Mirapex and nausea

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
mellym

Mirapex and nausea

Post by mellym »

I have been taking Mirapex (.25 mg) for about 3 weeks and it has been working great for my RLS. However, after 3 weeks, I am beginning to experience some nausea throughout the day, but especially at night about 2 hours after taking it. I had the same thing happen with Requip. It is not too severe but I surely don't feel great and I don't have much of an appetite. Why is it taking 3 weeks before I develop this symptom? I sure don't want to switch meds again since the Mirapex is really helping my RLS but I also don't want to feel sick all of the time either. :?

Any words of wisdom out there?

badnights

Post by badnights »

I'm really sorry this is happening to you. I don't have any words of wisdom, but hopefully someone else will. I know nausea is a very common side effect of Mirapex. It may not be unusual that it takes 3 weeks to develop, because our bodies adjust gradually to things. It also might go away in another 3 weeks. It might be worth trying to stick it out that long. My side effects of drugs (dry mouth, itchy skin) faded with time, but over months, not weeks.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Have you tried taking the medication with food?

Or perhaps splitting the dose(halving the pill) and taking them about an hour apart.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ninjabill

Post by ninjabill »

When I took Mirapex they told me to take it with some food.

sleepdancer

Nausea with Mirapex

Post by sleepdancer »

I had the nausea too. Not sure if it subsided or if I got used to being miserable. It wasn't till I was off the med that I realized how miserable I'd been, and had just accepted it as my new norm. However, I was on a much higher dose. Just from lots of reading about Mirapex it seems some with nausea found it to be temporary. If the med is working for you and the nausea is tolerable, I wouldn't be quick to give up on it. Only you know which is worse - the nausea or the RLS. Did you do things like have iron studies, trying supplements - you know, those kinds of things, before going to meds? I would suggest if you go off the Mirapex from any higher of a dose to do it gradually. Best wishes.

Scarlett46

Post by Scarlett46 »

Requip gives me that dizzy/nauseous feeling about an hour after taking it. And taking it with food didn't seem to make a difference, either. Luckily, I only have to take it at night before going to bed, so I just make sure I lie down right afterwards. If I'm lying down, the dizziness doesn't come.

However, another side effect that I find very odd, but really can only attribute to the Requip is that it tightens my nasal passages. Whether or not I have a cold... all times of the year... One nostril or the other (or sometimes both) feel "stuffed up" for several hours after taking the Requip.
"After all... Tomorrow is another day!"

mellym

Post by mellym »

Good suggestions- especially halfing the dose and taking the other half an hour later. The nausea is not intolerable at this point so I'm going to stick it out....especially since there is a chance this side effect may subside over time. I have been taking it about 9:30 pm every night which is only a few hours after I eat, so I don't think I'm taking it on an empty stomach. It is so effective right now that there is no way I'm going to give it up at this point! Thanks for your input!

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Scarlett, I got the sinus stuffiness as well from the Requip. I think that's a common side effect.
Susan