Mirapex for Depression

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Sleuth

Mirapex for Depression

Post by Sleuth »

I just came from seeing a new psychiatrist. He wants me to take 0.125 mg. of Mirapex for one week and then increase it by one pill each week for four weeks until I am taking 0.125 mg four times a day.

He said that Mirapex is often used for depression.

I told him that was a big jump in the dose in such a short period of time. Am I right? From what I've read here, it does seem so.

He was reading the dosing recommendations from his computer. He said this has been successful for depression with many of his patients. When I pressed him about RLS patients, he fumbled around. I didn't go to him for RLS treatments, but I sure as heck don't want to take an RLS drug for depression if he thinks he's going to kill two birds with one stone.

It seems that these psychiatrists have this "need" to fiddle around with RLS, even when I tell them I just come to them for depression.

I'm so lost here. I don't know what to do.

Thanks,

Dale

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I can't say I've heard it's used for depression, but I certainly don't read research journals about depression, either.

One a week for four weeks isn't too much, in my opinion based on what I've read. .125 is a small amount. If you increase it the first time and it seems too much, then try half of one.

I think that feeling lost is part of this. You just have to try something. If it works, you have a solution. if it doesn't, you know one thing not to try again or to try in a different way. There just isn't a one size fits all that always works.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I emailed Dr. B about this and this was his response.

He said the use of Mirapex for depression is very rare. He added: As this drug may have adverse effects on RLS (such as augmentation), one should be careful using this drug for conditions other than RLS.

This is what makes me nervous. I know that this psychiatrist knows next to nothing about RLS and thinks he's doing me a favor by killing two birds with one stone by prescribing Mirapex. If my RLS gets worse from it, he will not know what to do. That is what frightens me.

I know I have to start somewhere, but I don't want to be a test case for someone who knows nothing about augmentation or other RLS issues.

Dale

Neco

Post by Neco »

Its a tough call.

If you've never tried mirapex before it may be worth a shot. But there is always the risk of augmentation, and to be in that position without an agreement to help you stop the medication and deal with the augmentation by prescribing opiates.. I would be hard pressed to be anybodies test case, myself.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If I were in this situation, I'd want to have more information. I'd want to know what would happen if this didn't work, if this man would be willing to work with an RLS doctor, what his long term treatment was, if he knew what to do in case this drug caused problems, etc.

If I were then comfortable that he had a plan, that he knew what to do in case this didn't work, that he understood the risks and would and could help me? Then I'd move forward.

But, that's me....
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Thanks to both of you. I agree with everything you've said.

I didn't go to him for RLS. I went to him for depression. This is the second psychiatrist I've seen who felt they have to treat the RLS when they don't know what they're doing. I keep telling them I only want them to deal with the depression, but they refuse to listen to me. Perhaps because they know the RLS is a major cause of my depression.

This last doctor was $900 for a consultation. Yup, you read it right. :( He is supposed to be one of the best psychiatrists in NYC. I am not impressed and even more depressed about the money spent.

Dale