Neurologist

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Great that your neuro was familiar with the name change, it shows he has some sort of a connection with updates.

Would be great if you could get prescribed the codeine on its own. I wonder why the Tylenol instead?

Hope you have another good night.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

I agree with PB, don't be afraid to tell your dr. you're worried about taking a medication you don't need, i.e. the acetominophen, and ask if he would be able to give you plain codeine. I took plain codeine along with gabapentin for almost a year.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

Tylenol with Codiene is standard pain meds after minor but painful surgeries, like dental surgery, or after major surgery when you don't need the big guns anymore. As a result it's easily obtained, whereas pure codeine might be technically a Class 2 substance which means fewer pharmacies carry it and it is a PITA to get. My Adderall needs a paper RX and they can only dispense one month at a time. And no refills - I need a new paper RX each time.

That's all to say I'm sure you can get it by itself and given all the hoopla recently about Tylenol overdoses, it's probably a good idea to avoid taking it on a daily basis.

Side note about the acid reflux side effect: I can't take codeine because it makes me vomit. However, it sort of moves progressively from acid reflux and nausea with the first dose to full-on vomiting a few doses later. I've read that it has something to do with how I metabolize the drug and that it runs in families - my grandmother couldn't take it either.

I can do morphine, I think, whatever is in those pain pumps where you press the button every 7 minutes or so. I just mention it in case the codeine does end up not agreeing with you - there are other options that work. Good luck!
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

veldon7

Hormones and PMS

Post by veldon7 »

I noticed my legs get worse during PMS. I have to take extra Mirapex. I am going through Menopause and my Migraines have gotten worse, has anyone tried Estrogen or Premarin? Just wondered if it would help the increase in RLS and Migraines.

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Chipmunk wrote:Side note about the acid reflux side effect: I can't take codeine because it makes me vomit. However, it sort of moves progressively from acid reflux and nausea with the first dose to full-on vomiting a few doses later. I've read that it has something to do with how I metabolize the drug and that it runs in families - my grandmother couldn't take it either.

The reflux has diminished after taking it for a week. I had the same problem when I first started taking neurontin, and it got less and less the longer I took it to the point I have none at all now. I guess my body adjusts.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

Wayne wrote:
Chipmunk wrote:Side note about the acid reflux side effect: I can't take codeine because it makes me vomit. However, it sort of moves progressively from acid reflux and nausea with the first dose to full-on vomiting a few doses later. I've read that it has something to do with how I metabolize the drug and that it runs in families - my grandmother couldn't take it either.

The reflux has diminished after taking it for a week. I had the same problem when I first started taking neurontin, and it got less and less the longer I took it to the point I have none at all now. I guess my body adjusts.

Lucky you! Glad to hear it!
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Wayne

Re: Neurologist

Post by Wayne »

Went to visit my regular doctor this week so that I could get my prescriptions renewed, and he told me what I'd been anticipating for the last few years. He is going to be retiring in a few months. Going to miss him as I've been going to him for the past 24 years ever since I moved to this area. He wrote out my prescriptions so that I will be set for the next 6 months at least.

Not only that but the practice is going to be relocating, as the state wants to widen the road they're on and need their property to do it. They've been fighting it but he said it was a losing battle.

But, as luck would have it, I will also be moving in a few months to a new condo which will be in the same area that the practice is moving to, I'll just have to see another doctor in the practice.

So even though I'm sad to see him retire, I'm glad that coincidently they're moving to the same area as I am and can continue as a patient with the practice with a different doctor without having to drive for 40-50 minutes to get there.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

It's always sad when a good health-care partner retires, but hopefully he can recommend someone else in the practice with whom you will mesh.

That's a lucky break that they are moving the same place as you!
Tracy

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

What luck! I hope the other doctors are as excellent as he's been for you.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Wayne, as one door closed, another opened :)
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation