I'm CURED!!!

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
loriblundell

I'm CURED!!!

Post by loriblundell »

this is the drug I used, Symmetrel (Amantadine).

I was on it for about 2 months and no RLS, then I ran out and instead of panicking, I waited to see how long it would be before symptoms came back. Well it's been 4 months now and NOTHING, I've been symptom free all this time!!! I honestly think I'm completely cured. Everyone should try it, you have no idea how good it feels to fall asleep at night in peace. P.S. just for the record, I had been on Reqip about a year and it worked, but I needed to keep increasing the dose, I tried tons of other non prescription methods and nothing else worked until I tried the Symmetrel (Amantadine). I learned about it on another RLS website. Thank God for these wesites to help people.

woodsie357

Post by woodsie357 »

Awesome! I'm so happy for you. I think once you get into a sleep routine and stick with it, and not think about your legs it can be a lot of help. I hope it never comes back!
Someone cares about your sleepless nights

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Lori - I also hope it never comes back. It's rare that any of us ever get rid of it permanently, but it does happen at times. I'm wondering if any other changes happened during that time that may have helped, too. Whatever the reason, happy sleeping.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

Lori,
Happy to hear you have had success with Symmetrel (Amantadine) and that you no longer suffer from rls.

Since Symmetrel (Amantadine) is another Parkinson med, did your Dr explain what was different about this med than the other parkinson meds? I am just wondering what it has in it that the other Parkinson meds dont have and exactly what would make it correct the neuro problem that rlser's have.

If you could discuss this with you Dr and get back to us, it might be very helpful to many rlser's!

Again Enjoy your new found life!!!

Thank you!

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I believe that Dr. B talks a bit about amantadine as being helpful for some people. It seems like I've heard that it can help with PLMD. I have a stash around here, because I was going to try it, but chickened out when I read the side effect list. It's also an antiviral, which is useful in treating the flu, so I'm glad I have it around right now.

I'm so glad it's working for you, Lori.
Susan

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

Lori,
I just reread your post and you are saying that you only took the Symmetrel (Amantadine) for 2 months and stopped taking it, and you still have no rls? Wow that is amazing.

How long have you had rls before taking Symmetrel (Amantadine)

Anyone else out there ever taken Symmetrel (Amantadine) I would love to hear from others that have taken it.

Betty/WV

Re: "I'm cured"

Post by Betty/WV »

Amazing!!! I have never heard of anyone being cured of RLS. If it worked for you , more power to you. Has anyone else out there got rid of their RLS???? If so I would like to hear from you. BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Betty, over time I know of only a few people who've never had RLS again. Those were usually people who had RLS because of a drug or other medical problem and when the problem resolved, the RLS resolved.

I hope that Lori never has it again. Ever. Statistically, the odds are not in her favor. But, I'll keep hoping she beats the odds.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jbrinkley

Post by jbrinkley »

I'm curious as to how severe Lori's RLS was. I've never heard of anyone being cured, didn't even know it was possible. I've heard of people finding things that cut back on the pain/suffering from RLS, but even the doctors I've talked to said there is no cure.

I had over 700 leg movement during my sleep study. (if you can call it that). :-) that of course is without my mirapex.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

J- I don't know how definitive the literature is about whether RLS can go away. I do think it says that some people do go into periodic remissions for no known reason. And that some people (the minority) actually have it decrease in intensity over time.

Not the most of us, though. I just am happy for her; I don't expect this will happen to most of us, though.

Managing Your RLS

john_a

Post by john_a »

I don't want to put a dampener on things, but I have read a lot about where RLS can go into remission for periods of time, but always reappears (in the cases I have read about). When it does come back, the symptoms are usually worse than before.

Here's something I found about Symmetryl on a recent mediacal website:

Amantadine (Symmetryl®) is an antiviral drug with dopamine agonist properties. It increases the release of dopamine and is often used to treat early-stage Parkinson's disease, either alone, with an anticholinergic drug, or with levodopa. Generally, it loses its effectiveness within 3 to 4 months.

John