How do I quit Smoking

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
Mountain Woman

How do I quit Smoking

Post by Mountain Woman »

I really have to quit smoking, we are expecting our first grand child, and I feel like I have leprosy or something when I am around people. I am 61, and like smoking, which I have done for 40yrs. I am scared to death to try anything that will start the RLS again. I have it under control right now with mirapex, hydrocodone, xanax and halcion. I also take the other hrt's and cholesteral meds, and vitamins. I have had some depression for the last couple of years, and was wondering about Wellbrutrin, but just afraid to rock the boat.
Any suggestions would be very welcomed.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I wish I knew, I now take 2 per day.... yea I know, if only 2 per day why bother ?? I also am 61, and enjoy a ciggie, leper that I am.

Also no smoking in the house these last 4 years since grandchildren arrived so hubby has to go out to the garage which is not attached to the house, so its coat/scarf etc and now there is a heater in the garage but its still cold.

Also, here in UK Wellbrutin (known as Zyban) is prescribed for smoking cessation and not for depression so that particular drug may help you on two fronts, i.e. the depression and also the smoking issue.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

You should be OK taking Wellbutrin as far as your RLS is concerned. It doesn't usually make RLS worse, and can even help ease it a bit. Good luck with it.
Susan

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

I had an interesting experience yesterday when I went to my neuro. He is a young man. I have only been to him 3 times. At first, my impression was that he didn't know much about RLS. But he seemed willing to work with me. I took him the Mayo Clinic Algorithm,and an article on augmentation. At one visit I explained that vicodin helped my RLS especially in an emergency when my legs were acting up in spite of the Mirapex. He was very hesitant to give me a prescription. But he finally gave me 15 pills. This time, in our conversation he ask if the vicodin helped me. Yes, they did. He said, "You know vicodin is used in the treatment of RLS. DUH! So, he either remembers I told him that or he read it in the material I gave him. So he gave me another prescription for 15 vicodin. I think he and I are going to get along.

Funny, I felt sneaky. Like I was looking for drugs. Ha---15 pills. I didn't tell him that the doctor that did my sleep study gave me 10 vicodin. Maybe thats why I felt sneaky. They make you feel that way because of their atitude toward giving you an opiate.

Anyway, thats my story.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I guess I'm glad I quit long before the RLS was a nightmare.

In retrospect, it didn't make the RLS worse when I did quit. I gained 30 pounds, but lost most of it over time....until I gained 50 with Mirapex, lol.

I'm still happier being fat than being a smoker. It wasn't good for me, my family, or anyone around me. It took me 15 years of cutting back, not allowing myself to smoke in the house, etc. etc. before I finally quit for good. Like PB, I smoked just 2 a day for a long while before I finally said, ENOUGH!

Guess I'm getting off track - sorry.

Whatever you do, I hope it works and I hope it doesn't make the RLS worse.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

you should be ok, you know, if you're determined to quit. Nothing about it should make your RLS worse except perhaps the stress, and that's temporary. I am SO glad I quit. I feel totally different.

Andreadrea

Post by Andreadrea »

I quit about 2 years ago. After several failed attempts, my acupuncturist suggested I try a treatment she does, where you go in for several days in a row for a brief treatment. Not sure how it works but it does work. My RLS was worse for the first 72 hours, and I had a lot of trouble sleeping. After that I was fine. So if you can make it to the 72 hour mark, you'll probably be home free.