New to Mirapex

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
WillaH

New to Mirapex

Post by WillaH »

I have suffered from RLS for 30 years (RLS gradually worsening) and have finally sought help from a neurologist. He suggested I try Mirapex .025 mg as needed. I have managed my RLS during the week by getting up at 5:30 a.m. and going to sleep at 9:00 p.m. thereby almost eliminating my RLS but on weekends I would like to stay up later to enjoy some quality time with my partner. I took my first dose (1/2 a tab) Friday night and it was a miracle. For the first time in 30 year my legs were quiet. However, Saturday was a write off. I was so groggy I could hardly function. I drove somewhere and struggled to stay awake. I didn't feel like myself until 24 hours later. I would only like to take the Mirapex on weekends but with the side effect of extreme drowsiness the next day I'm not sure if Mirapex is an option for me. If I only take Mirpaex on weekends will the drowsy effect eventaully wear off? Interestingly, my legs were quiet the following evening as well but after readng the posts on this board I did take a very small piece of Percocet and this may have helped. I was not drowsy today.
I am grateful for this discussion board. I have learned a lot about RLS since joining.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Willa,

Welcome.

I'm not sure what will happen. If you take it regularly, the drowsiness sometimes goes away (sometimes not). Not sure about taking it once in awhile.

But, Sinemet is a good option. It's bad for daily use, but excellent for using just a couple times a week. It works quickly and doesn't have the drowsiness the next day, I don't think.

Also, taking an opioid just twice a week would potentially work well, too.

All options to discuss with the doctor. Hope you find a solution that works to get in some quality time. That's very important.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jml945

Post by jml945 »

I have been on .25 mirapex for about 3 months. At first it worked like a charm, but like you I became overwhelmingly drowsy. Since then it has worked well, without the drowsiness but I began getting headaches at night.
Recently, (the last week or 2) my RLS has been tremendously worse. It may be even worse than it was before I took the meds. Not sure if this is augmentation but I am going to my doc to discuss this to see what he thinks.
DX: GAD, Panic Disorder, RLS
RX: Lexapro (30mg daily), Mirapex (.25mg daily), Xanax (.5mg as needed)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

PLEASE read about augmentation, Jim. I truly think that is the most likely. When RLS gets worse and it's less than 2 years AND you've been taking Mirapex or Requip, it's almost always augmentation. It could be a few others things - like you changed a drug, added something you weren't taking, etc., but augmentation is the most likely.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I was only taking 0.125 mg of Mirapex for about 2-3 weeks. I decided to stop to see if some problems I was having were the cause of the medicine.

My doctor told me that for 2-3 days after stopping the medicine, I would experience stronger RLS symptoms, which would return to its normal problem after that time. It is now the third day and the RLS symptoms are still stronger. Actually, they may be the same. It's just when I was taking the Mirapex, they were much better.

Now I have to decide whether to go back on it. It's really hard being torn between...which is worse...the illness or the cure?

My big problem is the depression. Actually, since I've been off the Mirapex I have been more depressed. I'm not as obssessive, but very depressed.

On a happier note: I may have found an apartment!!! :lol: Well, I did find one, but a bid in, but am waiting to see if it is accepted.

Please, please, please pray that this goes through. I have to get out of this apartment.

Dale

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You've got my thoughts added to your thoughts - here's to getting it!

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Good luck = hope you get your new apartment.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Neco

Post by Neco »

2 -3 days? Sounds like your doctor is nuts or misinformed... its more like 2 - 3 weeks from what I have heard.

Unless you've only been on it like a week or something.. All I know is I augmented on my very first dose and it took a little over 24 hours for it to calm down.

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I'm going to see my doctor on Thursday. The RLS symptoms are still pretty bad after being off the Mirapex five days. I'm only sleeping four hours a night maximum. The leg cramps are too severe.

I want to go to FL to visit my mother and don't know what to do about the plane ride from NYC. Last time I had to stand in the back of the plane for the 2-1/2 plus hour trip. If there is turbulence or we are held up on the runway, they won't let me do that. I was going to ask the doctor for some medicine I could take for the plane trip.

Dale

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Good idea for something to take during the plane trip.

Dale, some people do get past the increased symptoms within 3 days, but many of us took a week or even two or three weeks to have them abate. Usually the longer time is related to augmentation. But, keep hanging in there.

Managing Your RLS

Neco

Post by Neco »

Print out the Mayo Algorithm from the link in my signature and go over it, then go over it with your doctor at your appointment.

Opiates are recommended for people coming off Requip or Mirapex to help deal with the increased symptoms. Usually Oxycodone is recommended, but I would think even getting some Codeine or Vicodin would be of tremendous benefit to your situation.

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Tonight is the worse night I've ever had. I don't know what to do with myself. I can't believe taking Mirapex for 2 weeks could cause such a strong reaction. I have been off it for one week. I am so desperate I feel like taking 1/2 a pill.

I can't take codeine because of the MAOI.

My legs won't stay still. I can't sleep and I'm exhausted because I haven't slept much in two nights.

Dale