Augmentation

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Nicky

Augmentation

Post by Nicky »

I've been trying to get my head around augmentation. I believe it's true that one can get a massive 'downer' after taking some recreational drugs such as ecstacy (after a surge in feel good chemicals such as seratonin) is that because the brain has been forced by the drug to use up it's seratonin supplies, perhaps leading to depression (a permanent lack of seratonin). Is this what happens when we augment on DAs? Is the brain (& spine) forced into producing the dopermine (which is already lower than normal in our systems) & eventually leads to it's general depletion making RLS symptoms worse, is this what is happening with augmentation? Any thoughts.
Nicky

Neco

Post by Neco »

That's not the way augmentation works.

Augmentation in the simplest terms, is a reaction resulting from hyper-sensitivity to a dopamine agonist medications.

Instead of providing relief, something in the body changes and it instead begins to antagonize your system instead.

If it were caused by a sudden depletion of dopamine, that would not explain why some people (like me) will augment from the first dose of certain medications, within minutes. There is no way your body could burn through dopamine that fast, and without serious side effects.

Also if it were the case, chronic augmentation (in people who can't get off their meds because they or their doctor are unaware, or the doctor is unwilling to recognize augmentation) would be flooding emergency rooms across the country in droves, with Xtacy-like overdose symptoms, or potentially serotinin syndrome.

Nicky

Post by Nicky »

Thanks Zach, brilliant reply, as ever.
Nicky

gulliver

Follow up on Augmentation

Post by gulliver »

FYI re augmentation. Had to have my daughter take me to the ER after not getting a minute's sleep for 48 hours. ER doc said to go from 4 to one requip as my internist had recommended. In follow up appointment with my internist he asked if I had heard of the Restless Legs Syndrome Foundation! I said yes and they recommended that I stop requip completely. At that point he said don't take any more requip! I haven't had any since and am finally sleeping after my internist revised my medication. What a good reputation the RLS Foundation has!

I was also lucky enough to get an appointment at the Johns Hopkins Sleep Disorders center for Nov. They have a special unit for RLS. At first they said
the earliest appointment I could get would be February, but then there was a cancellation for November which they gave to me.

Will keep you posted on the Hopkins apppointment. But, most importantly, thank all of you for your interest and excellent advice.

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I went to Johns Hopkins in July to see Dr. Earley. He is the head of their RLS unit. What are you going for? To get medication? Do you expect them to follow up with your doctor in your home town?

I would be interested in knowing how your appointment goes.

Dale

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Zach,

I only took a veyr low dosage of Mirapex for five days and my RLS is worse. I got off it a few days ago, but am still suffering from the advanced symptoms.

Dale

Neco

Post by Neco »

When I augmented from my first dose of Mirapex, it lasted about 24 hours.

And you had been on it a little longer, so I could see a longer duration.. Potentially this is also the "increased RLS when quitting DA medication" affect, although after only 5 days, that is a scary thought as it could last up to 2 weeks depending...