Nortriptyline........a scary decision...

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
moonlight

Nortriptyline........a scary decision...

Post by moonlight »

I am paranoid about taking medication for anything, anyhow at the moment have sciatica down my left leg and its excruciating, rls is like electric shocks up my legs staying still is very hard (acupuncture is helping , not been for a while) and my mood is horribly low has been since christmas day.

Enough's enough no pain meds are helping so have agreed to take nortriptyline for the pain and if I react ok and do not go manic due to being bipolar increase the dose to be effective for my mood.
Am scared but need to try this ...but will it make my rls worse?? does anyone know.
This is a really big step for me to try
moonlight

I don't even want to think of the extremely long list of potential side effects
sleep is not only a dream

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Moonlight, Sorry things are so bad for you at present.

As we know, not all medications affect everyone in the same way.

For instance, when my GP wanted to prescribe an anti depressant for low mood I was not happy about how it might affect my rls. Who wouldn't have a low mood with symptoms 24/7 which take a bucketload of meds to calm them and with very little sleep. I asked for Wellbrutin which is reckoned to be rls friendly but it is not available here in the UK. Actually it is, but not for depression!!

Also, he had suggested that I take amnitryptiline (an AD) as a sleep aid but again I wouldn't take it as it is said to be one of the worst ADs for rls symptoms.

Eventually I took Citalopram (an AD), although it does not help with sleep. Also I only take it at a very low dose as it can interact with tramadol which I take for rls.

That was in May 2010 and I believe there has been no side affect from the AD with regard to my rls symptoms. I cannot be 100% certain as my rls symptoms are quite severe anyway but certainly the benefit gained has been worthwhile.

What I am trying to say is that not every so called 'negative' medication will be negative. Unfortunately no one knows until they have tried it, which is a bit of a bummer....
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Hi Polar Bear...I understand what you mean ....it can be different for each person, amitryptiline is a no no for me as I reacted badly to it mentally.
I went ahead last night and tried the nortryptiline and thru the night the rls went into overdrive and I couldn't bear anything touching me this morning my anxiety is thru the roof but am scared to take my anxiety meds on top so will persevere thru today.

It may have just been coincidence or cos it's in my mind of what may happen
I don't know , am going to continue for two weeks and see what happens unless things get too bad

But I really don't want another night like last night

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh, so sorry to hear you had a bad first night. And the anxiety? Ooooo, I hate that.

Hope tonight is better.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

I had another night like the first, 4am up rls in overdrive and hating anything touching me ...I got back to sleep after a bit and woke at 9am .But all day rls has come and gone,have a horrible tiredness , no energy and a weird headache . I hope this is just cos i've never had these meds before....but it is helping the pain a bit and I did'nt have the anxiety.

I live in hope

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Hi well the nortriityline did not last long it deffo put the rls into mega crazy mode and made my tinnitus louder aaarrggh it's horrible.