Has anyone given up day-time meds?/opiates/sleepiness

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Helen518

Post by Helen518 »

Thanks, Ann. I chose Klonopin because I thought I'd be more likely to sleep thru the night. But I do have about seven 0.5mg lorazepams I could try those.

I read something this morning that disturbed me. A study that concluded that folks with central sleep apnea due to opiates are not recommended to take benzodiazepenes.

My doc said there is a possibility I am having central sleep apnea and that is why I am so sleepy during the daytime. This is one of the reasons I am to do a sleep study. I wondered if sleep apnea could also explain the sudden awakening with a panicky feeling and tight feeling in chest?

WHen I was on 25 mg of methadone, I would be siting at my desk, fall asleep, then wake with a sudden, deep intake of breath. Does that sound like apnea?

So, I have become very scared that I will stop breathing during sleep.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Its very possible, to be honest.. and without opiates I'm not sure what you'd do.. Is there any medication you can try going back to?

But also keep in mind, even if the opiates are causing the apnea, they have CPAP machines to help with that.. I know it sounds silly when you can just quit taking opiates, but its a quality of life issue at the same time.

What good will not being tired in the daytime do, if you can't sleep anyway. Then you'll end up tired 24/7 from exhaustion?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'd concur that it's possible, but you won't know anything until you have the study. Another good reason to go. I imagine it's a bit scary going, but maybe this will be the key that helps you put everything together, getting the right treatment you need.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Helen518

Post by Helen518 »

I am going to pretend it is a business trip--I've done tons of those. The only problem is that I need someone else to drive me there because I can't be trusted on the road for more than an hour at a time (the drive is 1.5 hours if the traffic is good). If I was in bumper to bumper traffic for more than 5 minutes I think I would fall asleep and rear-end someone.

I found this at emedicine.medscape.com: "Central sleep apnea due to drugs or other substances occurs mostly after 2 months of opiate, especially methadone, use and improves after approximately 5-7 months of continuous usage. Other opiates, such as morphine, can also cause central sleep apnea."

My nasal passages do feel a bit inflamed and my husband has said that I do snore from time to time, so maybe I have obstructive sleep apnea. When I fall asleep face down in a massage table sometimes I get pretty blocked up.

From the little I've read, I don't think the CPAP machines work very well for central sleep apnea. Mostly for obstructive sleep apnea. It would be funny if both me and hubby wore those things together! Talk about putting one in the mood. I also wear a bite guard which compounds my allure!!

I took only an eighth of a mg of Klonopin at bed last night. I woke at 2 am and 3 am with some discomfort in my chest but no panic and no creepy crawlies.

It will be good to have the sleep study and find out some answers.

Johnny2

Post by Johnny2 »

My sleep study brought a diagnosis of osa, dr said the opiates did not help but were not the cause. I have always been an active person and could not picture my self plugged in to cpap every night,
though surgery success stats vary, my doctor said because I am not over weight I would have a greater chance for success, so I had a tonsilectomy and uvulopalatopharyngoplasty(wow). It was very painful for about a month, I did a follow up sleep study 6 months later and it did show 100% success, and I was feeling great. surgery certainly is not for everyone with osa, I'm thankful that I do not have to roll-play an f-16 pilot in bed every night (would have made hunting trips tough also)
Aside from that makes ya wonder how some of us get so lucky, to get blessed with 3 sleep disorders rls/plmd/osa, perfect!
anyhow I hope you get the results you are looking for from the sleep study, be it finding something or nothing.....I wish you the best :)
Is it nap time yet ?

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

"uvulopalatopharyngoplasty(wow)" No kidding, wow!

I have a bit of central sleep apnea, and had it before taking methadone. It wasn't enough to treat, though. I believe there is a machine called a "bipap" which is used more for central apnea.
Susan