Trivastal or agomelatine?

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
k8samms

Trivastal or agomelatine?

Post by k8samms »

Anyone here tried either of these two drugs for their RLS? (Both are available in Europe.) If so, what was your experience?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I have never heard of either of these drugs.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

k8samms, what you you hoping to find about these two drugs? Or, rather, what do you want them to do for you?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

k8samms

Post by k8samms »

One is a dopamine agonist (with some noradrenergic effect) and the other is a 5ht2c antagonist (which should also increase dopamine). From what I've read about them and heard from those who have taken them, they have a fairly benign side effect profile. Those who I know that have taken them have tried them for reasons other than RLS but what I'm hoping is that they can treat RLS with less side effects and perhaps less risk.

Neco

Post by Neco »

If it's anything like 5HTP, there probably won't be much benefit, as I did try that for a while and noticed no improvement. Its good for mood stabilization, but that's about it.. Has wicked nausea if you take too much too, although can produce bursts of euphoria as well.

Don't really know much about 5htc2 however, but I'm wondering if they are similar in what they are supposed to accomplish.

k8samms

Post by k8samms »

5htp behaves like an agonist to increase serotonin. Agomelatine is an antagonist for a particular serotonin subtype receptor (among other things) and so works in the opposite way as 5htp. So while 5htp would probably make the condition worse, this might help.

I don't remember if I've typed this yet but I know of one person who has taken this and he said that it helped his RLS. I don't know how bad his RLS is though or whether this helped enough on its own that he didn't need any other medication.

I'm probably just reaching for the stars here but I'm hoping that this would work because it has so few side effects and no withdrawal syndrome. (I'm such a coward.)

bekull

Post by bekull »

We are all reaching for the stars here

Neco

Post by Neco »

Best thing to do is to try it yourself and then let everyone know of your experience.

Its unlikely anyone else is gonna try it anytime soon, as most of the regulars here are on mostly stable medication regimes.

But your research may be of benefit to those who read or pass thru looking for non-pharmaceutical solutions.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

So agomelatine is an antidepressant that works similarly to Stablon? I've heard great things about that drug, as far as treating depression and I've been tempted to try it. It works opposite of SSRIs and yet if as effective or more effective than SSRIs, but doesn't cause fatigue and emotional flattening. Stablon has to be taken twice a day and gets pretty pricy, and for me it would require going off the SSRI I'm taking in order to try it...

I wish the US would get on board with some of these newer antidepressants that are available in Europe. I'm already mail ordering my reboxetine from England, and it would be so much easier if it were available locally. Grrr.
Susan

k8samms

Post by k8samms »

Zach,

I may try them someday. It takes me a while to get up the courage though. I met with my doctor to treat RLS for the first time today. He wants me to take neurontin and get some blood tests. I was surprised. I expected him to say Mirapex and blood tests. I did mention those other drugs and he's going to do some research on them. Since he also has RLS he is interested in other treatments.

K

k8samms

Post by k8samms »

SquirmingSusan,

Agomelatine and Trivastal are both much different than Stablon/tianeptine although Trivastal is made by the same company (the French company Servier) as Stablon. For some reason (probably political and/or monetary) we don't get approval of French drugs in this country. Stablon is a medication that I am interested in trying as well though I've heard that it makes some people quite anxious - even though it's touted as being good for anxiety. I was looking online earlier to see if there was any info on Stablon and RLS but couldn't find any. But that doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't be good for RLS. Since it works opposite to SSRIs, it may be helpful.

K

Neco

Post by Neco »

Hopefully having a doctor that also has RLS is gonna help you out in finding the treatment you need, as I would think they would be a little more open to trying unpopular or unresearched methods.

k8samms

Post by k8samms »

I hope so. Guess I'll find out soon enough.