Anti-smoking drug calms restless legs

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Nicky

Anti-smoking drug calms restless legs

Post by Nicky »

Did anyone else see the small article in the health section of yesterdays (24/3/09) Daily Mail? A dreadful paper usually, I couldn't get a link but it says 'A drug that helps smokers quit may ease the symptoms of restless legs. In one American study a patient was symptom free in three days." It continues:
"The drug bupropion, an antidepressant, works by increasing levels of three brain chemicals - dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine. It's biggest effect is on dopamine. In a trial, 100 patients with restless legs are being given the drug or placebo to take each night for six weeks.
Anyone know anymore?
Nicky

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's a commonly used drug in the US - not sure about in Europe, Nicky. It's trade name is Wellbutrin in the US.

It's used for depression in some and is considered the first med to try if you have RLS and need something for depression because it usually doesn't worsen RLS and sometimes it actually helps it.

I recently tried it. It did help the RLS so I didn't need as much medication (but I still needed it). Unfortunately it also gave me a relatively constant headache and I felt very quiet and couldn't handle any activity around me. I felt like I wanted to be in a monastery or somewhere similar where I didn't have to see anyone or interact at all. All interactions were somewhat painful.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

This is the anti-depressant called Wellbutrin. It is recognized as an RLS friendly anti-depressant, meaning it usually doesn't aggravate RLS at all, like almost every other AD does..

I find it odd that it would actually decrease RLS though, as at most it should have little to no impact on symptoms. This may be placebo effect all around, but perhaps another member here may know more about this.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think Wellbutrin is one of the drugs that they are no completely sure how it works....but if it interacts with dopamine in any way, it seems completely logical that it would help some people, doesn't it? Not sure why you're thinking it wouldn't help. Why would you think that, Zach? (Not putting you on the spot, just thinking it seems logical, so maybe I'm missing something).

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Wellbutrin helped my RLS as well, and especially helped with PLMs. But it made me completely crazy in other ways...
Susan

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

It helped me as well for RLS, but I had a very bad reaction and discontinued it.
Corrie

Neco

Post by Neco »

Well just going off what I had heard and experienced.. Although I don't think I was on it for more than a week or so. A lot of AD's seem to have some kind of effect on dopamine production in some way, I think, and I've just never heard that Wellbutrin, while being RLS friendly, actually helped with symptoms.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Nicky
Off the top of my head, and without checking this, I think Wellbrutin may be known here in the UK as Zyban which is licenced for use to help folk give up smoking. When doc was thinking that I have fibro he said amnitriptiline worked for fibro but wasn't good for rls and we were reluctant to go that route. I suggested Wellbrutin and he said it wasn't licenced in UK as an anti depressant and so couldn't prescribe it for rls. i.e. only for use to help cease smoking.

I hope I remember correctly here.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Betty, what you said makes sense - it is called Zyban for quitting smoking, and I remember you mentioning your doctor couldn't give it to you.

Managing Your RLS