lexapro and restless legs syndrome...

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Helen Failor

lexapro and restless legs syndrome...

Post by Helen Failor »

Hello. I am interested in finding out if anyone who is taking the antidepressant, Lexapro, has had any improvement or worsening of symptoms in their rls or periodic limb movement since starting the lexipro. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

techlady

Lexapro and RLS

Post by techlady »

YES!!! I'm on Lexapro and experiencing RLS symptoms. A couple of years ago I experienced RLS on Prozac and it stopped when I discontinued the Prozac. Now it's time to talk to the doc. I wonder if all SSRIs make one susceptible, a real problem since they work especially well on depression for me. It would be awful to have to choose between depression and RLS! Has anyone else had the same experience?

jumpyowl

Better late than never!

Post by jumpyowl »

Sorry ladies to reply so late! I hope you find this post.

BAD NEWS: It is known that tricyclic and serotonin re-uptake blocking antidepressants often intensify the symptoms of RLS. GOOD NEWS: apparently there is a dopamine-active antidepressant, Bupropion (Wellbutrin SR) that appears to be a useful alternative antidepressant. In a small study comprised of five patients with PLMS this drug caused a reduction in leg movements on sustained release bupropion.

So perhaps you do not have to choose between depression and RLS. It is certainly worth a try! :)
Jumpy Owl

tnt4days

Lexapro

Post by tnt4days »

:roll: Yes, I just started taking Lexapro and now I have the RLS worse than before. I was taking Celexa, had no problems with it.

jumpyowl

Now, let me see...

Post by jumpyowl »

One has a problem that does not let one sleep (chronic pain, sleep apnea, grief, family problems, taking steroids, RLS, what have you). Time goes on and one is beginning to show symptoms of depression. Doctors are eager to prescribe an antidepressant as they are in vogue. However, often the antidepressant has a side effect that results in the same (!) or similar problem that initially caused the depression. :(

I think this is what the ancient Romans called 'circulus viciosus' - vicious circle. 8)

The other bad but often observed event is that often the patient is not taken off the drug with the bad side effect. The solution is usually to prescribe another drug in addition to the previous one. :shock:

The beneficial result, however, is that the patient will purchase more and more drugs enabling the drug companies to make ends meet. :wink:

Tnt4days, and others - I hope you make the right conclusion and get off the antidepressant that is contributing to your problem. You may have to get vocal about it... :oops:

DISCLAIMER: my example does not include the justified use of antidepressants. Countless people have benefited from the judicious use of such medications.

However, they are not a panacea. And when the depression is secondary to some other problem, it is only reasonable to solve or cure the other problem than masking its secondary effects. :roll:
Jumpy Owl

SleepyBeans

Post by SleepyBeans »

Hi to tnt4days....

I took Celexa and had PLMS and RLS for years. Don't know whether to blame the SSRI or genetics (my Mom had RLS, and sleep apnea, and we think PLMS too).
Did find out that Celexa and Mirapex together were an RLS nightmare.
Now taking Lexapro, and Klonopin, and RLS is infrequent and/or mild enough to be bearable.
Don't see any appreciable difference between Celexa and Lexapro for either my depression or for RLS. Changed to Lexapro only because my health insurer took Celexa off their formulary. Shame.

- SleepyBeans

Tammy463

Lexapro

Post by Tammy463 »

I have also been on Lexapro for the past 2 years or so. My RLS symptoms have progressively gotten worse over the years. It not only effects my legs but other parts of my body as well. I was recently put on Neurontin after trying a Klonipin and Siment that did not have any effect and I am starting to notice that I am feeling more rested in the mornings. I am currently on on 300mg of the Neurontin. It would be worth it to me to see about changing the Lexapro to see if Wellbutrin would both help with the RLS symptoms and take care of the depression symptoms. I have to say that this site has been very helpful for suggestions. Thanks to everyone. :) [/quote]
Tammy

Bobbyd

lexapro and RLS

Post by Bobbyd »

Lexapro definitely increases RLS symptoms and more so than Prozac.
Nerontin (2,400mg) helps greatly before bedtime but it still results in me waking up a few times with symptoms that are at least tolerable. It's worth the trade off for me since lexapro is proving to be a very helpful med for a variety of reasons. I guess all drugs have some side effects--hard to find a perfect balance.

Nan

lexapro

Post by Nan »

Just chiming in, my experience with Lexapro was pretty awful. It made my RLS much, much , much....worse! I didn't immediatly make the connection, but when I did and stopped the Lexapro, the RLS settled down to a much lower level.

Got Jitters

Lexapro and RLS connection?

Post by Got Jitters »

I am a 34 year old women that has been dealing with jittery legs and feelings of pressure in my chest and arms for approximately 10 years. My grandfather also had this. I have not been diagnosed and am just now realizing that this is not my imagination. My husband thinks I'm crazy. I was on Prozac ten years ago and have been through Paxil, Celexa and now Lexapro. The jittery feelings began the same time I was on Prozac, but my prescribing doctor did not seem to think there was a link. I am really bothered by the fact that I can't sit long in car rids or on airplanes and it keeps me up at night. What is the next best step for a formal diagnosis?

cindyc

RLS Lexapro and Mirapex

Post by cindyc »

This is my first time to the discussion board and it has been very enlightening. I have been taking mirapex for a year or so and find that I have had to increase dose once already and feel it is time again for another increase. Then I read here about symptoms intensifying with Lexapro. I was put on Lexapro a few months ago and it seems to take the mirapex longer to relieve my symtoms. Unfortuntely I have not been good at taking my meds the same time each night. And if I go somewhere at night I forget to take some with me. I have decided to put a few of my meds in my purse so that I can take them before I get home at night if I am out late. That certainly would have helped last night. It took about 1 1/2 hours for the mirapex to work.

Thanks for all the imput. It is a great help.

Mark

RLS

Post by Mark »

Some people find vitamin E a useful treatment for RLS. This treatment is recommended by some doctors conversant with vitamin therapies. It can be used in conjunction with other treatments, but sometimes works well by itself. The Shute Institute in London, Ontario has researched and written papers on the use of vitamin E in this and other medical complaints. Vitamin E should be used cautiously in patients with hypertension - it is often best to start with say 100 i.u. nightly and build up gradually to about 400 or 500 i.u.

Mark

RLS

Post by Mark »

Some people find vitamin E a useful treatment for RLS. This treatment is recommended by some doctors conversant with vitamin therapies. It can be used in conjunction with other treatments, but sometimes works well by itself. The Shute Institute in London, Ontario has researched and written papers on the use of vitamin E in this and other medical complaints. Vitamin E should be used cautiously in patients with hypertension - it is often best to start with say 100 i.u. nightly and build up gradually to about 400 or 500 i.u.