erratic effect of narcotic medication

Use this section to discuss your experiences with prescription drugs, iron injections, and other medical interventions that involve the introduction of a drug or medicine into the body. Discuss side effects, successes, failures, published research, information about drug trials, and information about new medications being developed.

Important: Posts and information in this section are based on personal experiences and recommendations; they should not be considered a substitute for the advice of a healthcare provider.
badnights

erratic effect of narcotic medication

Post by badnights »

Has anyone else been affected very differently by the same amount of medication on different nights, with no other medication changes to account for it? I take 12 to 15 mg hydromorph contin. Generally about 2 hr later, or 4 if the EkD is strong, I feel alerted and focused (just when I should be going to bed, which is why I also need a bit of zopiclone, a sleeping aid).

But tonight I feel very wierd. OK, stoned, but I don't like the feeling, it is distinctly unpleasant. Wavery, tired, detached, woozy. This has happened very rarely before. I can't account for it by anything else I'm taking. It worries me. Why would my body react this differently?

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

No idea, Beth. Sometimes there are weird interactions between foods and medications. Grapefruit juice is the one that comes to mind as something that can radically affect the metabolism of many medications, but there are others. Did you eat anything that you don't normally eat? Take cough syrup with with dextromethorphine (sp)? Take the zopiclone and forgot that you took it?

Since no one else answered yet, I'm guessing that it doesn't happen often. Sometimes it seems like my methadone doesn't do anything, but I never feel stoned from it.
Susan

badnights

Post by badnights »

Thanks, Susan. I racked my brain to think of what I might have done, and could think of nothing. I've been fine since then, but I feel uneasy. I wish I could trust what was going to happen.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's never happened to me, either.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Laurachrissy

Post by Laurachrissy »

Beth, read under MORE COMMON REACTIONS....Nervous System: and also the Nervous System reactions under LESS COMMON REACTIONS a little further down the page. Also, read the Tolerance issue with LONG TERM use. Maybe there is a link and maybe you need to stop or change the med. temporarily with your doctor's guidance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zopiclone#Indications

Hope you can figure this out soon.

badnights

Post by badnights »

thanks much! It wasn't the zopiclone tho, I hadn't even consumed it yet. I had only taken the hydromorph contin. I should have made that clear in the initial post (but I was impaired at the time I wrote it!).

The "less common" nervous system reactions to zopiclone are remarkable, aren't they!