Cognitive impairment w/ methadone?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
emmettdigger

Cognitive impairment w/ methadone?

Post by emmettdigger »

Hi Folks,

I've been doing really well on Methadone for about 5 months now. I take 12.5 mg at night. I've been noticing in the past week or so that I've had some problems with my brain - trouble with word finding, saying phrases, or getting things out. Memory problems too. I don't know if this is a result of the methadone but wonder if anyone else has or is experiencing this with methadone or other optiates.

Thanks.

Kristi

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Kristi

I can't help you with regard to the methadone. I use requip and tramadol, also ambien, omeprazole, simvastatin, and brufen as required (brufen is over the counter).

But yes I suffer from all you say,
memory.... I be unsure if a particular incident was this morning or was it yesterday morning?
Or did we have potatoes or french fries with dinner last night ???
Or... did I take my medication or not, or did I just intend to take it and forgot??
Words come out wrongly - its 'nearly' the correct word.
Have to check my cell phone to be sure of the date.

I don't mean that I can't remember for just a moment, I mean that I literally cannot remember. Would be lost without my day diary and post-it stickly notes which I use like confetti. Family tease me cos I am so efficient - however I am efficient cos I get the thing done so I don't forget to do it, if you know what I mean.

Is it the meds or age (I'm a young 60) who knows. I do know that it worries me. Sorry I can't speak from the methadone angle.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Neco

Post by Neco »

I've been taking Methadone for quite a long time now (a year or more I think) and I can't really say I've had problems with impairment.

I'm pretty able to function like a normal person, although I have my normal moments of forgetfulness, but nothing blatant.. For me it is usually only data that I haven't tried to access in a while, but if its something recent I don't tend to blank out.

Is it possible you could be overmedicated? Because with many opiates this kind of thing may show up.. I've had some minor issues back when I used to take large doses of particular opiates beyond what I needed.

Also.. if you are experiencing a side effect like constant fatigue where you just feel more tired in general even though you sleep a good 8 hours, etc.. It could be a result of that.. But I don't think the medication itself, would intrinsically cause this.

tunesmith

Post by tunesmith »

Kristi, my GP has discussed this issue with me in relation to methadone which is why he won't prescribe it for me. My profession requires a high level of mental acuity and he believes methadone would interfere with that.

I've raised this issue on this forum and received the same answers you've received. However, there are other positions on this issue, particularly among methadone patients who've found it to be problematic with cognition. I'd encourage you to talk to your doctor about it and get a professional opinion.

TS

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I have cognitive impairment, also, and I take methadone. But, I can't tell if it's worse than it was BEFORE when I was sleep deprived. It is MUCH less when I am sleeping well than when I am not.
Tunesmith's advice is solid: get it checked out.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

emmett--

Yes, I had that problem when I was taking just methadone. Not only did I find that I would yawn myself half to death during the day, but I had a great deal of trouble with word- and name-finding, which are two things I am normally quite skilled at. It was a combination of upsetting and annoying.

When I switched to using methadone only as an assist and not as the entire treatment, in order to stay more awake at work, my word finding also improved.

I don't think it's specifically methadone that causes the problem. I think opioids in general cause this sort of dysfunction, but because taking methadone daily means you are never really un-dosed, thanks to its super-long half-life, it's much more noticeable than with hydrocodone or oxycodone.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

doety

more

Post by doety »

I think all the tricks we use are incredibly important.
For instance, the little plastic holders where you divide up your meds into day and night, 7 days a week. I use them religiously. It's the only way I can be sure I'm taking the right thing at the right time.
And Post-in notes. And a desk diary.
Also, doing things like after I've made a date for breakfast (etc.), I write it in the diary, along with the person's cell phone number. The night before, one of us will confirm that we'll be at x restaurant at x time and here's my cell in case you need it. Saves lots of anxiety. For a while, I found myself writing "lunch, Mary" in the diary with no time or place. Good grief. In my address book, I try to keep the names of spouses, kids, important things and look at it before I meet them. That way I can act like a fairly normal person.
I'm not doing this yet, but I've seen my former boss keep a yellow pad by his phone. He writes down every single call in his day and what it's about. Not a bad idea at all.
Anybody who has good ideas we all could use -- please pass them along!!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I echo absolutely all the little tricks you mention.
I write everything down. I also 'diary forward', i.e. a little note in my diary, a couple of days early, to remind me of a diary entry/date !!

An example of the memory thing - yesterday I was out for lunch with several friends one of whom I worked with for many years. This friend said
' I always remember Betty saying a very true thing ... blah blah blah...... and have always used it as a guideline.'
Well, hang me but I can't remember what it was she quoted yesterday that I had said that was so helpful. duuhhh....

Betty
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

doety

bet

Post by doety »

That's so funny. Such a shame not to remember your own wisdom.
Although....sometimes I'll hear my daughter quoting me. "Mom's always said....." And I know I've never ever said it. But what fun that she thinks I said something smart. Of course, maybe I said it and can't remember....

Was thinking of more aids:
--We have a basket when you walk in the door -- a place to put keys, wallets, sunglasses. My ADD husband needs it more than I do.
--I've started making my hair appointments six months in advance.
--I also write notes to myself in my calendar/diary about when to order meds so they'll be mailed to me - no panic at the last minute.
--Every single bill we have gets paid online automatically.

I can't tell whether these meds affect my brain. Especially when I don't get enough sleep, I know my defenses are down. Those things I wouldn't usually say -- I'm much closer to saying them now. Being Southern, I was taught to be "nice" above everything. Now, I'm just way too honest.