Need anti-nausea med

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Aiken

Need anti-nausea med

Post by Aiken »

I'm on day 8 of a 21-day course of cipro (antibiotic), and I'm as sick as a dog. A really sick dog, that is. A dog that doesn't want to do anything except lie down and groan. A dog that's also trying to ship a product at work this week and can't take any sick days.

Is there anything other than the meds listed in Dr. B's book that is okay with RLS? The ones in the book are either not available in the US, or cost $400 a bottle because they're recent drugs whose target market is chemo patients.

Is there any particular drug, other than those, that causes the *least* problems with RLS? I know the common ones all cross the blood-brain barrier and muck with our dopamine receptors, but I've gotta guess one sucks at least a little less than the rest.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I use domperidon for nausea which I understand doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier, but I don't think it is available in the US.

Haven't time to check, but I think I did see on Dr B's site that it is available from Canada with a docs prescription, which probably isn't soon enough for you anyway.

Sorry you are so sick.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Maybe a benzo? Valium helps me with nausea, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one. Otherwise, Unisom is an antinauseant, and it doesn't bother my RLS too much. It bothers my PLMS a bit, though. Certainly not as bad as Benadryl.
Susan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Yeah, domperidon is the one that I can't get here in the US.

I tried phenergan... baaad idea.

I'll try some of my leftover klonopin next.
Last edited by Aiken on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Something else I thought of: Ginger. You can take it in pills, eat ginger candy, or drink ginger ale. It's often recommended to pregnant women for morning sickness, which is about the most horrendous nausea out there, IMO. I know that's not your issue, but it should work for any kind of nausea.
Susan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Wow, I just can't believe how baaaaad the phenergan was. Parts of my body that never have RLS got it all of a sudden, and the ones that usually have it went off of the chart. All I wanted to do was sleep through the nausea (which, by the way, the phenergan didn't even touch), but I could only get comfortable for 2-3 seconds before I would sit bolt upright and flail around to kill the sensation. Thank god I had hydrocodone on hand to counteract the problem, but geez, waiting for it to work was torture.

No wonder I see people here in deep anxiety about getting anti-nausea meds during/after surgery... can't blame you.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

PS: The klonopin seems to be taking the edge off, so thanks for the tip, Susan.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Glad you are getting some relief. Ginger works well for me. When I went through the klonopin withdrawal, I was vomiting constantly for the first couple weeks. Without the ginger, I don't know what I would have done.

Funny, I've lost my taste for ginger now...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Probably because you now associate it with the being sick and constant vomitting. The brain is weird like that..

Sometimes I will smell a certain food, or taste something that will remind me of IBS, and other stuff.

I don't eat cereal anymore for other reasons (really hurts when you're missing two teeth in the middle of your mouth on each side) but I stopped eating sugar puffs and stuff like that because it kept reminding me of urine... heh

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Ah, indeed, the ginger does help. My parents always gave me ginger ale when I was sick as a kid. Now I know why. Mind you, that's also probably why I don't normally drink the stuff as an adult. :) Still, a can of ginger ale does seem to be having a remarkably quick effect on me.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Aiken, glad something is helping.

I will bear the ginger ale in mind for myself, perhaps avoid the odd dose of medication. :lol:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Do you think it's the Cipro that's making you nauseated?

I took a 10 day treatment last year for a UTI and it didn't make me nauseated. Maybe it, combined with one of your other meds is causing the nausea.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Because I couldn't handle the fizzy feeling in my stomach when I was sick, I used the crystallized ginger. I'd break off a piece and sort of suck on it for awhile.

Ginger Ale I can still drink because I don't associate the drink with the nausea, but the thought of crystallized ginger.....shudder!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Sometimes people just get nausea from stuff, there is no guarantee one way or the other when it comes to putting all these different chemicals in our bodies.

5-HTP is used well as an anti anxiety/depressant supplement, but it easily makes me nauseas to the point where I can't anticipate what even a small dose would. But other people are fine, or only get problems in higher doses.

Antibiotics are especially true. They can be brutal on your system because they indiscriminately kill off good and bad cells. When I first came down with IBS I was hoping it was a parasite or something so my doctor gave me a script for Metronidazol, and told me to not even think about touching alcohol because I would become violently ill. I had some issues with slight nausea with it, and swear it was causing my blood sugar to bottom out once in a while for no reason.

They're just weird like that.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I've gotten horrible nausea from various antibiotics, especially on an empty stomach. I think it's pretty common. Best to take that stuff with food.

I'm glad the ginger is working for you, Aiken.
Susan