Diphenhydramine/antihistamine

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
tcd

Diphenhydramine/antihistamine

Post by tcd »

I have started taking Tylenol PM which has in it a sleep aid called Diphenhydramine HCI 25 mg two caplets. It helps me sleep during the night. Years ago I believe I heard that this drug came increase the RLS night time symtoms. Is this true??

badnights

Post by badnights »

yes, it increases RLS symptoms in most people shortly after they take it (not just at night). Its trade name is Benadryl. It's one of the first-generation antihistamines, the ones that cross the blood-brain barrier, and although they make "normal" people drowsy, they send RLS into overdrive in most - but not all - people. Sometimes, if your RLS is mild, you might succumb to the sleepy effect before it gets your RLS going and not wake up if you're lucky (or if your RLS is mild enough).

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yeah, one of those weird things - the majority of us go nuts with it. But some people? Like my mom? No problem. Me? I'd rather eat ground glass.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I never take Benedryl or the like but my CP prescribed me an antihistimine to take will my Lunesta to boost the Lunesta. I was very reluctant to take it, but did, and I appear to gain a couple of hours sleep without any adverse rls. My rls is not mild and it is generally under well medicated control for the most part.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

rudedoodle

Post by rudedoodle »

I would avoid.
One Nytol (UK brand of same drug) and I'm GUARNTEED a bout of my maximum RLS symptoms.
If you take it alongside cocodamol it will knock you out quick enough, but not only is it a race against the symtoms, but I also suspect when I do this it's not safe.
Chemist would most likely not sell the two products together for example.