Does anyone know how LDN affects RLS?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
RamblinRosie

Post by RamblinRosie »

I have suffered from RLS for years, tried many vitamin/mineral supplements, homeopathic pills/creams/remedies, aroma therapy, acupuncture, hypnosis, massage, cranial-sacral treatment, many drugs. I am now taking 1mg of Requip a.m. and 2 mg at p.m. Two remedies that have worked consistently for me for about 8 years are Darvocet N-100 and surgical hose. Both when needed.
I have other issues, a spinal cord injury and breast cancer (lumpectomy this past Jan). I have refused chemo and radiation and all drugs so far, but have recently heard about and have been looking into LDN, Low Dose Naltrexone. I googled LDN and was amazed at all the ailments LDN supposedly helps/cures, e.g., HIV/AIDS, MS, Parkinson's, Fibromyalgia, COPD, ALS, cancers, and much more.
Last month there was a European LDN conference in Glasgow. Last Oct the 4th Annual LDN conference in L.A.
This is an old drug, supposedly no side affects, FDA approved, cheap. Pharmaceuticals would not make $ on this.
Does anyone know of any studies w/LDN and RLS? Or the affect LDN has on RLS? I want to know more about it.
Thanks for any and all comments. RR

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I haven't heard anything, but that doesn't mean much. If it's supposed to have helped Parkinson's, that is a good thing in terms of RLS, just because they are in similar areas of the brain and something that helps one has a chance of helping the other.

Have you done any research on any research sites? (not required in any way, just curious)
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

RamblinRosie

Post by RamblinRosie »

Ann, Are there any research sites you'd recommend? RR

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Here are a few for searching medical articles:

http://www.jwatch.org/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

http://www.medscape.com/

There are many, many more, but these have a good cross section of topics. Other places, for example, only publish one journal or a specific to a condition or medical area.

While a Google search is somewhat helpful, these searches will net you more than you thought possible (usually).

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I've wondered about that myself, but I'm not in a position to try it. Apparently it doesn't work if you've EVER taken opioids on a regular basis for anything.

Let us know if you try it, how it works or doesn't work...
Susan

Neco

Post by Neco »

Can also look around pubmed

RamblinRosie

Post by RamblinRosie »

Thanks for the links. I have been browsing for hours. Have found quite a bit of info. Not sure I can digest it all. Much is over my head. I also found a Yahoo Group lowdosenaltrexone which I'm trying to join. I've got a lot to think about. Thanks for your responses.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Those articles sure can be over our heads! But, if you read them enough, you start getting the lingo and can get the gist of them. Still, I am often stymied by something that clearly is medical-speak.

Managing Your RLS