Mirapex and Compulsive Behavior

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Sleuth

Mirapex and Compulsive Behavior

Post by Sleuth »

I've been reading up on the side effects of Mirapex. There are a number of articles about compulsive behavior, such as gambling, overeating, etc.

Can it increase any compulsive behavior. I have problems with being compulsive about a number of things that have nothing to do with anything mentioned. I'm basically a perfectionist, which makes my life very difficult. Would Mirapex increase that? I'm feeling it this morning, in particular, which is why I'm asking.

I am just about paralyzed with anxiety over doing simple things connected with my little business of selling online.

Dale

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Dale

Couldn't say for sure, but I am also pretty much of a perfectionist and can get wound up about things not done, to be done, get them off the 'list' so I can relax.... except there's always something else. !!
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I don't know the answer to that. The literature in the research journals only discusses gambling, and to a lesser extent weight. Oh, and some about sex.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I personally would guess/assume that the side effect of mirapex is one of amping up an existing compulsion, and since gambling, eating, and sex are the most common compulsions even without meds, they show up the most in mirapex's side effect warnings. I'd swear I've actually read a description of the side effect in broader terms, e.g. something like, "may increase compulsive behaviors," but I'm not sure where I saw that.

So, in my humble opinion, if perfectionism was an existing compulsion, and if that compulsion increased at the same time that the drug was introduced, it might be reasonable to guess that it might not be a coincidence.

Still, I'm not a doctor, so if yours seems to have a clue on such matters, you should talk to him about it. (Increased) compulsions can be a real problem and should not be ignored.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Now that I've been taking the Mirapex for two weeks, I can say that my obsessive-compulsive behavior has become much worse. I am having other problems with this medicine, so am going to stop it for a few days to see if that behavior calms down.

Dale

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Probably a good idea. If you find that you think this was causing the behavior but that it also did help the RLS, it is probably worth trying Requip. While they work in a similar fashion, people often respond to one differently than the other as far as side effects go.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

gymper

Post by gymper »

For me it was just gambling.