Oxycodone question~

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Jitterlegs

Oxycodone question~

Post by Jitterlegs »

I have been taking oxycodone for a week at 5mg. I have not slept well since I started it. I have a hard time falling asleep for hours and it is like my brain is swirling with thought and can't shut down. Last night I increased to 10mg and it was so much worse.

Anyone else experience something like this with this drug? Did it get better over time?

Neco

Post by Neco »

I get somewhat of the same problem in high enough doses of Methadone, and used to deal with it all the time with recreational doses of Vicodin.

Everyone is different. but some people are just stimulated by opiates apart from the normal population, it takes different amounts for different people as well. You may want to ask about an alternative medication that you can try.

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

that's exactly how it was for me. I cared less about my legs, so it helped in that regard, but there was ZERO sleeping while taking it.
Someone cares about your sleepless nights

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Yup, I think that's pretty common with drugs like Oxycodone, Vicodin, and even Tramadol. It was a problem for me with Vicodin - I felt great, but couldn't sleep. I don't get that side effect with methadone, thankfully.
Susan

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

I do Susan, it sucks so bad. I don't know what to do next. Hope my Doctor does.
Someone cares about your sleepless nights

Jitterlegs

Post by Jitterlegs »

Thanks for your replies, it validates what I was feeling. I was trying to think if it could be stress related, but I haven't been stressed that i am aware of. I was looking online for information about insomnia as a side effect, but I could only find sedation. I didn't spend that much time looking, though.

Maybe this would be an option for me during the day? I have 24/7 RLS. I seemed to sleep really well while I was taking codeine, but it didn't have an effect on my RLS otherwise.

Anyone use oxycodone during the day? So far, it has only been prescribed for me at night. I'd be also interested in what dose people are on. My rx says I can go up to 20mg, but I can't even begin to imagine what I'd be like on that much! :shock:

coaster

Post by coaster »

Oxycodone affects me like that, too, but hydrocodone doesn't. Hydrocodone helps suppress the twitchies and also helps me sleep.

If you're not also taken the opiods for pain, I'd suggest researching Lyrica. It would be an off-label use for RLS so you'd have to do the due diligence to convince your Dr. But for me, although it was prescribed for my FMS, it's been just great against my RLS.
~ Tim ~
hot topics & current events: The Bill Sebastian Forum

Jitterlegs

Post by Jitterlegs »

Tried Lyrica and can't tolerate it. Along with Mirapex, Requip, and Neurontin. It gets frustrating. I am on my 6th medication.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

have your tried ultram(tramadol) its has sort of an antidepressant effect and helps my rls alot

Jitterlegs

Post by Jitterlegs »

That isn't one that I have tried. I think that and methadone are about all that is left that I haven't tried unless I am not aware of other drugs out there.

I think that I read something that tramadol shouldn't be mixed with sarafem--which is actually fluoxetine. Is that correct? Or is it that you need to be more careful?

coaster

Post by coaster »

Jitterlegs wrote:Tried Lyrica and can't tolerate it. Along with Mirapex, Requip, and Neurontin. It gets frustrating. I am on my 6th medication.

I just looked at my "Previous Medications" list and there are 36 entries there. (Those don't include the six or seven I'm on now.) Granted, I've got several other conditions, but there's a lot of cross-over. So I think I know exactly what you're feeling!! :(

Two comments: before you give up on a medication either for side-effects or for lack of efficacy, you need to be on it long enough to make sure it's just not a case of developing tolerance. In my experience, three months per new med is a minimum. Then there's the matter of dose titration. You may require either a smaller or larger than standard dose. Then there's the matter of interactions. So it's a very, very complex problem. But, chances are that you WILL find something that works for you. Keep doing your research and don't give up.

Some people get relief; at least enough relief to fall asleep; from certain kinds of exercises. Have you tried any of those?
~ Tim ~
hot topics & current events: The Bill Sebastian Forum

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I'm a little late on responding to the original question, but...

Opioids make *most* people (like me) kinda comfy-dozey, so that's what you'll find in the typical side effects list. However, that wouldn't be a very comprehensive list. Unless you see a side effects list with a hundred entries, it's usually not comprehensive. :)

You're in the smaller group my wife is in. She can't take oxycodone near bedtime, or else she gets all speedy and can't sleep.

It's just one of those biological-difference things. It's the same idea as what Ritalin does to ADHD patients vs. what it does to regular people. You just have to be aware of it when surveying websites for side effects or anecdotal reports.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Jitterlegs, would it be an option for you to try OxyContin (= extended release) as you are having 24/7 RLS, like me? You could try Tramadol in daytime (also extended release) so that you can take minimum dose of Oxycodone.

Corri

Jitterlegs

Post by Jitterlegs »

Corri, did you mean "like me" as in you have 24/7 RLS or as in you take oxycontin?

Aiken, do you think if I respond to oxycodone like I do it would be a good alternative for daytime RLS? I was meaning to try it during the day this past weekend when I didn't have to work, but forgot to. :roll:

Coaster, I havne't been able to be on the medications for very long because of side effects. I haven't even found one that works let alone loses it's effectiveness. Codeine was the first medication that I didn't have bad side effects from, but did nothing for my RLS. I guess my dr. figured if it didn't work at the dose I was on, something stronger was needed. I haven't tried exercises. I don't usually have a problem falling asleep, it is staying asleep, but that is a good thought.

I have had RLS as long as I can remember, would I even know what it feels like to be "normal"?????? :?

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I meant 24/7 RLS
Corrie