Starting Klonopin

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Betty/WV - have you tried walking and reading.... I do it regularly
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Polar Bear: No, I never tried walking and reading, sounds very difficult. I probably would fall and break my neck.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

it doesn't work well for me, though I have done it. I find that sometimes I have stand and rock back and forth while reading. The problem is usually that I'm tired when I'm doing this and something about reading makes me want to sit and relax.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I do the rocking too but it isn't really enough.

Walking and reading is ok if you have a clear path, can walk a circle.

I've also leaned against the wall, reading, and 'treading water' but that one isn't much good. Too difficult to read.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Andreadrea

Post by Andreadrea »

Any kind of activity helps when I'm restless. I'm finding that the Klonopin works when things are flaring up, even in micro-doses. I think it just makes me so sleepy I can't help but sleep. I realize it isn't in the algorithm, but my neurologist is a stubborn, stubborn man who was dismissive of the items I brought him. I had the option of taking Vicodin instead, but I'm worried about the acetaminophen in it. At this point, as long as I take my iron regularly, I have symptoms needing medication for a few days a month, and the Klonopin works well enough. In the future if things get worse, I'll push for opiates and/or find a new doctor.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Andreadrea: Norco is the same as vicodin, except it is lower in the (can't spell it) tylenol. My sleep doctor gave me the norco.
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Andreadrea

Post by Andreadrea »

I have some Norco left over from my gallbladder surgery. I think I'll try it again when the symptoms get bad again. The only problem is that it decreased my respirations too much when I was in the hospital, so I may try a half or a quarter pill.

doety

dividing pills

Post by doety »

Doctors always seem to prescribe too much, as far as I'm concerned. What I'm doing now (has worked for a week) is reducing Methadone dosage from 20 to 15 mg. and taking one-quarter of a Mirapex. I'll do that 'til it stops working.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I think the problem is that doctors prescribe the average. Some of us need more, some less. My best friend always need less, much less. Her brother needs the amount for an elephant. Weird.

RLS patients really need to listen to their own bodies, start small, and trust themselves to make the right choices. I think this is where doctors have a hard time - trusting us to do what's best. They know they are on the hook if there becomes an issue in any way.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

doety

yes

Post by doety »

I think you're totally right.
It's so hard for us (well,make that me) to only listen to myself. I know as much or more than almost any doctor I can find. So far, I haven't found one who had more information than I did. So, why bother.
I know they hate anecdotal evidence, but that's all we have. It's why I love this board, even though I don't participate regularly. (You know - it's hard to sit down!)
I resolved once again, after this last visit to the young neurologist, to stop going from one to the other. If my primary doc will prescribe what I need, I don't need to. I'm so tired of being a guinea pig for someone else, might as well be my own.
Was talking to my therapist about this today -- the doctor before the one I just saw said to me: "You've reached the end of the line on meds." First it scared me, then it finally made me mad. He didn't know crap. And he had no business telling me something like that. I mean -- what are my options. Am I supposed to accept what he says and jump off a bridge?
Right now, since we don't have that magic pill, it seems that most of us are mixing various drugs we've studied up on and have listened to others. We try some on ourselves and are happy if they work for a while.
And we'll say to ourselves: It's not cancer. It's not a heart attack. It's RLS and a supreme pain in the butt. But I'll try to live the fullest life I can and not let it stop me.

badnights

Post by badnights »

too true, doety. Well said.

sleepdancer

When docs don't help

Post by sleepdancer »

I've been in the frustrating position to need help but not get it, and it scares me to think of those who for whatever reason cannot research for themselves or find their way to an online support group to glean from the experiences of others. My experiment with using a TENS Unit for my RLS/PLMD so I can get some sleep has been a self directed endeavor, and I'm proud of myself for trusting my instincts enough to try this.

RLS is not the only area where patients are often not given the help they need. I have obstructive sleep apnea, and if not for a CPAP support forum I'd have never been successful at using a CPAP.

Coming here I realize how little I know about the lengths some must go to for relief of RLS. I chose to try the TENS Unit to help me get some sleep because I didn't want to go to narcotics - which would have been my next step. I already struggle with daytime sleepiness and didn't want to become totally incapicitated again. I had no idea that methadone was an option for treatment. Been at this since the mid 1990's and still have so much to learn.

doety

hello

Post by doety »

Hi Sleep Dancer, don't think I've seen you here before. My story is in several places, but just quickly: Several years ago I took a sleep test and the result was that I had moderate RLS and moderate sleep apnea. I was so surprised, thinking it was all RLS. So, I got the CPAP, didn't like it, but accepted that I needed it.
About then I was using Mirapex -- a miracle for two years until it didn't work any more. I used Methadone to get off the Mirapex. It's another solution for some people and my doctor said he wanted me to try it. What he didn't tell me was that for some people, Methadone causes something called "Central Apnea." Then, besides the CPAP, you have to hook up to a line of oxygen. This is SUCH a pain. I had worked up to 20 mg. of Methadone. Well, I don't want to have Central Apnea, I feel so trapped. So I'm cutting back on Methadone (to 15 mg) and taking a tiny bit of the .125 Mirapex pill. Right now, that combo is working -- but we all know that means little.

I want more freedom, don't want to be hooked on Methadone and be unable to travel without this oxygen concentrator, which is big and heavy. I feel backed in a corner. So it's up to me to see if I can do something else. Taking the Mirapex scares me a little, but I'm hoping that taking a tiny bit will be okay.

I wish you well on your journey of discovery and experimenting.

doety

new

Post by doety »

Here's a new and welcome change. I'd like to think it will continue.
For several nights, I've cut back the Methadone to 15 mg. and added 1/4 a tablet of .125 Mirapex. Now when I get up in the morning I don't have a horrible bout of RLS.
What's up?
Is it the Mirapex I've added or the Methadone I've cut back on?

Continuing my experiment on myself....

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Gosh, you'd almost think you augmented on methadon, but that is not possible I guess.
With me it's the other way round: when I take 1 Requip with my OxyC I do wake up with RLS bad enough that I have to get out of bed straight away.
Strange, isn't it?

Corrie