though I am curious about one thing. I understand it takes away your pain, but does it actually resolve your complete symptoms? Do these unusual feelings you still experience prevent you from sitting still or enjoying resting activities (tv, movies, board games, computer use, etc) ?

If so you should consider asking your doctor about adding an additional medication that would take care of the symptoms.. especially if they interfere with your ability to fall asleep or maintain restful sleep.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I am also glad you found a solution.

Also want to through in a caveat....we're all different. Amitriptyline is on the "it causes problems for some" list. It surely doesn't cause problems for others, however. It's a "take with caution" drug - take it, note your symptoms, and if they worsen, immediately see your physician.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

A, Welcome to the board and thanks for the post. Am. did not work for me but glad it is working for you and some other I suspect. Best wishes. M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Hey Andy,

Welcome ... sorry you had to find us.

Good ol Amit-yada huh? I love the stuff and have been using it successfully as my brain's "off-switch" for around 4 years now.

I'm at the extreme end of rls so technically Amit-yada shud send me loopy, but it doesn't, which has annoyed a few people.

Glad to hear anothert success story. Bear in mind keeping track of whats still going on though.

Take care of you!
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!