Mirapex

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
jrowley

Mirapex

Post by jrowley »

I started .25mg of mirapex about three weeks ago and now I feel like things have gotten worse is this normal? I take it before I got to bed and in about 15mins it knocks me out, I sleep about 2-3 hours then I wake up. I go to the bathroom and climb back in bed and the rest of the night my jerks wake me up and I do nothing but toss and turn. Its like it only works for about 3 hours then when it quits the jerks are ten times worse. Before taking the med my jerks never woke me totally just woke the brain but now I jerk myself awake. It's driving me nuts. I wonder if I should call my doc on it.
Jan :roll: Can't wait to sleep!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If it were me, I'd call immediately. This could be rebound - where the symptoms are worse when the meds wear off. It isn't that common with Mirapex, but it does happen. If it is, in my opinion, you need to switch to a different med. Rebound that happens within a few weeks of starting is not a good signm IMHO. On the other hand, it just could be that you are not taking enough of a dose to begin with. Your doc will (read: should) know and monitor the situation carefully. If you increase your dose it goes away, so far so good. But if you have to continue increasing it to stop the effects of it, I think switching it important. What concerns me is that this is a different experience than you had before, which makes me think the med is causing it.

My experience was that Mirapex caused augmentation (earlier in the day and more frequent) within two weeks of taking it. The doc just had me increase the dose: take more and take it earlier. In the end, I had to take it all day long to control it and then it stopped controlling it at all. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Ann

Lauren

Post by Lauren »

I recommend calling your doctor as well. When I started on the Mirapex the .25mg was not helping at all. Once I went up to .50mg it was like a miracle! See if your doctor is willing to let you increase the dose. If it still happens, you'll probably have to try a different medication.

Good luck. It stinks while you trying to figure out what works, but once you do, it will all be worth it!

Hang in there.

Lauren

Lauren

Post by Lauren »

I recommend calling your doctor as well. When I started on the Mirapex the .25mg was not helping at all. Once I went up to .50mg it was like a miracle! See if your doctor is willing to let you increase the dose. If it still happens, you'll probably have to try a different medication.

Good luck. It stinks while you trying to figure out what works, but once you do, it will all be worth it!

Hang in there.

Lauren

jrowley

Called My Doc

Post by jrowley »

Well I called my doc and he told me to quit taking the mirapex and put me on .5mg of kloupin (sp). Last night I slept like a baby. The only thing my husband said I talked in my sleep a couple of times has anyone had this happen?
Jan :roll: Can't wait to sleep!

marshman

Mirapex

Post by marshman »

I have been dealing with RLS for over ten years. I have been on at least five different medications since being diagnosed about 5 years ago, and have been on Mirapex for the past year or two. A few months ago, my doctor doubled the strength of my dosage because I began having problems with my legs jerking in the mid afternoon at work. The extra
.25 mg has helped alleviate that problem. Sometimes I still have the jerking sensation even after taking the Mirapex but the violent jerking of
my legs and, occasionally my arms, has been kept in check under the Mirapex. My wife is pleased with the results. As someone else mentioned, about 15-30 minutes after taking it, I'm pretty well asleep which, to me, is an added benefit.