Long term Opiate use....

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
runkrun

Long term Opiate use....

Post by runkrun »

Does anyone else in this forum get concerned about long term Opiate use?I'm on Oxycodone 15 mg every 4-6 hrs. Even though I've been to hell and back trying to find the right drug combo to relieve symptoms, I still get nervous regarding long term use. I'm in my 50's and can't imagine taking this for th rest fo my life! I guess it's better than the alternative, suicidal thoughts when my RLS is out of control for months on end. Just thought I'd vent my feelings, and needed some feedback.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I don't get too concerned about it anymore. I don't like the hassle of picking up the prescription every month, but it's better than the alternative of out of control RLS.
Susan

Neco

Post by Neco »

I'm sure many of us here feel that opiates have saved our lives.. Although in my case Methadone in particular probably saved my life from extremely self destructive behavior.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes, I get fed up taking meds all the time, and I've just started another one.......

However..... the thought of what I'd be like without them does not bear thinking about. And I really mean that.

The alternative of being without meds, in particular my rls meds, is not even a consideration.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

runrun, it's one of the things I want to ask my GP about tomorrow. I feel like I should lower my dose, and raise it only when I've had a few bad nights, and keep a bit of control on it that way. But I can't do that because I get the drug in 12mg pills, which is the highest dose I need, and I can't break them because they're sustained release.

It bothers me to think of what I'll be like if I ever run out. Not only will I have suicidal RLS, I will have opiod withdrawal on top of that. I would have to keep doing deep squats while puking, geez.

emmettdigger

Post by emmettdigger »

I definitely worry about long term methadone use - I've been on it for 1 year. Unfortunately, research for RLS isn't at the top of anyone's list and there aren't a lot of alternatives to opiates. I hope there will be something in the future but honestly, I anticipate being on methadone for a long time.

I never thought my RLS would be relieved but thanks to methadone, I hardly ever have symptoms anymore...

kickyknees

Post by kickyknees »

I worry more about running out of meds than long-term addictions, although augmentation is on my short list. :evil:

Beware Nerve Blocks! Given at rotator cuff surgery brought on WED/RLS. Since then have had TJR in each shoulder and one knee under General Anesthetic.
1mg ropinirole 4x/day
7.5mg hydrocodone 4x/day

kickyknees

Post by kickyknees »

"running out of meds":
meaning replacing doctor if ever needed, or natural disaster.

Beware Nerve Blocks! Given at rotator cuff surgery brought on WED/RLS. Since then have had TJR in each shoulder and one knee under General Anesthetic.
1mg ropinirole 4x/day
7.5mg hydrocodone 4x/day

Neco

Post by Neco »

Both, in my book.

I already went through the replacing doctor thing.. Not by choice, still a little unsure how the new one will pan out. But no indication of problems - yet.

runkrun

Post by runkrun »

kickyknees, Yes running out of meds can be a problem if your physician has an emergency, is on vacation, etc. However, I think most of us keep a "stash" just in case. Also, as opiate users, if were taking them properly we should'nt run out. Zach is right about replacing a doctor. If your physician is not following the Mayo Algo., then find one who does, and willing to write for your opiates monthly.

kickyknees

Post by kickyknees »

After his negativity toward the Mayo Alg. and continued opioid treatment in conjunction with my ropinirole, I was curious what my PCP would do when I needed refill on hydrocodone--but he wrote me another script yesterday for 30 days. Also have my first neuro appt Thursday due to a cancellation, so if I don't like the outcome of him, I'll wait for the other guy in august :( and keep my fingers crossed my PCP will continue prescribing 30-day bottles.

1mg ropinirole 4x/day
7.5mg hydrocodone 4x/day

Neco

Post by Neco »

Just make sure you make it last as long as possible.