My Dr. vs Dr. B

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
rlsfirefly

Post by rlsfirefly »

Thanks, Beth. That is the point I was trying to make; it was not meant as a criticism of anyone. RLS is still such an unknown to most people and doctors that it's hard to find help. Not all of us have access to Dr. B or other doctors who truly want to help.

I appreciate your thoughts and response on this.
Firefly

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Anyone with email has access to Dr. B. He answers emails, usually within a couple hours if he's not on vacation, for anyone with questions about RLS, whether they are his patients for not. And he does do a lot of training around the world, but it's true that there are many doctors out there who already know everything about everything, and just don't want to be bothered with learning about how to treat this disorder. And there are a few other doctors around the US and Canada who are similarly knowledgeable. But I don't know of any of them who answer emails from non-patients.

Whatever. His expertise is out there and available to anyone who wants it, whether they can fly to LA and see him or not. And hopefully the medical community is making progress in this area, and we'll be seeing more and more knowledgeable doctors all the time. Progress seems way slow sometimes, though.
Susan

badnights

Post by badnights »

Yes, that's something I should never take for granted, the fact that Dr B answers emails, always patient and caring, even when answering the same question from dozens of different people. He knows he will never see most of the people he responds to. He's so remarkable, and I am in awe that his heart understands our need, that he gives so much of his time to help people he will likely never meet. I am sure there are not many doctors on earth like him, and none of the others are into RLS!

In case you don't know, his website (the one he maintains for the southern California RLSF support group) is at www.rlshelp.org. His email address is posted there, and he also posts a lot of the emails he receives and the answers he gives people, so you can see what other people have asked.

rlsfirefly

Post by rlsfirefly »

Thanks, you have both been very helpful, especially with the site where I can email him. It's good to know he can be reached even if I can't meet him in person.
Firefly