Sinus problems

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
bekull

Sinus problems

Post by bekull »

I am suffering with severe sinus headaches (air conditioning = pain). I really do not know what OTC med to take for sinus problems since some of the meds can make RLS worse. Any suggestions?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Have you spoken with a local pharmacist.

An email to Dr B may provide a suggestion. Sometimes he replies within a few hours.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

bekull

Post by bekull »

Thanks for the advice PB. I am very wary of meds that might make my RLS worse. Three years ago I was bitten by a bee in the face and had a bad allergic reaction. In my ignorance I took benadryl and my two or three times a week rls went to 24/7 and has never let up. My Dr. who treats my RLS with oxycodone says sudafed is o.k. I just wanted to get some feedback from here because so many of you have "been there done that."

Thanks again

bekull

Post by bekull »

Have to clarify something....my Dr. said sudafed non-drowsey is o.k.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Benadryl... aaaghhh....

When I have for instance, cold symptoms, I just don't take anything for fear of upsetting my rls, which is already 24/7. But the pain of a sinus headache is very severe and you'd need something for relief.

I will bear in mind the Sudafed non-drowsy for the future.

Sorry I can't be of any positive help but hopefully someone will be along soon who is more familiar with the pharm stuff.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Some kind of pseudoephedrine with guiafenesin (expectorant to thin the mucus) should help without aggravating your RLS. You can also try using a neti pot or an irrigation syringe. It's kind of gross to rinse out the sinuses, but it can do wonders.
Susan

bekull

Post by bekull »

I got sudafed non-drowsey sinus and after one dose had to take an extra percoset to get to sleep. Today at work I have taken 1/2 percoset at 8:00am and another at noon. It is now 2:30 and I'm squirming. Oh well, I won't do that again. Susan, I got a neti pot yesterday and am going to use it as a prophylactic and hopefully avoid this problem in the future.

Thanks for your help!

Neco

Post by Neco »

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus-pa ... /neti-pots

some info on neti pots and how to use them

bekull

Post by bekull »

Good article - thanks