hydroxyzine/atarax

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Sojourner

hydroxyzine/atarax

Post by Sojourner »

I know this is one of the not good antihistamine group but based on some type of newly acquired skin condition/alergy one (antihistabmine) has been recommended for "consideration" and jeepers i am in need. Doc is aware of the possible rls ramifications but wondered if it was worth a try or if I was willing. Anyway, wondering if anyone has taken this and did not have a worsening of their rls. Also wondering, if it does not agree with me, how long will it take before I notice it (a day, several days, etc--good or bad. Also, for anyone who has tried it and not had a good response, how long did it take to get back to "abnormal"--if at all. In the same vein, I would be interested in "positive reactions" anyone may have had to to other of the antihistamines such as Benadryl, etc..

Problem with Clarinex & Allegra is that they add terrifically to my insomnia--which I already know. So over the long run of a week or so this does not seem a great option either. I have things like vicodin that I can fall back on if the reaction is bad but vicodin also magnifies my insomnia. Mostly, I am worried about some type of permanent exacerbation of my rls.

Kinda caught between the the proverbial rock and a hard place right now.

Best wishes,

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I haven't taken any hydroxyzine for years, so I can't tell you about it. I take Zyrtec, which works for me and doesn't bother my RLS, although it is on Dr. B's list of antihistamines that can make RLS worse.
Susan

Johnny2

Post by Johnny2 »

In the hospital I was given a shot benedryl (I was unaware until it was to
late, it was horrible! It took two shots of hydromorphone and an hour and a half to get to a level of comfort, but everyone reacts different.
claritin and sudafed do not seem to have any effect on my symptoms,
those two are on my personal rls friendly list.
Is it nap time yet ?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've had bad experiences with Benadryl, but there are some members who've written that it didn't bother them. My guess is that there isn't much that would cause 100% of us to have the same reaction. So, you could always be someone who can take them.

Per how long, in the past when I took an antihistamine, the effect on my RLS was hours, not days. Maybe 4-6? But, it's been awhile so not sure.

Like Susan, Zyrtec works for me and doesn't do anything to me one way or the other - not sedating or awakening. But, seems that the insomnia effect is common for you, so it might keep you awake, too.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Betty/WV

Re: benedryl

Post by Betty/WV »

Hi: My 2 cents on benedryl. I was having a heart cath. and the nurse started to inject something into my IV. I ask what it was and she said "benedryl", as I'm telling her NO, that it will make my RLS worse, she had no idea what RLS was. And kept injecting it. After the heart cath. I was in the worse torment with RLS that I ever had. And of course you are supposed to lie still for several hours after a heart cath. This torment lasted for a few hours. Thankfully the RLS was in the opposite leg from where they did the cath. but my leg would fly in the air all by itself, never had that happen, before or after that.

Anyway, I emailed Dr. B about this. He said to give everyone, nurses, doctors etc. that are caring for me, the RLS Medical Alert card. And tell them if they give me anything that worsens my RLS, that I will take action against them. But I will never let that happen again, I will get off the table, kick them, whatever is necessary. I never want to experience that again. And I am going to have a knee replacement soon, so I have to do alot of talking to the doctor etc.

So, anyone going into the hospital, or having any type of procedure done. Remember to be agressive as to what they give you.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand